TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I have to agree that riddler suffers from being a stand up. It's a ride I wouldn't wait in line too long for.

Doubt it's either plausible or possible, but here's a crazy idea: what if SFMM used Scream's trains on Riddler's and removed Scream?

I love scream. it's a great ride even thought it's themed after a parking lot. When the sun is setting you get a great view of the sunset on the mountains.

I was all for thrills and cramming any kind of thrill coaster into the park that they could. But I see now what all of you are talking about, quality is way more important than quantity. Sure FT will probably be a hit with the GP which is what the park was aiming for, so that's good I guess, but it seems kind of half-assed and incomplete, which lacks the quality of a more thought out and longer ride, such as the Liseberg coaster, which looks amazing and is what should have been put in here or at least something similar. I just hope that now SF gets this thrill stuff out of their system and starts to realize that quality will draw in the crowds just as much if not more than quantity.

^ coasters are like tattoos. They're expensive and hard to remove. Put the right one in and even people who say they hate it will tell you how much they love it, put the wrong one in, even the fans who love it will tell you how much it sucks. I doubt six flags has learned any kind of lesson though. Itd be nice if they did but unlikely. If we're lucky they'll cancel this project and they'll go back to the design stages but thats completely unprecedented and has and probably never will happen. All they really need to do is add more track...

When watching the Liseberg coaster video this morning, one of my first thoughts was "this is what SFMM should be building". Talk about a missed opportunity. I'm guessing they went with FT because it will be easier to market its EXTREEEEEEMEEEEE elements to the 12 year olds the park really only seems interested in serving.

Another thing to note is that Liseberg is one of the best parks in the world, and SFMM is, um, not. Quality over quantity wins every time.

dt

^ That's exactly what I was thinking after watching that video this morning. The other thing is even the 12 year old GP is probably going to notice that FT is missing track after the tophat especially if they've rode the Accelerator at kbf, hell anybody thats ridden any ride with a ride with a tophat element is going to wonder where the rest of the ride after the tophat is on FT. I'm just really hoping this is some sort of sick joke on us and they just decided to not put the entire ride in the video, only time will tell.

I was also one of those expecting Full Throttle to be like Helix. If it was, I would totally fly down for opening day, but as it stands now, I can easily wait until a WCB or whenever. Helix looks amazing, and they proved that a park like SFMM does have a ton of room to work with.

Helix looks great but I'm still keen on Full Throttle. It's definitely too short but it's also very unique, SFMM know that adding another generic coaster won't do much for park attendance. They're adding an iconic ride, fingers crossed it will be open before I visit in June.

If SFMM had just done a bit more expansion under Tatsu, maybe added a bunny hop finale, enthusiast complants would be way lower than they are now. IMHO, making it that short is missing half the point of building a multi-launcher. Every other multi-launcher uses up every bit of inertia left, and adequate space is given between the launches and brakes. Not Full Throttle.

Projekt Helix is exactly what Full Throttle should have been.

Is SFMM management lazy? Well, not in this case. You really can't blame a park that knows their audience, and SFMM is probably well aware of the enthusiast complaints that would result of this, but, the actual number of LA county GP comparing Full Throttle to some Swedish coaster is probably close to zero percent. It doesn't matter how superior that Liseberg coaster is. To the GP, it is "Some coaster in Sweden", if in the unlikely event that they have ever heard of it at all.

Edited by MrSum1_55

Yes, the GP know nothing about Projekt Helix, however, the GP would be happier if Full Throttle was a better coaster. Even if they never went on a spectacular coaster, they would have a very different reaction if Full Throttle was longer.

RANT: I know this is what everyone is talking about, but it just baffles me why SFMM didn't go with something more along the lines of Projekt Helix. Well, I guess I do understand, like stated earlier they have to sell the "Extreme" factor... But it's just, they took out a ride that a lot of people loved (I haven't been to the park, so I can't say if I loved the ride), and then had a good amount of land to make an awesome, terrain hugging coaster. Instead, they went with FT, which is just... well, almost annoying. And don't even get me started on their planning process for this ride, I'm going to say it was along the lines of "Okay, so we have a ton of land, let's not use it! Oh I know, let's make the world's tallest vertical loop and put a hill over it! Oooh, YOLO is in right? Let's put that in the ad! We can totallllyyy cater to the 10 year old's!" And last but not least, "Oh, shucky darns! We need a third launch, I KNOW, let's put in a backwards launch that goes right into another forwards launch! That way we can make a capacity nightmare, into MORE of a capacity nightmare!" END RANT

So, that was probably the most pointless post in the history of posts, but I just needed to get that out.

I'm glad SFMM keeps building mediocre rides: it gives me yet another reason to spend my money elsewhere on TPR trips and only visiting the park during WCB!

The best point so far. Bottom line, it isn't SFMM's responsibility to build rides enthusiasts like. Which is why as enthusiasts, we can choose to travel to rides that suit our tastes. Problem solved.

I'm glad SFMM keeps building mediocre rides: it gives me yet another reason to spend my money elsewhere on TPR trips and only visiting the park during WCB!

I think the reason people are complaining is that they're up to 18 coasters and not a single one of them is worth going out of your way to travel just to ride it. This SHOULD be a park that people would want to travel to, like the ones you visit on TPR trips, but it's obviously not.

I think the reason people are complaining is that they're up to 18 coasters and not a single one of them is worth going out of your way to travel just to ride it.

This for me the three reasons that SFMM exists are for quick stops for a few rides on the way home from LA/Orange County, WCB and processing my SF season pass.

My only problem with FT is that it is too short and IMO the loop as the ending would have been better also it would have been cool if there was a launching part that went thought the loop or better yet an airtime hill that (like Skyrush) would have a cool head chopper element.

This SHOULD be a park that people would want to travel to

SFMM is a park that I have on my bucket list and to me doesn't seem too bad of a park when you look past it's ride wait times and lack of rides for the entire family.

Edited by theonetheonlyJT

I think the reason people are complaining is that they're up to 18 coasters and not a single one of them is worth going out of your way to travel just to ride it. This SHOULD be a park that people would want to travel to, like the ones you visit on TPR trips, but it's obviously not.

With X2 being the only one of it's kind in the US as well as being an insane experience to begin with don't you think that's worth traveling for? That's not even getting into Tatsu, one of the best flying coasters in the world as well as a bunch of other lesser, yet fun and thrilling coasters.

^Despite having some good rides, the park is pretty lacking. Yeah, it's got a lot of coasters...too bad they neutered a lot of them (Revolution trimmed and the god-awful OTSRs, Green Lantern's no inversion cycles, etc)! The operations are NOTORIUS for being terribly slow, taking several minutes to dispatch a train, plus stacking gets common on rides.

Yes, the park has some fun stuff, but it doesn't fully negate the bad stuff in the park.

Yeah, I get that people wish we could trade Full Throttle for Helix, and I couldn't agree more.

Having said that, I'm playing the world's smallest violin for some of the other complaining in this thread. Try living in Las Vegas, where our stand out coaster is Canyon Blaster. Or where I lived before, where I had an 8 hour drive to get to Silverwood and ONLY Silverwood.

So I'm not feeling all that sorry for some of you who got "stuck" with a brand new Premier launch coaster, as well as Tatsu, X2, Apocalypse, Batman and others. You poor things...