TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Best Woodie under 75 feet Tall

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Giant Dipper (SCBB). Runs very smooth thanks to how very well maintained it is (a few potholes are present at the bottoms of the first and second drops though). Great airtime in the back seat and some extreme laterals in the fan turns. It also has Morgan trains that are actually GOOD. Just a single position lap bar and nothing else, makes for some quick dispatches and lots of .

GDSCBB1.jpg.787b4be0f3d69987e97470b62d081a42.jpg

GDSCBB2.jpg.3d72309ee01ad46a30e0d2042530a78e.jpg

GDSCBB3.jpg.595f117808671932dc8a1e160784122c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Giant Dipper (SCBB). Runs very smooth thanks to how very well maintained it is (a few potholes are present at the bottoms of the first and second drops though). Great airtime in the back seat and some extreme laterals in the fan turns. It also has Morgan trains that are actually GOOD. Just a single position lap bar and nothing else, makes for some quick dispatches and lots of .

Those trains are the reason I don't totally hate Morgan trains. I'd still prefer the old Prior & Church trains as that's my all-time favorite design, but I'm very thankful the Morgans don't seem to detract at all from Giant Dipper.

For a woodie that is under 75 feet tall, my vote will have to be on Kennywood's "The Jack Rabbit". This coaster was designed with the natural terrain in mind, therefore using less wood in its construction. And the double dip is still my favorite part of the ride.

"I'm not perfect; I just love to ride"

It took some searching to find the small woodies I have rode, but I found a keeper above the likes of Blue Streak. How about CCI's 2nd woodie or GCI's prototype woodie, the Outlaw at Adventerland in Altoona/ Des Moines, IA. The other Short woodie I would through out there is High Roller @ Valleyfair.

Zippin Pippin is only 70ft tall, and it is an incredible ride. The first half, while rough, has some great drops, and the out-and-back section is filled with airtime. The last hill is very violent, and it is probably one of, if not the most extreme airtime moment on a coaster I've ridden. The rest of the ride isn't tame by any stretch, but the ride is still amazing. While it isn't my favorite coaster, it is in my top 10, and a definite OMFG ride.

I have been on exactly one wooden coaster under 75 feet tall, and it's not exactly the most well-known coaster on earth.

Cannonball Run in Waterville USA, Gulf Shores, AL. It's a nice little 1995 CCI out-and-backer standing 65 feet high. It's less than 2,000' long and a ride generally consists of two circuits. While not a particularly intense coaster, it's pretty fun, and is extremely picturesque against the sand and palm trees. Haven't been on it since Hurricane Ivan did a serious number on the park in '04 but it has been lovingly restored and still operates, though the park itself isn't that large or well-off and despite having some nice slides I'm shocked it has stayed open as long as it has... nevertheless Cannonball Run is the last significant coaster in Alabama since Rampage went SBNO so I do hope the park keeps operating for years to come!

I haven't been on many, but I would say Giant Dipper at SCBB takes the cake. Otherwise I've just been on the junior woodies at KI and KD... I may have ridden some other sub-75 footers but they didn't make a big enough impression for me to bother looking up their heights.

After riding a couple more since the last time I chimed in, I'll restate that Coaster at PNE Playland is still the best.

The other day someone told me that was probably the worst coaster they had ever ridden. Blasphemy.

Someone??????

Post their full name and address so I can send them hate mail!

It doesn't exist anymore, but the Giant Coaster at Crystal Beach was a classic side-friction woodie that I will remember for the rest of my life. As for a small woodie that still exists, the Leap the Dips has to be my favorite. It's a one-of a kind coaster from the Turn of the century... not very thrilling, but still fun, especially for the kids!!