TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^Probably 1 side. I haven't seen them run both sides in a very long time.

As for Deja Vu relocation, I just do not see it happening. At WCB, the management said that Magic Mountain has put a lot of effort into keeping it the best run GIB in the chain, and said the only reason why it hasn't been sold off is because Magic Mountain's mechanics have kept it in good shape.

Hopefully, if anything, a retheme of Deja Vu will happen with the addition of a major flat ride in the open plot right next door. Maybe Cyclone bay can become like an "End of the World" type of area for 2012!

Hey do any of you guys know if they have been running both stations at Tatsu or just one?

I can answer this one. Tatsu is actually running both sides on a daily basis now. It really helps capacity. The only time we don't run both sides is when we are short on certified operators or on low attendance days.

Is most of the discussion of relocating Deja Vu forum rumors or has there been some managment at Magic Mountain that has been talking about that maybe happening at one point or another? I may be one of the few on this thread that loves the Giant Inverted Boomerangs but I could be wrong, but I would hate to see Deja Vu leave Magic Mountain and hopefully this is all just rumors.

Hey do any of you guys know if they have been running both stations at Tatsu or just one?

I can answer this one. Tatsu is actually running both sides on a daily basis now. It really helps capacity. The only time we don't run both sides is when we are short on certified operators or on low attendance days.

I was there a couple weeks ago and they were running both sides, though does help to have a FP

There is a new show on Travel Channel today at 4pm and 7pm called "Scream If You Know The Answer!" Judging from the commercial of this weeks episode SFMM will be the featured park! The show consists of "Burt The Conqueror" asking people trivia questions while riding different rollercoasters. Deja-Vu, Riddlers, Goliath, Tatsu, S:EFK and X2 were all featured on the commercial so it should be a good 30 min.

I dunno about standard travel channel, but on Travel HD on Directv, it was only available at 4pm pacific, not 7 [maybe it was 4 and 7 eastern time?] Luckily I have an iPhone with the Directv app so I can set my DVR from anywhere [like work where I am now], I caught it 5 minutes in, but better than missing it! Looking forward to checking it out!

[wow, that sounded like a commercial, definitely not intentional]

^^ I didn't realize there was another school district in the Antelope valley. Good to know.

Weird that the AV HS district starts a full month before the other schools in the area.

its odd, but its the AV so is all f*d up. Also tatsu was running both stations on Sat. Only 2 trains tho.

And schedule around all of the other coasters that's have multiple trains that all need to rehabbed for the summer as well as all the other rides and any and all park maintenance done in the off season, yeah, sounds soooo easy doesn't it!

^When you're a major player in a major business, it should be. Honestly, Disney, Universal, and Busch all seem to do it fine for the most part (not sure about CF), but somehow SFMM gets exempted from having to have full capacity on their rides because it's "hard?"

This year the parks maintenance team was very busy getting their three new coaster experiences ready. They had to assemble the trains for Green Lantern, Road Runner Express, and Superman. Then they finished the apocalypse train. It takes fifteen weeks for a train to be fully rehabbed. Scream is getting worked on now because it needs it more than Tatsu. They have one dedicated team for rehabbing trains and they just work on the ride that needs it the most.Running a park the size of Magic Mountain is not easy. There's a lot more to it than just turning the power on and opening the main gate.

^^ and ^ That explains A LOT then. Ideally, Apoc is really the only ride that should go down for rehab; the rest have three or more trains, so why not just do one at a time? That was always my million dollar question, until I realized there was only one team.

I think SFMM cuts corners anywhere they can get away with it.

A perfect example of this would be the park not ordering 3 trains for Terminator, so when 1 goes down or has a train rehab, they can still run 2 trains instead of having 1 train operation with terrible capacity (with a ride that already has low capacity with 2 trains) for half the Summer.

Same with this ONE team for rehabbing trains in a park that has 18 coasters! That's absurd! That is cutting corners and providing inadequate staff for such a big park that already has problems with operations and efficiency!

Oh, but it's okay, you can pay the park an extra $50 for cutting corners, and that eliminates the inefficiency problem by letting you cut in front of all the people that are waiting in unfair long lines due to these poor operations!

They have one dedicated team for rehabbing trains and they just work on the ride that needs it the most.Running a park the size of Magic Mountain is not easy. There's a lot more to it than just turning the power on and opening the main gate.

Hey californiaroar, trust me, we know it's a lot more than a simple "flip of the switch," and with only ONE team for rehabbing trains, I'd bet the maintenance team is overworked and underpaid, trust me, we're on their team! We know they do great work and probably work their asses off to get the rides we love open and ready to go! Our point is more of the infrastructure of the company and the park, how every other chain seems to figure out this maintenance and rehab schedule just fine, but for some reason Six Flags always has an issue with this stuff year after year. After so long, it's kind of hard to just excuse them with "well, maybe they've had a rough offseason and haven't caught up," and like the poster above mentioned, the only reason after years of this going on can be that they cut corners and make the guests pay for it!

We know they work hard and we appreciate all the hard work they do, even if Six Flags doesn't!

If they were to send trains out to be rehabbed, wouldn't that cost the park A LOT more money than doing it in house? You would have the cost of shipping it there and back, the cost of parts, labor charges..which would be pretty high. That just seems like something a park would never do due to the cost involved. And to do that for multiple trains for multiple ride? That just seems like way too much. Yeah, that's never gonna happen!

"That just seems like something a park would never do due to the cost involved"

PTC had plenty of trains in for rehabs this past offseason. I don't remember all of the rides Tom Rebbie said, but it included all 3 Mean Streak (CP) trains, both Blue Streak (CP) trains, both Screamin' Eagle (SFSTL) trains, and Raven trains. Those are just the ones I remember, but there were atleast a few more