TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 2017: Top Thrill Dragster RETIRED!?!?!?

What should lines be like on Monday the 22nd? I know that it's impossible to be sure, but does anyone have a reasonable estimate? Also, does getting to the park at opening and hitting Maverick, Millenium, and Dragster in order first sound like a good plan? I'm a first-timer who only has one day, so any tips would be great. Thanks in advance.

You're plan would work with Maverick having only a 30 minute wait or so, but with Early Entry and all Millennium and Dragster will have waits anyway so it doesn't matter when you ride them....

Here are the average waits for the day:

Maverick: 1hr 15

Millennium: 1hr

Dragster: 1hr

Magnum: Less than 15

But, I think Ohio schools are back in session by then, so you might find yourself with an empty Cedar Point!

also, I'm not a regular but from my CP experiences if Dragster is running early in the day, go to it. Just like Kinga Ka here in Jersey, you never know when that thing will be up or down, if you see it operating, I suggest going there first. I'll be there next month and am going to go by that motto, I did it the year Maverick opened, my dad and I got on it when it opened towards the evening time, thank goodness we did because it was closed all day the next day. Just a suggestion, have a blast!!

Cedar Point opened Snoopy's present, and guess what was inside? Cookies, according to Screamscape.

(8/9/11) August 7th came and went and the big present for Snoopy at Cedar Point went down just like it did last year… it was a big box full of cookies that were shared with the guests in the area. So no new attraction announcement yet…

I'll put up a trip report later, but I just want to congratulate the CP staff for being amazing for the 4 days I visited. I especially want to acknowledge Corkscrew's crew on Tuesday night, they were hilarious!

Could you explain 'amazing'? Do you mean great capacity, friendliness, etc.?

I ask because while they do tend to have good capacity, I personally think they could do a little better with their friendliness...well at least compared to Kings Island's staff. It seems like the CP staff doesn't have any enthusiasm while the KI staff seemed to be up-beat and happy while I visited there this year.

^I mean friendliness and personality along with great capacity. The Corkscrew ops were actually singing songs like "Don't Stop Believing" or that ridiculous "Friday" by Rebecca Black, except they were replacing the words with stuff they were doing or things about the park, like "gotta check those seatbelts, lady in second row looking at me funny"... stuff like that. It was hilarious.

Plus Dragster always seems to have a real energetic crew, as with Maverick.

Millennium Force's crew just seemed to be having a really good time. There were maybe 6 or more people stuffed in the operator booth just hanging out, and they'd just whisper things over the mic or say things in these weird accents. I'm not sure if they were supposed to be there, but it was still pretty funny.

^^ I was at Cedar Point for the past 4 days (Saturday -- Tuesday), and found the staff to be the worst ever! It seems all the ride ops hate their jobs, and take it out us - their customers. I hope the new CEO Matt fixes that, since he comes from Disney.

My worst experience was at Magnum where this one female rideop (for no reason at all) slammed the lapbar into my legs while I was buckling the seat belt for the empty seat next to me , and made for a very painful ride. She was gone on break by the time my ride returned to the station. There's no need for that...

This park used to be great, but has deteriorated severely over the past 3 - 4 years. I grew up with this park so I know what it can be.

^I'm not sure if that was the ride ops fault, but just the actual restraint system. I had trouble with it when I alone was putting it on, as even if I tried to put it just right it'd fall back down to my thighs. This was the case with my cousin and dad as well.

That's the only bad part about Magnum- the ancient lapbars!

^I'm not sure if that was the ride ops fault, but just the actual restraint system. I had trouble with it when I alone was putting it on, as even if I tried to put it just right it'd fall back down to my thighs. This was the case with my cousin and dad as well.

That's the only bad part about Magnum- the ancient lapbars!

No this was the "pissed off" rideop's fault. She was in a mood, and took it out on me. The restraint system is fine, although a little difficult to enter and exit the train and I'm not a big guy. As I said previously, most if not almost all rideops are unhappy and show this to the G.P. This isn't my imagination, believe me.

You would think that the employees would be better now than ever with the economy the way it is. Cedar Fair can have it's pick of a lot more people.

I don't know if it's a chain wide thing, but I noticed that the Carowinds crews were horrific this year. No energy, no personality and just overall very slow. The only exception was Afterburn where the woman turned the Ride Spiel into a 90's rap style song. The best part was that the other operators were dancing along with it when they were waiting for the next train to roll into the station.

The Afterburn ride op was quite energetic when I visited last week as well... singing happy birthday to a guest and saying she loved everyone. I wonder if it was the same person.

I must say, I was at Kings Island for the first time on Sunday, and their ride ops seemed the most enthused and energetic out of KD, CP, Carowinds, and KI. Diamondback went down for 10-15 minutes due to a restraint issue, and while the ride was down the bar checker with the microphone was doing trivia about Diamondback and the park. It was pretty cool!

I really don't see the bad ride ops at Cedar Point. I go their 2 or 3 times a week because I live rather close to the park. Comparing this year to the past three years I actually see an improvement. The operations have been very quick this year and the employees seem very nice. Granted the ride operators do, the food services don't but they work in food services so I understand the hatred. But I'm actually very impressed with the employees and most of the rides have good ones, especially Maverick, Magnum, and Wicked Twister in my opinion.

Perhaps she got fired between the lap bar incident and the time you got back to the station. I've seen mostly good ride ops in my visits to Cedar, but there will always be some bad ones. Guests are getting worse now, especially those from the Cleveland area and Detroit were the mood is bad, it's hard to deal with the public.

^^^I think you need to realize that ride ops are people, too, and being secluded at a theme park for an entire summer is quite draining. By the end of the season most of us are just tired and want some sleep. Another big problem here is that a lot of people like to just cause unnecessary drama and that can really bring ride ops down. Usually if guests move quickly and have a good attitude, the ride ops will reciprocate. The one thing that would cheer me up is when a guest would say thank you after I check their seat. It's an unexpected pleasantry and it really helps lift our spirits. Having worked at Raptor, I know all about being disgusted with guests, and that's simply because nobody listens. If people would actually just move, ride ops would be happy all day long. There are some days when we simply lose our minds, too, and that's when you get things like people singing over spiels or talking in crazy accents. It's just how we get by.