TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

Whoa! Valleyfair is still open??? Every park cant be a magic mountain, cedar point, canadas wonderland, great adventure or carowinds.

Not really sure what you mean by that statement but Valleyfair is a thriving entity. Its not going anywhere but up!

I'd like to be positive about valleyfair improving over the next few years but I feel like the only way they are really going to improve is by adding a new coaster. I mean sure, the waterpark extension will help a little, but if they get a new coaster, I'm sure ticket sales will skyrocket and the park will be packed just like it was when Wild Thing first opened. But at this point, we really have little evidence to show that a new coaster is in the works for 2016....I know its still a little early, but I think we would at least see a large chunk of land sought out for a new coaster. Also, I don't think any rides would be removed at this point.

I'd like to be positive about valleyfair improving over the next few years but I feel like the only way they are really going to improve is by adding a new coaster. I mean sure, the waterpark extension will help a little, but if they get a new coaster, I'm sure ticket sales will skyrocket and the park will be packed just like it was when Wild Thing first opened. But at this point, we really have little evidence to show that a new coaster is in the works for 2016....I know its still a little early, but I think we would at least see a large chunk of land sought out for a new coaster. Also, I don't think any rides would be removed at this point.

That's exactly how I'm feeling about 2016 right now. I want a new coaster just as much as the next person, but for now, we'll have to remain patient. As the saying goes, "Good things come to those who wait."

It appears that they're making some landscaping changes to Soak City.

image.thumb.jpg.2a98e30c4140a23116ccb421d2a9536c.jpg

From Dave Frazier's Twitter.

When Corkscrew eventually leaves, I think that RipTide will be taken with it and the entrance to the new coaster will be in RipTide's old spot. Also, for a little bit of hope, I was looking at previous B&M invert installations--specifically the price tags. Carowind's Afterburn cost about $11 million, which in today's economy is about $17 million. Do I think that we'll be getting a $17 million coaster? No. I'm hoping for a $15 million one.

In other news, where could a Zamperla AirRace go?

With Carowinds essentially naming Fury 325 after the newly revamped Charlotte Hornets, Here's a couple suggestions for a Minnesota sports-themed coaster:

Timberwolves: Howler

Twins: ????

Vikings: Pillager

Wild/Lynx: Predator

I read last summer that over the next 5 years, Cedar Fair is going to put a majority of its funds into VF and MiA but I think that's just my optimism getting the best of me. Is VF projected to get an AirRace for 2016? This is the second time I'm hearing about this rumor today.

I read last summer that over the next 5 years, Cedar Fair is going to put a majority of its funds into VF and MiA but I think that's just my optimism getting the best of me. Is VF projected to get an AirRace for 2016? This is the second time I'm hearing about this rumor today.

That would be great..... But I think VF will get a waterpark expansion/upgrade next off season. Waterparks are a huge draw. I dont picture an AirRace coming to any CF park. I think a proslide tornado would be a great fit for Valleyfair.

Removing trees in the old section...almost seems like they're getting a head start on clearing that side for expansion. 2016 may be the water park sequel after all.

Plus them rebuilding the retaining wall for the water park across from Renegade points to the same conclusion. Get some support and or/clearing out of the way under this expansion budget to support the next addition maybe.

I know its still a little early, but I think we would at least see a large chunk of land sought out for a new coaster. Also, I don't think any rides would be removed at this point.

Yes, it is way too early to see any construction markings. Look for late July or August if at all this year. I think due to lack of land and space that Excalibur will be removed to add another coaster (Unless they go big and redo the entrance with a new coaster). You would have the land with only removing one attraction while also get rid of a dog of a ride and quit wasting payroll on a crew to operate a ride that rarely has a full train even when running just one on busy days. I also say this too because nothing has been done to Excalibur in years. CS got a new paint job, HIgh Roller is getting more retracking after some last year and even Renegade (a much newer coaster than Excalibur) even got retracking last year. Removing the soda and snack stand back there last year is another sign to me that Excalibur's days are numbered.

Random question: would you trade Wild Thing for a GT-X? Why or why not?

It would be tempting from an overall thrill standpoint for sure but a GT-X would not fill the hole of a missing Hyper and people mover that WT is. I think a GT-X or something similar would be a great replacement for CS when it is time for it to go. The dream would be a Intamin Mega-Lite to replace CS.

There are no legitimate rumors about Valleyfair getting an Air Race, it's just that a lot of us think it would a good fit for the park and a fun ride. Where did you hear that Cedar Fair was going to invest a lot in MiA and VF? As nice as it would be, I have a hard time believing that.

Yes, it is way too early to see any construction markings. Look for late July or August if at all this year. I think due to lack of land and space that Excalibur will be removed to add another coaster (Unless they go big and redo the entrance with a new coaster). You would have the land with only removing one attraction while also get rid of a dog of a ride and quit wasting payroll on a crew to operate a ride that rarely has a full train even when running just one on busy days. I also say this too because nothing has been done to Excalibur in years. CS got a new paint job, HIgh Roller is getting more retracking after some last year and even Renegade (a much newer coaster than Excalibur) even got retracking last year. Removing the soda and snack stand back there last year is another sign to me that Excalibur's days are numbered.

I'm with you on that Excalibur should be the first coaster to go, but it might be staying for at least a few more years because Mr. Frazier doesn't want VF to lose any coasters right now (at least according to garyman6). There have also been a few times on busy days where I've seen it have a short line outside the station (not often, but sometimes).

I think Rip Tide is a fun ride and should stay get soaked on a hot day. Dave Frazier doesn't want to get rid of any rides. The last thing I want to see Valleyfair do is to get rid of any rides I'd like to see them add a few new flat rides next year then a new coaster in 2017. The longer we wait for a B&M inverted coaster wouldn't the price of steel keeps going up?

Random question: would you trade Wild Thing for a GT-X? Why or why not?

It would be tempting from an overall thrill standpoint for sure but a GT-X would not fill the hole of a missing Hyper and people mover that WT is. I think a GT-X or something similar would be a great replacement for CS when it is time for it to go. The dream would be a Intamin Mega-Lite to replace CS.

I don't think the CS will ever leave valleyfair, it has way too much history for the park being that it was one of the first rides. I'm not entirely sold on the GT-X coaster yet, probably won't until I get a chance to ride lightning run. Think about this though, what if WT got its original train replaced with an B&M style train? The airtime would be so much better! I love those lap bar restriants.

^

Corkscrew will have to go eventually because no coaster lives forever, but I can see them keeping it as long as possible, or at least until Valleyfair has another inverting coaster. (Anyone know the average life expectancy for old Arrow loopers?) Also, I don't think Wild Thing will get new trains because the current ones are running just fine. Yes, they are awkwardly large, but at least they're comfortable. I just think that money could be spent on better things.

Also, I don't think Wild Thing will get new trains because the current ones are running just fine. Yes, they are awkwardly large, but at least they're comfortable. I just think that money could be spent on better things.

This is exactly how I feel about it. I just really don't understand why everyone keeps saying these trains should be replaced. They work fine and are comfortable, so there is no need to change them.

They should use the money for something else, like a new flat, a new restauraunt, new trash cans, whatever! I just really don't see the need for new trains.

Since we are on the topic of trains, I just thought I would say that I think the Renegade trains and uncomfortable. The metal seatbelt clip gets jammed between the lab bar and my skin every time I ride and the rattling doesn't help. Just my opinion. I also don't like the OTSR on Corkscrew, but I don't think the park will be replacing trains any time soon. For those who want different trains on WT, they might do it if the trains derail again. Maybe the Morgan derailing problem has been solved but I do not know about it.

They could put GT-X trains on Wild Thing, same low seating, but lower walls around you so you can feel the wind. Would help Wild Thing feel more modern. It won't happen though. But I'd like it to.

Yes, with the added comfort of deadly, crushing shin bars.

Wild thing is just fine the way it is! And no, adding B&M trains would not "make the airtime better". In fact, as someone who's ridden a variety of B&M, morgan, and intamin hypers, I can tell you the morgans (wild thing included) give your body the most room to actually float between the seat and the lap bar. B&M's/Intamins are more open-air, for sure, but you're pinned to your seat the entire time.

don't like the OTSR on Cokscrew, but I don't think th park will be replacing trains any time soon. For those who want different trains on WT, they might do it if the trains derail again.

From what various news sources appear to have agreed upon, that incident had nothing to do with the trains....It was a problem with the brakes, which has been resolved. Given no incidents in the ten years before, or in the 8 years after, I'd say this isn't even an issue worth discussing as if it's an existing problem with the ride.

http://archive.kare11.com/news/article/126163/0/Wild-Thing-reopens