TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Whether or not you consider it "new," Rougarou was a fairly sizable investment too. It might seem like it's "just Mantis with floorless trains" but there really was a ton of work that went into getting that ride open. Since Cedar Point counts Pipe Scream as a coaster, there's technically been a new coaster every year since 2013... GateKeeper 2013, Pipe Scream 2014, Rougarou 2015, Valravn 2016.

And sorry for the double post but to back up my claim, I did the math and came up with an average of 3 years per coaster going all the way back to 1964. So my claim is pretty relative, especially if you adjust it for inflation.

Remember that back then, Cedar Fair was not as large of a chain, and coasters cost a lot less.

For instance, Mantis cost 12 million and Magnum cost 8 million. Today, both of these coasters could cost well over 20 million.

As for Pipe Scream and Rougarou, you could technically count those as "new coasters" but I didn't to make it fair investment-wise.

Train rehab (or replacement) and paint are considered average maintenance anyways. Even if Mantis was never transformed to Rougarou, these are things that would have eventually needed to be done regardless. I get why some people count it as "new", but it isn't as significant of an investment as a true new coaster.

...Starting to look cluttered.

I hope you're not being serious.

"Cluttered" isn't the word I would use to describe anything at Cedar Point. Especially not any (or all) of their Roller Coasters. Valravn's location is great because it puts a substantially TALL roller coaster around some "not so tall" rides like Blue Streak, and even Raptor. I think it is a great use of space, and it is bringing new life to the marina entrance, and does not at all make anything look cluttered.