TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 2017: Top Thrill Dragster RETIRED!?!?!?

^

What makes you think that? The Intamins at Cedar Point and the other Cedar Fair parks have been hugely popular, and most are amazing coasters. There is no reason for them to not get more coasters from Intamin when they have been such big successes.

I say that because of the Perilous Plunge accident, Xcelerator cable snap, Mavericks heart-line roll, Intimidator 305 being to intense, and Shoot the rapids boats not fitting originally. Also, If you have noticed the last Cedar Fair Intamin install was Shoot the Rapids.

^Dang, with all the crazy fast coasters at Cedar Point I'm surprised this is happening for the first time just now! Or maybe not. Has a bird strike ever happened before on any other CP coaster?

I'm not gonna lie, though. That was kinda funny. I think we should nickname GateKeeper the Bird Striker.

Yup my mother was struck by a goose coming down the Top Thrill Dragster tower a couple years ago, luckily she had her arms up and was able to block the wing from hitting her face (she had a big bruise on her arm for awhile).

^Dang, with all the crazy fast coasters at Cedar Point I'm surprised this is happening for the first time just now! Or maybe not. Has a bird strike ever happened before on any other CP coaster?

I have seen it happen several times and not just with the coasters.

^

What makes you think that? The Intamins at Cedar Point and the other Cedar Fair parks have been hugely popular, and most are amazing coasters. There is no reason for them to not get more coasters from Intamin when they have been such big successes.

I say that because of the Perilous Plunge accident, Xcelerator cable snap, Mavericks heart-line roll, Intimidator 305 being to intense, and Shoot the rapids boats not fitting originally. Also, If you have noticed the last Cedar Fair Intamin install was Shoot the Rapids.

Oh lord, here we go.

Not gonna lie, I'm a tad unnerved by the fact that this is the second time in five years that a ride at Cedar Point has rolled backwards down its lift hill and crashed (Wildcat in 2008). It's not like this kind of thing historically happens TOO often...

I looked to see if this was already posted and couldn't find it. I apologize if I overlooked it.

It isn't about the Shoot the Rapids accident, but it could have been an accident had it been over about half a foot.

I think that was a mutant seagull! I seriously have never seen one that big before!

I looked to see if this was already posted and couldn't find it. I apologize if I overlooked it.

It isn't about the Shoot the Rapids accident, but it could have been an accident had it been over about half a foot.

I think that was a mutant seagull! I seriously have never seen one that big before!

This is what happens when the animals have a GREAT food source for half the year (park fast food).

^That's not going to happen. It isn't old, filled a gap in the water rides list in the park, and was a sizable investment. If anything it'll see work done to improve its reliability. It isn't going anywhere though.

^A lot of it honestly comes down to how it'll affect the company's relation with its shareholders. Despite an accident being bad publicity (obviously) it would be a big issue for shareholders to see the park just up and dismantle a ride and give up on it after a few seasons and one serious incident. It was an expensive ride and would come off as the park just throwing away its money which wouldn't be good in the eyes of its investors. Otherwise we would never have seen parks continuously attempt to save rides with issues such as SoB, the Windseekers, etc.

It's entirely possible though that the ride will receive new boats if they feel this will help make the ride a bigger and more reliable asset to the park.

Random, but what do you guys think of Cedar Point adding a pier onto Lake Erie since they are running out of room in their park?

^ Never going to happen.

But there is still plenty of room for new additions all around the park.

Never say never. A pier for shops, food, and maybe some arcades wouldn't be such a bad idea considering Cedar Point is a resort. However building one for a roller coaster is more unlikely

IDK. It's just an idea I had. I was thinking like one coaster (maybe like Grona Lund's Twister or Santa Cruz Beach's Giant Dipper), or a ZacSpin (but that's unlikely now cuz of Intamin and Shoot-the-Rapids) but then mostly shops, food, and maybe carnival-esque flat rides. It was just an idea. *shrugs*

This exact subject was discussed just a few pages back. Cedar Point doesn't own past the "average water line" into the water. It would take going through a lot of red tape for something they could just as easily build on land. I remember these discussions on forums and Usenet groups back in the 90s - and yet the park always finds ways space to add things.

I have been working 15 hours a day this week, and not really followed these accidents.

After reading through the info available on this accident, I can only imagine how embarrassed Intamin must feel.

An anti rollback not working in this day and age is just a plain and simple embarrassment.

I think it's pretty early to start saying anyone is to blame. If it's iintamin's fault then sure, they should be embarrassed, but until they officially release any information there no point to say any party is embarrassed. For all we know, CP could have modified parts of the system.

Edited by jray21

I was going to comment on the Shoot The Rapids first but that bird video caught my attention. I was almost laughing at how scared the employees were of removing that bird with tongs and gloves. What a bunch of wimps. It was funny someone in line said "be a man" and a guy finally removed that bird. Just the other day a bird was stuck in a corner of a building at work and I had to remove it, but it was a tiny one. And last year when I was driving home from LAX late at night a hawk dove in front of my SUV on the 101 near Arroyo Grande and got stuck on my car's deer guard. That was actually scary, as if I didn't swerve into the left lane, it may have hit my windshield. The next day I had to remove a beautiful hawk from the front of my car. The bird in the video looked like a sea gull, but a rather large one that probably snacked on a lot of Cedar Fair food.

Onto the Shoot the Rapids. First of all, I saw the POV of the ride and it looks lame except for the two drops - reaaaaalllly slooooooow moving in the flat parts and devoid of theming for the most part. Also I find it interesting that the big drop is first and the smaller drop is second. I've never seen that in a water ride before. Now on the accident, this was mechanical error meanwhile the NTAG accident was most likely a human error. That's scary that a ride that is only a few years old rolled down the lift hill and it tipped over to its side. The water doesn't look deep enough to drown anyone but luckily no one was injured too badly due to the shallowness of the water. Cedar Point is also lucky that this got overshadowed in the media due to the NTAG accident. Crazy week for amusement parks indeed.

Makes you wonder if the wheels didn't line up correctly with the track to cause the roll back.

that's what i was thinking. I've not examined the underside of the boats (i'd love to though!), but it looks to me like there is a "T" shaped bar on the lift and the descent that the boat holds on to. Divertical and Pilgrims Plunge (or whatever it's called now) have the same design. I guess something didn't align correctly where the "T" shaped bar begins, at the transition from the water trough to the lift. Seems like that might be fixed by making the space tighter so it will align correctly.

You can see the "T" shaped bar here in these construction pics...

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=864766#p864766 The 3/2/10 pic marked as "pretty"

and more here...

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=879837#p879837 The 6th pic down, the 17th pic down, and the 20th pic down shows the entrance to lift #1.