TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

So Speedy Gonzales is now considered offensive to hispanics and the L.A. area has the highest concentration of Spanish speaking people in the United States.

So Magic Mountain is putting in a new Speedy Gonzales roller coaster.

Did I get that right?

I hate political correctness but find this surprising and kind of feel like they're inviting controversy.

I doubt anyone will care....at all. I know plenty of Hispanic people who don't care about a Speedy and no one I know here is offended by him...

I agree. Speedy Gonzales is only an innocent cartoon, not sure if people will get offended.

So Speedy Gonzales is now considered offensive to hispanics and the L.A. area has the highest concentration of Spanish speaking people in the United States.

Did I get that right?

I hate political correctness but find this surprising and kind of feel like they're inviting controversy.

I doubt anyone will care....at all. I know plenty of Hispanic people who don't care about a Speedy and no one I know here is offended by him...

You're preaching to the choir but in such an over-sensitive society I find the move surprising, that's all. I agree that the majority of people don't care, but unfortunately the small number of self-important people that do (or act like they do) are the ones that make a big stink to the P.R. department. Remember when they had to pull and apologize for the "More Flags, More Fun" commercial?

Why would you use a likeness that you already know offends special interests groups (and was pulled from Cartoon Network because it was deemed offensive)? I agree that most people don't find it offensive but It's not worth the headache of dealing with the groups that do.

Edited by coasterbill

Oh my Gawd! The Frito Bandito! I loved him. I remember his song.

Ay Ay Yi Ya!

I am the Frito Bandito.

I love Frito corn chips you know that I do.

So I run around and I steal them from you.

Ay Ay Yi Ya!

I am the Frito Bandito.

Guy "I don't see how anyone could find that remotely offensive at all." Koepp

Did I get that right?

You're preaching to the choir but in such an over-sensitive society I find the move surprising, that's all. I agree that the majority of people don't care, but unfortunately the small number of self-important people that do (or act like they do) are the ones that make a big stink to the P.R. department. Remember when they had to pull and apologize for the "More Flags, More Fun" commercial?

Why would you use a likeness that you already know offends special interests groups (and was pulled from Cartoon Network because it was deemed offensive)? I agree that most people don't find it offensive but It's not worth the headache of dealing with the groups that do.

I really can't even see how its offensive. Its a mouse, who is Hispanic. He does mouse things and gets into mouse trouble. He doesn't do offensive Hispanic things at all. Just runs around fast and tries to not die from being a mouse, lol.

I just don't see why naming it after this character will be any issue at all.

Edited by COASTER FREAK 11

So here's a question...

The RMC Rumor that's been floating around for Colossus is coming up soon, but if they take out Colossus to 'redo' it, then it's still SFMM's 19th Coaster yet again. Do we think it's possible they may get a stand alone NEW credit for the big Colossus Treatment, or perhaps leave one side alone so they can make a big deal out of the parks 20th Coaster? Or maybe yet another kiddie coaster too!??!

Do they count Colossus as 2 coasters now?

Am I the only one who finds this new addition really pointless?

Why add a junior coaster, when you clearly don't need one? Just imagine if they had spent the money on a family flat ride instead, maybe a Mack Twist n Splash?

Trust me, I think this is pretty much a quick scheme to get to twenty. Other than that it has no point.

So here's a question...

The RMC Rumor that's been floating around for Colossus is coming up soon, but if they take out Colossus to 'redo' it, then it's still SFMM's 19th Coaster yet again. Do we think it's possible they may get a stand alone NEW credit for the big Colossus Treatment, or perhaps leave one side alone so they can make a big deal out of the parks 20th Coaster? Or maybe yet another kiddie coaster too!??!

No, they count it as one.

I hope they go for the world longest coaster record, and join the two dies together. Just as long as they profile the two sides differently, I think that could be really cool.

^It looks like you are fishing for controversy by continuously bringing it up, but as you can see, nobody cares. I kinda miss Speedy's presence in the park!

I'm quite surprised that a 70's cartoon mouse's race was brought up before the nauseating resuscitation of "the great coaster war" debate between Cedar Point and Magic Mountain fanboys.

So here's a question...

I hope they go for the world longest coaster record, and join the two dies together. Just as long as they profile the two sides differently, I think that could be really cool.

Is there any chance they only have RMC do one of the sides? They could leave one side as a classic, and they could butcher the other filling it up with extreme overbanking, extra steep drops, and inversions. I think it'd be cool to have both options.Then they could count them as two separate coasters giving them 20.

It looks kinda cool. I'm actually surprised it has taken this long for Speedy to receive his own coaster namesake. Not sure about the placement though. All of SFMM's family attractions are so clustered in one restricted area. I would have probably opted for the go-kart location near Dive Devil. Oh well.

Random thought: Anyone else feel that Helix at Liseberg would have made for a better FT/Log Jammer replacement as opposed to what we actually got? I feel it would have really complemented the topography of that hillside (IMO). Just wondering.

BTW, I found another gem to share with the class (in case you all haven't seen this yet). Enjoy!

1990 Six Flags Magic Mountain - Viper (Commercial)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCJdyjlQvPE

Edited by kongker

^^^^ I think it's possible that they'll join both sides, based on the Screamscape rumor that they:

could create an all time new world record for the park that may never be broken.

But, as Elissa brought up, they could also very easily use this to get a net increase of one coaster, either by RMCing one side (New Colossus) and leaving the other intact (Colossus Classic), or by RMCing both sides, but making them different enough where it's clearly two coasters ala Dueling Dragons (ie. Looping Colossus and Airtime Colossus).

Another possibility would be getting rid of the two track concept altogether and just making one single track, single lift coaster using the old support structure.

So here's a question...

Is there any chance they only have RMC do one of the sides? They could leave one side as a classic, and they could butcher the other filling it up with extreme overbanking, extra steep drops, and inversions. I think it'd be cool to have both options.Then they could count them as two separate coasters giving them 20.

^^^^ I think it's possible that they'll join both sides, based on the Screamscape rumor that they:
could create an all time new world record for the park that may never be broken.

But, as Elissa brought up, they could also very easily use this to get a net increase of one coaster, either by RMCing one side (New Colossus) and leaving the other intact (Colossus Classic), or by RMCing both sides, but making them different enough where it's clearly two coasters ala Dueling Dragons (ie. Looping Colossus and Airtime Colossus).

Another possibility would be getting rid of the two track concept altogether and just making one single track, single lift coaster using the old support structure.

I think its also very possible that one side get a total re-do and re-profiling and the other side get 100% retracked, even removing the mid-course. No matter what happens, I do think both tracks will be completely ripped out and replaced.

^Yeah, that's what I meant by Classic Colossus. I'm pretty sure that if they RMC'd one side that they'd at least refurbish and topper track the other side (otherwise you'd have New Hotness and Old & Busted side-by-side). But hey, it's Six Flags, I also wouldn't be too surprised if they just Hades 360 the whole thing.

^Yeah, that's what I meant by Classic Colossus. I'm pretty sure that if they RMC'd one side that they'd at least refurbish and topper track the other side (otherwise you'd have New Hotness and Old & Busted side-by-side). But hey, it's Six Flags, I also wouldn't be too surprised if they just Hades 360 the whole thing.

I would.. they are working with RMC, I don't see them using another company to suddenly award this project to.

Am I the only one who finds this new addition really pointless?

Why add a junior coaster, when you clearly don't need one? Just imagine if they had spent the money on a family flat ride instead, maybe a Mack Twist n Splash?

Trust me, I think this is pretty much a quick scheme to get to twenty. Other than that it has no point.

Honestly, does any one really find 20 coasters an appealing tag line when half of those are actually coasters designed for children? I think sfmm just builds coasters at this point out of laziness. They really dont know what else to build.

Honestly at this point I would much rather see the park add flat thrill rides than a new coaster, with the exception of Iron Colossus. They need some flat rides. How bout start off with a 400 ft SkyScreamer? That way there is one on the east coast, one on the west coast, and one in the middle! Makes sense to me! Thats what they should do. Then add an S&S Screamin swing and a HUSS.

Honestly, there would have been nothing wrong with yolocoaster had they had a couple more hills and a helix or 2 after the top hat to extend the ride time out a bit. It just felt like a short and shallow attempt at having another coaster.

Honestly, there would have been nothing wrong with yolocoaster had they had a couple more hills and a helix or 2 after the top hat to extend the ride time out a bit. It just felt like a short and shallow attempt at having another coaster.

And an attempt to set another record