TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Believe it or not, there is one thing that I will miss about Psyclone---its exit ramp. Not only does it get you away from the ride, but it does offer a rare point of view from within a coaster structure, as well as some good places to get pictures.

Eric

Believe it or not, there is one thing that I will miss about Psyclone---its exit ramp. Not only does it get you away from the ride, but it does offer a rare point of view from within a coaster structure, as well as some good places to get pictures.

Eric

yeah, you could get some close up pictures of the pained look on peoples faces.

LOL!

^Flashback was closed about three years ago (according to rcdb). They left it sitting because it was too noisy right next to HH. I'm not sure if that's why, but I am 90% confident that was somewhat right. Psyclone opened in 1991. I didn't know B&M made wooden trains!

^^Nice pic snuggles! Um, why snuggles? Anyway, I thought the whole concept picture was cool. Now why couldn't this have happened earlier? I'm confuzzled.

2 things; How old is psyclone and why has flashback been sitting for so long? it seems that 6-7 years would do it!

Psyclone opened in March 1991, so it was close to its 16th birthday before it closed for good last month. If you ask me, that's a fairly long run for such an unpopular attraction.

People will tell you that Flashback was left idle after it closed just so the park could keep the "most coasters in one park crown." This is not true. The park's annual budget under Kieran Burke's management allotted very little room for needed infrastructure improvements, which would include funding the dismantling of a ride that was no longer suit to be operational. That, in addition to the fact that removing the ride was not very high on the priority list when X and the baggage of problems it carries was consuming a lot of funding, as well as smaller attractions that required complete refurbishments.

Psyclone opened in March 1991, so it was barely 17 years old before it closed for good last month. If you ask me, that's a fairly long run for such an unpopular attraction.

Its only 15 years old. In order for it to be 17 years old it would have had to been built in 89.

I don't see Viper going anywhere for two reasons: It is still a popular ride - and the land it sits on isn't exactly prime for anything but a newer coaster.

When you look at the flat land Psyclone and Flashback sit on, there is a lot you can do with the area. Viper, not so much

I've not visited the Park, I will never have the enjoyment of riding the 2 coasters.

If "Flashback" is a 1-of-its-kind coaster, this should be saved and not scrapped, putting the coaster into storage is fine. The park can always bring it back in a few years time or give it to another 6 Flags Park.

Viper looks so cool, if I ever go to SFMM this will be the 1st ride I go on when the park opens.

Viper is also one of a trio of coasters that Arrow built for Six Flags back in the early 90's, the other two being SFGA's Shockwave and Great American Scream Machine at SFGAdv. Viper had a slightly different layout because of its location, but basically, all three coasters are identical. Shockwave is gone.....would hate to see Viper go as well. Yeah its rough in places, but all in all, a fun coaster.

Correct me if I am wrong, but with the closure of Psyclone, that leaves only the Viper at SFGA and the Cyclone at SFG, and the original Coney Island Cyclone as the only ones left. Are there any others?

Never having ridden SFGA's Viper, does anyone know how it compares to MM's Psyclone?

Viper is also one of a trio of coasters that Arrow built for Six Flags back in the early 90's, the other two being SFGA's Shockwave and Great American Scream Machine at SFGAdv. Viper had a slightly different layout because of its location, but basically, all three coasters are identical. Shockwave is gone.....would hate to see Viper go as well. Yeah its rough in places, but all in all, a fun coaster.

Correct me if I am wrong, but with the closure of Psyclone, that leaves only the Viper at SFGA and the Cyclone at SFG, and the original Coney Island Cyclone as the only ones left. Are there any others?

Never having ridden SFGA's Viper, does anyone know how it compares to MM's Psyclone?

There's also Bandit at Move Park Germany and White Canyon at Yomiuriland.

Neither of which look anything short of painful.