TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Favorite Morgan hyper

What's your favorite Morgan hyper?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite Morgan hyper?

• Mamba
    • Steel Force
    • Steel Eel
    • Wild Thing
    • Steel Dragon 2000
    • Superman el Ultimo Escape
    • Phantom's Revenge

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say Phantom, if we are counting coasters that part Morgan. This is just not a complete Morgan coaster. I mean the first two hills make the ride and they were made and designed by Arrow. No offense to anyone, but I dont see how you can include it in the Morgan category.

So if S&S makes new trains for X, would we now consider it to be an S&S coaster?

So if S&S makes new trains for X, would we now consider it to be an S&S coaster?

You're stretching really hard there.

Think about it. Morgan re-did at least 80% of that ride. The first drop wouldn't have changed much because it goes to the edge of the park and fits in a tight space. The second drop wouldn't change because that was the whole point of building the ride in the first place. Besides those two drops, the ride is completely different. The large majority of the ride is Morgan, and was designed in a Morgan way. There is a lot more to the ride than the first two drops. They make up a fraction of the ride's entirety.

-Scott "I don't get why this is such an issue" Parrish

I hav'nt ridden any morgan coasters so I can't put a vote in. However, from what I've heard 'Phantoms revenge' is miles better than the others. On Mitch's poll Phantom is 14th the next on in the list (steel force) is 76th, heck 'AIR' beat that.

If Morgan ever do make another coaster (which I highly doubt since the number of Hypers being build has been decreasing at an alarming rate) I hope its built like Phantom.

I say Phantom, if we are counting coasters that part Morgan. This is just not a complete Morgan coaster. I mean the first two hills make the ride and they were made and designed by Arrow. No offense to anyone, but I dont see how you can include it in the Morgan category.

Now you are just being silly. The first drop is Arrow and in my opinion the only thing that was right about Steel Phantom. The rest of the ride is all Morgan (only about the first 10% of the second drop is Arrow, the rest of which was reprofiled by Morgan).

In my opinion, Phantom's Revenge is a Morgan coaster.

Isn't it already

It is also a lot faster going through the helix whereas Steel Force sort of meanders through its.

How many times have you road Steel Force ? It DONT meander through anything, especially its helix.

Actually, it DOESN'T meander...

Grammar aside, though the only place Steel Force meanders is over the top of the first hill, which is kind of awesome. That was a dark horse for me. I hadn't heard great things about it, but it was a lot of fun!

^I agree with you that Steel Force seemed to retain more speed throughout than, say, Mamba or Wild Thing. Especially after the break run - the bunny hops just seemed wilder on SF. But to be fair, I rode them each like a year or two apart, so my perspective could be skewed.

Here's my Take on the Phantom's Revenge dilema:

Arrow Dynamics and Morgan Manufacturing were basically the same company. Dana Morgan hired Ron Toomer to be head of Arrow Development, which turned into Arrow Dynamics. Both companies were started by Morgan, and therfore, should be taken into account. I'm not saying the Magnum, Desparado, Titan, and Big One are Morgans, but the Phatom's Revenge most definetly is!!!

Steel Phantom--Arrow Dynamics

Phantom's Revenge--Morgan Manufacturing.

Does anyone get what I'm saying here?

• 7 years later...

Only ridden Wild Thing, so that would have to be my favorite Morgan hyper. I don't think it's as boring as most other enthusiasts say it is, but it still isn't the "OMG INSANE" ride the GP makes it out to be. It has some pretty good postive G's in several spots, and great airtime on the second hill . I just wish they would run it with light/no trims, but in true Valleyfair fashion, it is trimmed to the point where airtime on the second half of the ride is minimal.

If I had to choose the best looking Morgan based on POVs, I'd say Phantom's Revenge, or if you're strictly talking 100% Morgans, probably Steel Eel, even though it technically isn't a hyper.

Phantom's Revenge is nuts. You watch on-ride videos and you're like, "looks like great airtime" but then you ride the thing and you're like "this is startling airtime".

1. Phantom's Revenge. What needs to be said? Amazing airtime and terrain usage.

2. Mamba, Steel Eel, and Steel Force. Of the three, only Steel Eel seems to be known for consistent airtime. The others seem to vary a lot in experience and get mixed reviews at best, but I've had some great airtime-filled rides on all three. Mamba also has the bonus of seriously convincing headchoppers in its helix.

5. Wild Thing. One or two good pops of air, but mostly underwhelming.

And for the record, I rank Lightning Run just a touch below Phantom's Revenge (they have a lot in common), and I generally like the Morgan hypers better than the Arrow hypers.

1. Phantom's Revenge - This ride is amazing. It's got a unique layout, uses its terrain brilliantly, and is an absolute airtime machine. Still in my Top 10.

2. Steel Eel - It may be small, but it's still a really fun hyper coaster, with a cool mixture of floater air and ejector air.

3. (Tie) Steel Force, Mamba, & Wild Thing - They're fun. Not much else to say.

The only Morgan coasters I've ridden are Steel Force and the Santa Monica West Coaster. Of the 2 I might actually prefer West Coaster, lol. I like Steel Force but for a hyper it's nothing special at all. Since it's the only one I've ridden I'd have to go with that but I won't vote as I have nothing to compare it to.

Honestly, Morgan was really smart to have come in and redone Steel Phantom. Those Arrow-ish trains and their wacky sideways lap bars that don't really get snug on your lap let you get crazy airtime over those hills. I haven't ridden closer to the back so I wonder how that double-bump is like there. Must be crazy.