TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

Congratulations to Silver Dollar City and Outlaw Run for coming in #3 in the big Wood Coaster Poll!

Such a solid awesome ride!

Wow that is great. Honestly I think it deserved number one. It is the most unique, intense and awesome roller coasters ever constructed. I'm not trying to create fanboy fights but I think outlaw run is better than el toro

And I'm sure it placed as high in the poll as it did because of people like you. Location and knowledge of the park may have played as big of a role in the ranking of Outlaw Run as the fact that it was a first year entry. It's just not a destination park like the big parks are, and without Robb and Elissa and TPR's videos and trip reports, even some enthusiasts wouldn't have SDC high on their lists of must attend parks. I'm excited to see what the increase in popularity of the park due to great additions and great publicity will bring in the years to come.

• 2 weeks later...
^ Obviously everyone is different, so it's hard to say. But, when I was there with TPR in August I fit with a small nudge from a friend. I'm 6'6", bigger waist and I have big thighs as well.

Oh yeah, I think you messaged me about that. I couldn't remember if it was before or after the adjustments when you rode it though.

I feel a bit better about heading down there. I'm 5'7'' and around 200 but I have pretty big thighs. Of course, I will still enjoy the park regardless if I can ride it or not, but it would be an unfortunate 18 hour roundtrip and not be able to ride the main attraction.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm planning on visiting SDC over spring break in a few weeks and I have some quick questions:

1. What is a good, but inexpensive hotel in the area(less than $50-$60 a night)?

2. I'm planning on being by myself, is there enough to warrant spending 2 days at the park?

3. Are there single rider lines?

4. I think that the day's that I'm planning on going are Math/Science day and the first day of the Christian Youth Weekend. Any thoughts on what kind of crowds I might experience?

5. Is there anything around Branson that is a must see/do attraction?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts...

1. There are at least a few hotels that meet your price range in Branson, though a few might not be open quite yet. I've stayed at the Spinning Wheel Inn in the past, very nice for around $50 a night, and they have a sister hotel also with the same price. If the Homestay Inn is open I stayed there for around the same price.

2. This will depend on you and how much you plan on doing non-ride things in the park. I usually go solo for 2 days and take in the shows, shops, and spend a lot of time walking around taking in the atmosphere. There's also the cave tour to consider. Frankly I think the park benefits from taking it at a slower pace.

3. Nope, sorry.

4. I've never been during that time but I've heard that Young Christian's Weekend tends to flood the park with teenagers who will probably be...acting like teenagers. I'm sure Math and Science day will only add to that. There will also be some shops not open and shows not running.

5. Unless you're into shows of the older country star or Hillbilly variety, not really. The Herschend dinner attractions (Showboat, Dixie Stampede) are fun as is Ride the Ducks. Nothing mandatory though. And though I have never sought them out, I know there plenty of places to do nature-y things, and the area off of the strip is gorgeous.

I'm planning on visiting SDC over spring break in a few weeks and I have some quick questions:

1. What is a good, but inexpensive hotel in the area(less than $50-$60 a night)?

2. I'm planning on being by myself, is there enough to warrant spending 2 days at the park?

4. I think that the day's that I'm planning on going are Math/Science day and the first day of the Christian Youth Weekend. Any thoughts on what kind of crowds I might experience?

I'm visiting SDC for my very first time in 2 weeks from today and I found a really good deal on SDC's website through a resort called Still Waters Condo Resort. They have newly remodeled rooms so hopefully it's nice. It includes SDC tickets into the cost.

1. Nearly all the motels in Branson are around this price range. You'll have no shortage of options. Personally, I like the Outback Motel on 76. They have an Australian restaurant that is maybe not authentic but certainly good.

2. Yes, two days. Spring Break is a very busy time. There's not a whole lot to do in the Ozarks this time of year--most things open later in the spring--so SDC's opening is kind of a big deal to families with kids.

3. No, they experimented with that last year for Outlaw Run's opening, but after a couple of weeks abandoned the idea. Fortunately, lines are never really all that long at SDC. Hit up Powder Keg first; its line moves the slowest.

4. Oh crap. Yeah, we avoid that weekend. It's extremely popular around here. For Christian Youth weekend, they always get some Christian rock band to put on a concert, and that's included in the ticket price. This part of the world is very red and very heavily evangelical Protestant, so people go nuts for that sort of thing.

5. Nope. SDC is it. There's mini golf and go karts and that sort of thing. Fun, but nothing that you can't find elsewhere. Take a drive around and look at the scenery. The Ozarks are absolutely beautiful. If you have GPS, then get off onto some of the back roads. We blast through the mountains to build the highways, but the back roads wind around and you'll find some spots with scenery like you can't find anywhere else.

Edited by ytterbiumanalyst

While you are at the park do not miss a Marvel Cave tour!

SDC has LONG been on my list of parks that I really want to visit, and I just recently heard about this cave... I also quite enjoy caves. Can someone explain more of what this is / how long it takes to do? There is like a 20% chance of me hitting the park this summer...

While you are at the park do not miss a Marvel Cave tour!

SDC has LONG been on my list of parks that I really want to visit, and I just recently heard about this cave... I also quite enjoy caves. Can someone explain more of what this is / how long it takes to do? There is like a 20% chance of me hitting the park this summer...

It's a one-hour walking tour through a natural limestone cave below the park. This is SDC's original attraction; the Herschends were giving cave tours before there ever was a park here. Much of the cave has now been filled with concrete, so there are (mostly) level paths and steps, and there are also electric lights strung throughout the path, but a lot of the natural formations are completely intact. It will be the easiest spelunking you ever do, but it's still quite a bit of exercise. You will have to duck through parts, but you won't have to crawl at all. All tours are guided, and the path is clearly defined by concrete and handrails, so you won't get lost. It's a great time. Tours occur every 20 minutes, and the last one out is about an hour and a half before park closing. Get in line immediately after the last tour leaves, because space fills up quickly.

^Ha! But I will say that, it being my second visit, that was only a mild disappointment. Mainly I wish I could've ridden the funicular to the surface again. Also, the above review is great advice. The tours are popular, and for good reason!

^ Anyone has a photo of the new seat belts? Did Outlaw Run get the new shin bars?

I don't have any photos but it does have the new shin bars. The seat belts aren't uncomfortable and don't seem to limit the forces of the ride, but it has increaed dispatch times

Was Powder Keg running at all? I heard somewhere else that it tested at one point but didn't open. I also heard this was common for the ride at the beginning of the season. I hope it's running this coming Thursday and Friday because I'm visiting the park for the first time then. Also, with the addition of the seat belts, did they enable it so larger guests can ride again? I don't think I should have a problem with or without seat belts, just wondering.

Let's be honest...is there ever a ride like this where adding seat belts has killed the ride??? When you have extreme forces in play they really don't do much in altering the sensations. Didn't even feel them on NTAG or iRat.

Yeah, I agree with this and it does sound like they used the same loose style seat belts on Outlaw Run. I'm mainly sad because once again, a favorite of mine gets a seat belt but also this adds to the dispatch times. I remember they were already kind of slow because they had the guy come up after the initial check and check again. Again, I understand why it was done and I'm sure the ride experience hasn't changed.