TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Here's what I found on a different theme park forum site.

(7/30/14) Note: The real French word for Werewolf is apparently Loupgarou, while Rougarou is apparently a Cajun and French Canadian variant on the spelling, with their own special lore for the legendary creature known across French Louisiana. Apparently some Native Americans and First Nations folklore also refer to it as the Rugaru, where the legend seems to crossed with that of the Sasquatch and Wendigo as well. And of course, if you love monster hunters... we’ve also seen a couple of them featured over the years on the long-running TV series, Supernatural.

(7/24/14) Cedar Point held a unique opportunity for select fans to camp out in the park overnight last weekend, calling the event the Coaster Campout. In what seems to be a sure fire hint about the park’s 2015 addition, they called the temporary campground “Camp Rou”… as in Rougarou? You know, the unknown trademarked name Cedar Fair filed for not long ago that is the French Cajun / French Canadian word for Werewolf? Adding fuel to the fire, CP’s Tony Clark tweeted out that night, “Currently working diligently on 2015. Did I spel that rite? More importantly, did I say it right...”

Take from this what you will…but unless it is another bit of deception (Whyte Lightning anyone?) my money is on the 2015 attraction being named Rougarou. But what will it be?! A coaster? A new dark ride? Or something else entirely.

Taken from Screamscape.com, Cedar Point's 2015 attraction might a dark ride along with a refurbishment on Mantis.

^The fact that Rougarou is the french-canadian word for werewolf makes me think that it will be used in the future for Canada's Wonderland.

We're still left in the dark about this.

I wonder what's going on at Cedar Point.

Maybe the ride will be tall as a mountain.

I don't think it will be a large addition with Gatekeeper being the guardian of the gate.

Trolololol

Haha, this picture that Tony Clark tweeted is great . If only it was true...

Tony certainly knows how to mess with people. The advantage of knowing a dark ride is coming, he can joke about all the stuff we'd rather have!

Hey guys! Random park review post!

I have recently got back from a trip Cedar Point and riding the roller coaster was so much fun! So, here is my review for each coaster.

Raptor: Pretty cool coaster. It was nice to ride a B&M inverted coaster that wasn't a BTR clone. However, I say it is just as good a batman clone. It was smooth and unique, but the I wish the break run wasn't there, I didn't enjoy the cobra roll, and it battered my head once or twice.

Mantis: Despite what everybody says about this, I thought it wasn't that bad. It wasn't super smooth, but it was still enjoyable.

Gemini: I didn't like it so much. Every ditch after a drop had a tendency to jerk the cars around, like they were loose on the track. I say Colossus at SFMM is (or was) the superior racing coaster.

Meanstreak: Boring. I heard that this was one of the roughest coasters around. I disagree. The old Rattler at SFFT was so much rougher than this. I found the ride boring. Nothing happened except for some typical jerking and bumping. Nothing interesting about it.

Corkscrew: WORST ROLLER COASTER EVER. The tiny restraints made be hunch my back the entire ride, which was uncomfortable. I battered my head around. And the ride was very rough. I hated riding this. It sure is cool to look at, but that's it.

Magnum XL200: Okay. It was a bit rough, but mainly at the end. I could feel the cars actually hop on the track because the cars sit loosely. But other than that, it was a decent ride.

Top Thrill Dragster: Wicked cool launch. Really fast. Great view from the top. Love the twist down the hill. Very good coaster.

Millennium Force: Also a lot of fun. But definitely not the best coaster in the world, or even in the park. It is really fast, which is cool. However, it seems really dated. It is just a bunch of big over bank turns, banked curves, and a bit of airtime. It isn't creative. Nothing really sticks out aside from "big and fast". Speed isn't everything. Nothing takes you by surprise. You see everything coming and it slowly changes elements. Unlike other rides like Maverick and New Texas Giant(as well as the other RMC coasters). MF is fast, but it isn't fast paced. Don't get me wrong, it is a lot of fun. But I like other rides a lot more.

Maverick: Best ride at the park. I love the fast pace of this coaster. I really love the 2nd launch in the tunnel. I really like the quick bank turn transitions. Maverick is just plain awesome.

Gatekeeper: Most overrated roller coaster ever. First of all, I hate the restraints. I hate the extra rubber thing that is super tight on your shoulders and chest. The ride itself is okay. Yeah, the wing riding aspect is a bit cool at first. But isn't like it's a whole new experience. It kind of feels like a flying coaster mixed with a floorless coaster. Also, the cars or seats seemed to vibrate or shake, which didn't feel good, especially with the tight restraints. I feel bad for CP, because it looked like it cost a lot.

Wicked Twister: A fun slingshot coaster. I thought it was pretty fun.

Cedar Creek Mine: Did not enjoy it. I think Goldrusher at SFMM and (especially)Runaway Mine Train at SFOT are way better than it. It was rough, even more the other two I mentioned, but it had nothing fun on it. RMT at SFOT has some cool airtime on its final drop(especially if you sit in the back), which makes it so much better than this bland ride.

Bluestreak: Meh. It's an out and back generic little wooden coaster. Don't really care for it.

Iron Dragon: Boring and a bit rough. Ninja at SFMM is faster, more fun, taller, longer, and even smoother than Iron Dragon. Not really worth my time. But it does look cool over the water and mist.

So, that is my review of Cedar Point. I say it is a very good park. I would like to visit again if wasn't so far from me, but that is the way it is.

Thanks for reading.

Raptor: Pretty cool coaster. It was nice to ride a B&M inverted coaster that wasn't a BTR clone. However, I say it is just as good a batman clone. It was smooth and unique, but the I wish the break run wasn't there, I didn't enjoy the cobra roll, and it battered my head once or twice.

I am glad I am not the only one who doesn't enjoy the cobra roll on Raptor!

Mantis: Despite what everybody says about this, I thought it wasn't that bad. It wasn't super smooth, but it was still enjoyable.
Again, I am glad I am not the only one who thinks that Mantis is not "that bad." I too find it enjoyable, even if it is just a few times.

Millennium Force: ...Don't get me wrong, it is a lot of fun. But I like other rides a lot more.
So glad to see I am not the only one who feels this way about MF. It is a lot of fun, but to me people hype it up so much... and it really is not all that. To me its just another coaster. Nothing super amazing.

Maverick: Best ride at the park.
Quote For Truth. --- Maverick is by far the best ride in the park. Nothing can compare. The airtime, the drop, the second launch... Everything about it is perfect!

Glad you enjoyed your visit! After reading your review I am glad to know that I am not the only one who feels certain ways towards certain coasters! You got me all hyped up for my next visit to the park! Thank's for sharing your visit!

Gatekeeper: Most overrated roller coaster ever. First of all, I hate the restraints. I hate the extra rubber thing that is super tight on your shoulders and chest. The ride itself is okay. Yeah, the wing riding aspect is a bit cool at first. But isn't like it's a whole new experience. It kind of feels like a flying coaster mixed with a floorless coaster. Also, the cars or seats seemed to vibrate or shake, which didn't feel good, especially with the tight restraints. I feel bad for CP, because it looked like it cost a lot.

Overrated by who? Gatekeeper doesn't have a fan club. Most people think it's a bit boring on this forum.

Overrated by who? Gatekeeper doesn't have a fan club. Most people think it's a bit boring on this forum.

Gatekeeper isn't that popular among coaster enthusiasts, but I'm sure the GP love it. Gatekeeper is hyped mainly along the GP, I would think, because EVERYONE on this forum says it's boring. To me, Gatekeeper looks like a fun ride, but I don't think it is the best coaster in the park. I think the best part of Gatekeeper is how it looks. I have never been to CP so I wouldn't know what it's like.