TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

It looks like B&M track to me. Intamin track would be much thinner, and because of the design it's more flat across the top. In one of the pictures you can see the 2 distinct rails that stick out toward the right side of the tarp, which (at this point) eliminates the possibility of an Intamin design.

Then again, it could be a different type of ride never before seen, we just don't know.

It looks like the Breakers Express building behind the tarp, but why would they have pieces of track all the way out there?

i know this may not seem possible at this time, but could someone go over that fence, untie the string/rope and Blow REAL hard (or just look under the tarp, take a camera phone-pic and run like hell out of there).

I think I see B&M track, but not actual track-track..lol

It actually looks like the release bar(s) for the restraint-harness system. Hmmm, this is really going out on a limb, but does someone have an actual photo of a Floorless coaster (in the station) with the floor components in the release mode?...I'm thinking now its a floorless...(God help me now..lol).

It looks like B&M track to me. Intamin track would be much thinner, and in one of the pictures you can see the 2 distinct rails that stick toward the top, which eliminates the possibility of an Intamin design.

How do you know that a third rail isn't hidden deeper in the tarp? Honesntly, there was a defined flange around the end of the rail--B&M connects its track pieces at the spine, not at a rail.

-Jahan

Actually, theres a defined round plate on top which is obviously a connector to either a footer or support.

B&M's connectors to my knowledge are ALL square or rectangle - not round.

Intamins are round. So are Arrow S&S.

OK! I've got it!

My after-life self has risen from the dead and found that B&M &&&& Intamin has married once again and created a whole new track design. Its now a hybrid-Floorless Flyer coaster design that incorporates the "X"-style 4D version along with a set of cup-holders on each side for "our" guests. The contents also incorporate an MP3 player unit as so you can program your own ride while listening to your favorite Cyndi Lauper (lol) song. Oooh, and the best part? (per someone else's earlier suggestion) they incorporate a DM into the mix as it "SPlaaaaaaaaashes" down into a man-made lagoon. Did that cover all bases?

Wow i find it surprising that they already have track on site. It just seems really early in the year to already have track for a ride thats going to open next year. I'm kinnda getting the impression that this thing will be rather big...Anyone one else agree with that?

Yeah, I tend to agree, I think they're going to drop hints rather quickly and diverge the entire plans when they announce the ride. Announcing mid-summer gives them much more time to build a large ride, which this must be.

Someone posted some footers pics a while back, there were footers poured in a body of water, is that sandusky bay, or a lake inside the park. I'm still confused as to the exact location of these footers. Someone enlighten me, please.

-James

Yeah, I tend to agree, I think they're going to drop hints rather quickly and diverge the entire plans when they announce the ride. Announcing mid-summer gives them much more time to build a large ride, which this must be.

I don't think they're going to "diverge" the plans...however, I WOULD bet that they'll probably "divulge" them, though. Just my $.02

From Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary:

Diverge: 1 a : to move or extend in different directions from a common point : draw apart .

Divulge: 2 : to make known (as a confidence or secret).

So, as to clarify that report, CP WONT be receiving a DM for the near future (and actually I heard that BEC actually granted that extension and quite possibly be looking at the Sea World Park (Ca?) for the 3rd DM installation in 2009 (or 2010).

Don't count on San Diego getting a dive machine. The locals were pretty PO'd when Atlantis turned out they way it did. The application for the ride hyped up the 'educational aspects of the Commerson's Dolphins exhibit while glossing over the ride. It was nearly cancelled when it became common knowledge that they were building acoaster. That Sea World isn't zoned for thrill rides.

Back on topic:

Whatever is under those tarps, it will definitely be a source of merriment for many a coaster fan this winter! Too bad we won't be able to get weekly construction updates from the Alvey's.

So... Who works / lives near CP and will volunteer to be our spy?

I still think that it is going to be an B&M because there last 3 coasters were from intamin and CP will most likley work with someone new.

I truly think it is going to be a floorless coaster because parks are not building them as much as they use to and CP seems to be waiting until large parks ( ex. SMM, SGAv, SFMW) build there floorless coasters first. This gives CP an advantage of building the biggest and best floorless coaster around. You probally would see new elements on a floorless that has never been seen before. This is just like the technique that CP used with building a standup Coasters.

I wolud love to see another B&M pop up but i doubt it.

I'd say it will be a dueling coaster if not then maybe a big and small one!

Maybe a colossus(thorpe park 10 inverter)copy?!

I don't think CP would clone a coaster, especially since it bills itself as having the best collection of coasters in the world. Whatever they do decide to do, its going to be custom, not a clone. As for what its going to be? I've just given up on that. I'll leave the speculation to everyone else.

I know I always look WAY into these things... but since it's all in fun I'll give my .02 ...

Put two and two togetether... 4th Intamin. When Wicked Twister opened I remember reading Cedar Point had an agreement to install 4 Intamins over x amount of time. This could be completely false, but I know it's been said before.

The stuff under the tarp LOOKS like Intamin track but for all we know it could be gates/etc.

My guess... Intamin wing-walker or Intamin ball coaster-considering Elissa seems confident this is an Intamin protype.

Only thing is Wing walkers are supposed to use hydraulic launch-which is what Dragster is. Would be kind of weird to have two accelerators in the park.

In first drop the IAAPA issue, the guy writing the article said there were rumours floating around that it was a LIM launched Intamin coaster of some sort!

So although not certain I think that there will be a good chance it will be along those lines. he isn't uaually wrong.

^I and I have to agree with you! I wonder what this thing will be? I seriously hope were not all wrong and its one of those cheap self rotating 4D coasters, that would not be cool. Does anybody think that this will be another talles/fastest coaster? Or does anybody think this will be a unique ride of some sort? Im really not sure what to think right now though...

Colin C

I'm really confused now as well.

I really didn't expect them to go Intamin this time.

Especially considering they have just about every existing product Intamin builds already in the park. So either they're going to trump an existing ride, or this is indeed a prototype.

Wouldn't that ball coaster prototype take up a much smaller area? And definetly wouldn't require starting construction so early?

Port Aventura is getting the wing-walker (spinless 4D on accelerator style track) I believe the layout on the port aventura model is going to be curvy... someone said mostly like Rita but I have no idea what this coaster type is capable of doing.

Intamin's other prototype is the ball coaster-Intamin's answer to the S&S 4D. It's offered in 3 models ranging in size, only travelling on the vertical axis. (kind of like a screaming squirrel) but custom models might be available.