TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 1989: Wicked Twister's permanent closure announced!

Just got back from my first trip to Cedar Point. What a great time! Exceeded everything I ever watched on tv, played on RCT as a kid, and youtube POV vids.

I'm 30 now, and I felt like a little kid running around all over the place riding everything! We stayed at Breakers Express which was good for what it is, and the early entry was awesome. A Wednesday with school in session, hardly any waits until after 3pm. Flew up Tuesday, went to Fat Head's brewery which is awesome, drove to the point, walked around the beach and took pictures and videos to kill some time.

We went straight to Maverick with early entry, what a fun little twisted buckaroo this is. That inverted drop is a good way to wake you up, and I tried to anticipate all the tight turns so I didn't destroy my head first thing in the morning. Had my Ma with me, took a shot to the ear so she started off a little rough but she liked the ride as well. We couldn't stop laughing, those are some messed up turns and transitions in there. And the launch is another good eye opener. Loved it! Rode it again later in the day even with a 1/2 hour wait.

Millennium Force was everything I could have hoped for. More laughing, hands up the whole time time - this baby books it! I really don't know what else to say. Rode it near the front the first time, later in the day was in the back row and thought I was going to be launched into the lake down the first drop. Amazing, perfect ride!

Walked over and got in line for Top Thrill around 9:40 , got right on. I've been on Kingda Ka and forgot what a rush that launch is. My heart was in my butt, and drool all over the place, my Ma held on for dear life and said after she wanted it to stop as soon as it took off. She didn't get to see the wonderful, peaceful view at the top because she had her eyes closed and never went back on it again. I got lucky later in the day, I guess it broke down big time while there was a huge line and everyone left.. But as I was on Mantis getting my balls tortured and crushed, I saw a few people walking back into the line so I got on again within 5 minutes. Love that launch!

Mantis - get rid of it, do something to it. Name it LeBron and send it to another city. Whatever Woman that hates men that designed this headbanging nut crusher, job accomplished. Jesus H what was I thinking.

Iron dragon, fun I guess.

The whole beach area with Gatekeeper is a fun around. I bounced around all the rides there - Wicked Twister a couple times, last row is mental. Maxair had me saying " Where the hell did everything go " while I was upsidedown. Raptor was a little rough but still a fun legendary inverted ride, and those ride operators get that line moving! The line was down to floor level and I was on in no time.

Now Gatekeeper - smooth fun ride - BUT !! I went on as a single rider and got my friggin arm STUCK in between my OTS bar and the empty seat's next to me. I put my arms up on the inverted drop and my right arm got caught between the two bars. The g's pushed the restraints down and I got pinched between both, and it hurt like hell with every inversion. I kept thinking, great - I'm going to lose my arm on this damn thing, make it stop soon. I wasn't even paying attention to the ride, just trying to get my arm free.. But it's a smooth, long, leisurely ride that seemed to know that I was in my own hell with my arm caught in the ride freaking out... So we pull into the station and there's me in the front row, with my arm still up, stuck, my bicep basically turning blue from cut off circulation and everyone looking at me like a doofus. Rode it again later, no arms up, good ride.

Um, rode pretty much everything at least once. Didn't do Mean Streak because I already beat the crap out of myself on Mantis and didn't need anymore pain.

Ate at Famous Dave's, great BBQ.

I'm sure there's more I should review but it hasn't all sunk in that I was actually there, and I had a few drinks on the layover on the way home. Overall a great time, will definitely be back again. I'd like to stay in the cabins around the camp ground with a bigger group probably in May while schools are still in.

Beautiful place, you got yourselves a winner up there - which is good, because doesn't seem like there's much else to do around those parts. Mekong is awesome awesome awesome also!

If I honestly had to choose between getting rid of Mantis or Mean Streak, I'd vote for Mantis. Mean Streak I expect to be a rough ride because it's a wooden. (And I honestly didn't have a bad experience on Mean Streak when I rode it last year. Maybe it's just me.) Mantis, though...CP could do without it.

If I honestly had to choose between getting rid of Mantis or Mean Streak, I'd vote for Mantis. Mean Streak I expect to be a rough ride because it's a wooden. (And I honestly didn't have a bad experience on Mean Streak when I rode it last year. Maybe it's just me.) Mantis, though...CP could do without it.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409324179.684072.jpg.93ebecc5252a33333812fc830982583d.jpg

Evil Streak is definitely coming CF has had to have noticed how well every single ride has come out. If they're worried about the NTAG accident they will realize that RMC didn't make that train and they now have a different type of train. Will Evil Streak come in 2015? Almost definitely not. But I bet it will close in the next year.

Evil Streak is definitely coming CF has had to have noticed how well every single ride has come out. If they're worried about the NTAG accident they will realize that RMC didn't make that train and they now have a different type of train. Will Evil Streak come in 2015? Almost definitely not. But I bet it will close in the next year.

It seems like Six Flags has an exclusivity deal with RMC for their I-Box track for the foreseeable future, no?

I guarantee this will be the Mantis makeover, and hopefully Mean Streak RMC.

I can almost guarantee not. The term "High Noon" was used which makes me immediately think of the old west (someone on another forum said something pirate related but high noon definitely is an old west term, other than meaning just "noon"). This would be Frontier Trail or Frontiertown. According to the Frontier Trail brochure for 2014 (http://i.pointbuzz.com/frontiertrail/frontier-trail-2-3.jpg), Mantis is not a part of the trail.

Then there was this tweet by Tony Clark about getting the third live cam going (one that many have speculated will be the cam that covers the new construction): https://twitter.com/TonyClarkCP/status/505012668475121665/photo/1

The cam, at that point, is facing over towards Frontiertown, with Mean Streak not even being in view.

Of course, the cams can be adjusted at any time without anyone getting up to them. But that may be a sign of what area the new attraction will be coming. Couple that with "high noon". Right now, it's still anyone's guess, not many clues to deal with.

My guess is something will replace the mine ride and a multi-year refresh of western town. High Noon seems to be a hint to. Maybe a location from the webcam? As in straight ahead?

What?

^Yes, but there is a third camera presently being installed. This is the one that everyone is assuming will be used for construction. It was this third cam that Tony tweeted about in the tweet that I linked.

The emphases on "Roller Coaster Capital of the World" really makes me think its a new/redo of a coaster.

I agree. I think that it is most likely going to be floorless trains on Mantis. I don't think it will be an Iron Horse of Mean Streak because they would have to have closed it already if they want it to be ready by Opening Day next year. It probably won't be a new coaster from scratch either because land clearing would've already started, and they probably would've been teasing us for the past month about it.

I'm confused. First you say It's definitely coming, than you say it's almost definitely not ( well, you said not in 2015). Cedar Fair LOVES B&M so I can almost guarantee the next coaster installed at a CP will be B&M, but I probably wouldn't bet on it this year. I would guess 2017 or later for CP's next major coaster.

I'm honestly hoping for a new flat ride, or a revamp of Frontier town, but we'll see what happens on the 2nd.

RMC only has 2 projects for 2015, as stated on their website. So rule out Iron Mean Streak. Or Steel streak.

Three. Don't forget Wildfire.

Wildfire will open in 2016. So it's technically a 2016 project.

At any rate, something tells me this won't be a coaster at all. The only clues we "may" have are

-High Noon (indicating old west)

-Camp Rou (indicating Rougarou which has nothing to do with the Old West)

The only clue we REALLY have is Jason McClure releasing to the press back in July that the 2015 addition will be aimed towards Teens and Thrill Seekers. Doesn't mean its a coaster or anything of that sort.

Then there are all of Tony's posts that went right in line with speculation on PointBuzz (Pirate Ride building, Blue Streak Midway, the bayou area, Mantis & Mean Streak). He's been having fun and playing lots of jokes to get people to throw out crazy ideas.

Edited by Coasterguy21