TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

Looks like this *could* be a giga coaster:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/09/18/4323933/new-carowinds-ride-to-be-70-feet.html#.UjqthhC76tN

"Cedar Fair Entertainment, the parent company of Carowinds, plans to build a 300-foot-tall roller coaster – 70 feet taller than the park’s biggest attraction, the Intimidator – according to a closed-session transcript the Charlotte City Council released Wednesday."

I am guessing this might be another coaster similar to Leviathan at CW...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I'm not gonna complain about another 300ft coaster somewhere. Still, I don't know that it'll get me to rush down to Carowinds unless it does something particularly amazing. Hopefully a chunk of that $30 mil gives the park some charm and revamps some of the tired concrete spaces it has like the former Wayne's World area.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

lol what? I'm ecstatic... not sure why you wouldn't love this, even if it does turn out to be a B&M. I can't believe people are complaining about a potential giga coaster.

Haters gotta hate, I guess?

I'd be very surprised if it's an Intamin given the lengthy downtime of I-305 this year.

Intimidator 305's downtime has nothing to do with it. The new coaster has most likely been in the pipeline for years.

I305 was back in 2010... They could have easily of had B&M make them a ride in 2-3yrs given the troubles with I305.

I think Cedar Fair in general has seen the light given the nightmares a few of the Intamin installations had been. While great rides, they are nightmares for maintenance and issues.

B&M's are SMART decisions for parks. Spend a little more but get a very reliable attraction that you know will not have many headaches. While Intamin offer more dynamic, intense designs... You can expect some issues to go along with it in terms of keeping it running.

I think Cedar Fair is smart to go with B&M's, even if the enthusiast community is less than excited about it. I have not been impressed nor excited about many of the more modern Intamin designs. I miss what they did around 2000 compared to today.

I305 was back in 2010... They could have easily of had B&M make them a ride in 2-3yrs given the troubles with I305.

I think Cedar Fair in general has seen the light given the nightmares a few of the Intamin installations had been. While great rides, they are nightmares for maintenance and issues.

B&M's are SMART decisions for parks. Spend a little more but get a very reliable attraction that you know will not have many headaches. While Intamin offer more dynamic, intense designs... You can expect some issues to go along with it in terms of keeping it running.

I think Cedar Fair is smart to go with B&M's, even if the enthusiast community is less than excited about it. I have not been impressed nor excited about many of the more modern Intamin designs. I miss what they did around 2000 compared to today.

To each his own. Personally, while I still like Apollo's Chariot and Griffon at BGW, and inverts such as the Batman clones and Afterburn at Carowinds, most of the newer B&Ms have been, well, just average rides (Hair Raiser at Ocean Park in Hong Kong is an exception). As an example, I was pretty much done with Gatekeeper after riding it twice at Cedar Point in June; however, I would've been quite happy to ride Maverick and Millennium Force all day.

Using the Mitch Hawker poll...

Intamin coasters built in the last 15 years in the top 10 steel coaster poll: 8

B&M coasters built in the last 15 years in the top 10 steel coaster poll: 2

How about the top 15?

Intamin coasters built in the last 15 years in the top 15 steel coaster poll: 10

B&M coasters built in the last 15 years in the top 15 steel coaster poll: 2

I think the Intamin fans have a point here.

You can't even compare the two, Intamin is lightyears better. I don't get how you can say Leviathan is more intense or better of a coaster. Seriously, B&M is still using chain lifts instead of an elevator cable. On i305 it's almost as if you are catapulted into the first drop, while Leviathan you slowly crest the top.