TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

On 6/11/2023 at 6:52 AM, VF15 said:

Headed to Canada’s Wonderland for the first time next week (Sunday and Monday). I hear the park has a reputation for always being fairly busy so guessing it would probably be worth splurging on Fast Lane at least one day? Any underrated flats I should hit, and anything else a first timer should know?

If you're looking to purchase Fast Lane, I would probably recommend getting it for the Sunday as weekends are usually very busy at Canada's Wonderland unless there is inclement weather, such as rain. As for the Monday, the park shouldn't be too busy as local schools are still in session and many schools do go to Canada's Wonderland for field trips, but they usually leave by 4:30pm at the latest.

When going on the Monday, just be aware that many food locations may be closed as that has been a common occurrence for the month of May and the early part of June (as of last week) as it isn't peak season yet. As a regular visitor and having Canada's Wonderland as my home park, I would definitely recommend getting on Shockwave, Sledge Hammer, Wilde Knight Mares, and the new Tundra Twister is you're looking for some unique flat rides. For more classic flat rides I would recommend Spinovator (Mack Calypso), Klockwerks (Huss Swing Around), and Swing of the Century (Zierer Wave Swinger). There are many other flat rides to check out too that I did not mention! 

One last thing, if possible, get there before opening (park opens at 10am, front gate opens around 9:30am) as there can be quite the crowd at the entrance. Also, be sure to have fun! :)

One other thing to know is that a lot of their coasters aren't on Fastlane. The really good ones are, but Bat, Dragon Fyre, Fly, Thunder Run and Wonder Mountain's Guardian are not. If you care about riding those then rope drop them or save them for the day that you don't have Fastlane.

The Wonder Mountain's Guardian line has a habit of being perpetually awful

Edit: Sorry- just saw Bill's message.  There's mostly repeat info here.  🤦‍♂️

Flat Ride recommendations: Sledge Hammer (world's only Huss Jump2), Skyhawk (Gerstlauer Sky Roller), and Wild Knight Mares (rare Huss UFO).

Fun Tip:  Get to the park at opening and head directly to Wonder Mountain's Guardian (left side of Wonder Mountain). If it's not open, go around to the other side of the mountain and try Thunder Run.  Both rides are not on FastLane and are low-capacity and get long lines, so knocking either (or both) out early is what I try to do.  And while in this area, if The Fly does not have a long line, I'd grab a ride on it as well as it too is not on FL.  

Obvious Tip: Buy FastLane Plus. It will get you onto the 3 B&M's relatively quickly and allows multiple rides if you like them well enough. It also comes in handy on Vortex, Backlot Stunt Coaster, Boo Blasters, and some of the flats. 

Obvious Tip 2: Unless you absolutely need the credits, Flight Deck and Time Warp are completely skippable! 

I'm a big fan of Wonderland as they have a unique selection of rides and coasters.  Getting there is a pain as traffic is usually a mess (and if you take the 407 ETR, it can be a $70 USD price tag for a roughly 60 mile round trip) and long gone are the days when the park was surrounded by trees and fields, but the park is clean, has a great entrance plaza, and the employees are friendly and seem to do a good job of moving people through the ride lines.  Food lines on the other hand... not so much!  Enjoy your trip!

Disappointed that pretty much every food place directed people to the lazy bear lodge / closed with signs out front. They only have 5 or 6 food options at the lodge. I could understand sending people there with more choices but a ton of food places were closed today.

Rode Tundra Twister today for the first time. I gotta say it was a bit underwhelming. Not as fast as I had hoped and we didn't really flip just had one extended upside-down move but other than that pretty lackluster. I'll give it another shot later this season may have just been a bad cycle or weight distribution.

Also shout out to the ""iiiiiiitttttssss HAMMMMERRRRRR TIMMMMMEEE" guy. I dunno how you do it all day but you are legendary.

If you know, you know.

On 6/19/2023 at 9:27 PM, anonymouscactus said:

Disappointed that pretty much every food place directed people to the lazy bear lodge / closed with signs out front  

Yeah, one doesn’t really eat food at wonderland. There is a wing place and some other restaurants across the parking lot. 

On 6/19/2023 at 9:27 PM, anonymouscactus said:

Disappointed that pretty much every food place directed people to the lazy bear lodge / closed with signs out front. They only have 5 or 6 food options at the lodge. I could understand sending people there with more choices but a ton of food places were closed today.

Rode Tundra Twister today for the first time. I gotta say it was a bit underwhelming. Not as fast as I had hoped and we didn't really flip just had one extended upside-down move but other than that pretty lackluster. I'll give it another shot later this season may have just been a bad cycle or weight distribution.

Also shout out to the ""iiiiiiitttttssss HAMMMMERRRRRR TIMMMMMEEE" guy. I dunno how you do it all day but you are legendary.

If you know, you know.

The limited number of dining locations on weekdays in May and June has been a common occurrence this year. I was a bit surprised to see Backlot Cafe closed the last time I was at the park. It has some of the better options for food. 

As for Tundra Twister, I find it to be a really fun ride. Depending on the ride cycle, it can provide some intense head dives towards the ground and some awesome hangtime. You will definitely need to ride it a few times as each ride cycle provides a slightly different experience. 

The crew on Sledge Hammer have been very interactive with the riders this year and last year! It definitely adds to the experience! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Though I know there's no way on earth that the Blast Coaster would be anywhere near as intense as Volcano was, anything to recapture that essence would be awesome in my book.

The last one made me laugh..."multiple classic audio tracks played by some of Canada's greatest bands!"  How do I just know it's going to include Nickleback hahahaha.

6 hours ago, anonymouscactus said:

Just going to leave these here.... Wonderland sent out a survey of future concepts that could come to the park... here are the 3 coasters and descriptions and mock ups!

Screenshot_20230711-154046.thumb.png.21f06da0ac421b9f3afd2790a7a203ab.png

Screenshot_20230711-154158.thumb.png.19f1b654338363bdfa515f2515e674e9.png

Screenshot_20230711-154315.thumb.png.86ed4ac75167434b3cac06a6b040c989.png

Thoughts? Time to get ride of Wonder Mountains Guardian, lol!

I know these are just ideas right now, but I honestly hope they don't ever touch Wonder Mountain like they propose in the first concept. Maintaining the iconic look of Wonder Mountain is something I prefer.

As for the second concept, it sounds interesting and something they could put in the old Action Theatre area. I was finally able to ride Mystic Timbers at Kings Island back in April and really enjoyed it. So a wooden coaster like that in Frontier Canada would be a great idea. As for the third concept, it seems like an odd choice, but would make great use of the Kingswood Music Theatre. Lol

The next few years at Canada's Wonderland could be interesting. :)

• Like 2

I absolutely love the on-board audio concept for the launched wing coaster.  The options for Canadian music are endless.  Corey Hart, Men Without Hats, Glass Tiger, The Tragically Hip, Alanis Morissette, Trans-X, Platinum Blonde... I guess you could throw Rush in there since they seemed to have a few hits over the years 😂   

Just leave Nickelback out.  Never got into them even before they were cool to hate!  

• Like 1

I have lots of issues with Wonder Mountain: The Blast Coaster.

1) Can it coexist with Vortex? Thunder Run? I don't really care about Wonder Mountain's Guardian in it's current form. It's an upgrade over Thunder Run but it would be a shame to lose it. It would probably be a downgrade from Vortex and it would probably require them to remove more than one ride.

2) It looks like shit. So Wonder Mountain would have an off-center inversion coming out of it and spit fire now? lol why?

3) Where would the rest of the ride even go? I just imagine an ugly mess of track over everything.

4) If you want to build a wing coaster, please just demolish Time Warp and that awful SLC.

The other 2 concepts seem great.

• Like 2

I just noticed that wooden "mine" coaster has what looks to be a spiral lift hill.  Wonder if they would consider a Canadian Zambezi Zinger-type ride.  Thinking about it, CW really needs a good wooden coaster.  Both MineBuster and Wild Beast are horrendous, so something like this would probably be a welcome and popular addition.  

And to also add to what Bill said, why would they even consider turning Wonder Mountain, the park's longtime icon, into a Volcano-type ride?  That looks hideous.  At least with Vortex and WMG they aren't visible from International Street and don't interfere with the mountain's aesthetics.  This would change the park forever, and honestly, I don't think in a good way.  Just my two cents as usual.  

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I had visited Canada's Wonderland for the first time in three weeks as I had visited Six Flags Great America, Six Flags St. Louis, and Indiana Beach two weeks ago. Since my last visit to Canada's Wonderland, they had changed the opening times for White Water Canyon and Timberwolf Falls from 11am on weekdays to 12pm on weekdays, with the opening of both rides at 11am on the weekends.

It was a bit of a surprise for me and some other guests yesterday as they both opened at 11am for many years. I am wondering if a staffing issue has caused the new hours of operation for White Water Canyon and Timberwolf Falls as it's not like the park isn't busy during the summer months. Hopefully this change doesn't last for too long as it can be quite hot outside by 11am this time of year. :)

White Water Canyon's new opening time:

IMG_1586.thumb.JPG.940e07ce4a6783a3cce0658d04ef2809.JPG

Timberwolf Falls new opening time:

IMG_1587.thumb.JPG.8ca66bb16cb5c3da4cc668919e1a7c22.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Wow, it's been a while since anything was shared here! Here is some news coming from the park today! Xtreme Skyflyer is being removed before the start of the 2024 season. Details below! 

XtremeSkyflyerRemovalAnnouncementFebruary2024.PNG.e8a29f47d608a38a5c9345b8ba30cf7d.PNG

I was glad to have finally gained the courage to ride Xtreme Skyflyer last July! It'll be interesting to see what takes up the space where Xtreme Skyflyer had stood since 1996! :)

So according to Amusement Insider's new video, there is a footer right outside of the service tunnel which basically all but erases the possibility of any B&M's which I am quite happy about.  1:50 is where the best angle to view this is.The tunnel is too narrow for four across seats plus having enough space for regular maitenance inside the tunnel.

I'm assuming a launched Mack/Vekoma is coming our way... time will tell for where the station will be located between the theatre/Crystal Palace/SkyFlyer plot and hopefully it'll give Levi a run for its money.

Variety is the spice of life and current;y the top 3 is all floater. An ejector machine and a modern family woodie is what we currently need the most.

Last I checked Gerstlauer, Mack & Vekoma were fairly reliable, it's okay to give them a chance as well... that's what everyother park does.