TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Random question for SFMM fans!

Would you rather have Full Throttle or Projekt Helix at Six Flags Magic Mountain?

ANSWER!!!

Note: the terrain of the Liseberg ride is VERY similar to Full Throttle.

Although projeckt helix looks incredible. It seems to have a major helix. Goliath already has a major helix that a lot of people gray out on and some people black out. Magic Mountain likes to open rides that break records. True it's a gimmick to break a record but this is magic Mountain. Who knows maybe someday they'll build the worlds tallest mouse coaster, just to break a record.

Although projeckt helix looks incredible. It seems to have a major helix. Goliath already has a major helix

Where? Did you LOOK at the layout of the coaster before your fingers punched random words on your keyboard?

It has *ONE* single helix..kind of. Just because the ride is called "Projekt Helix" doesn't mean that's all it does!

Edited by robbalvey

Man, looking at the full layout like that, I'm just seeing that in the Log Jammer spot and it's getting me more pissed about Full Throttle. It seriously looks like they could just take this layout and put it in the same spot.

I believe they want to put a new theme type area in that space also.

Man, looking at the full layout like that, I'm just seeing that in the Log Jammer spot and it's getting me more pissed about Full Throttle. It seriously looks like they could just take this layout and put it in the same spot.

Especially when you see they've built this around their log flume?

I'm probably in the minority, but while I think Helix looks like a great ride I just don't think it would be a good fit for SFMM. The park already has enough inversion-heavy rides, and Helix appears to have at least six inversions. What I envisioned for the park was something along the lines of Maverick or Cheetah Hunt, a ride that spent the majority of the ride close to the ground, had two or three launches, several airtime hills, and maybe one or two inversions. Full Throttle is certainly not that, but I've got a feeling that it will appeal more to the general public than a different style of coaster would. While I doubt the ride will be the greatest coaster at the park, it should certainly be in the top half and will be one of the most unique coasters at the park. In my experience, Premier has yet to disappoint (although they also have yet to come up with a ride worthy of a long distance trip to the park).

The reality is that unless Six Flags is willing to spend $20+ million on a new coaster (not likely in the near future), I wouldn't expect any new attractions to be more impressive than Full Throttle or X-Flight. Better to keep expectations low and be surprised than to have them high and be disappointed.

They could still turn Full Throttle into something more along the lines of Project Helix by simply adding the rest of the ride that is currently missing after the top hat. Then they could get rid of the gimmicky and unnecessary backwards launch. Too many rides at SFMM end up falling into the "What could have been.." category, particularly when considering the awesome terrain they have to work with, but seem to ignore.

Full Throttle technically has 3 (ish) inversions and Helix has what looks like 5 so it's not that many.

However, If you look at the layout of Helix, it is NOT the same multi-inversion type ride as everything else at SFMM that is JUST inversions and no "ride" in between. If you look at the multi-inversion rides at SFMM (Viper, Batman, Scream) they are mostly JUST inversions. There really is only one multi-inversion ride at SFMM that contains "some" kind of layout other than Inversions (Riddlers) but the ride suffers from being a Stand-Up. I maintain that if Riddlers was a sit-down coaster instead of a stand-up it'd probably be one of the best coasters around.

The issue at hand here is NOT that Full Throttle has inversions, it's just another example of (like Mechanic said), SFMM going for a "gimmick" instead of going for a complete ride. IF Full Throttle had some terrain moments (like those S Turns) after the loop/after the top hat I doubt anybody would be complaining.

Full Throttle technically has 3 (ish) inversions and Helix has what looks like 5 so it's not that many.

However, If you look at the layout of Helix, it is NOT the same multi-inversion type ride as everything else at SFMM that is JUST inversions and no "ride" in between. If you look at the multi-inversion rides at SFMM (Viper, Batman, Scream) they are mostly JUST inversions. There really is only one multi-inversion ride at SFMM that contains "some" kind of layout other than Inversions (Riddlers) but the ride suffers from being a Stand-Up. I maintain that if Riddlers was a sit-down coaster instead of a stand-up it'd probably be one of the best coasters around.

The issue at hand here is NOT that Full Throttle has inversions, it's just another example of (like Mechanic said), SFMM going for a "gimmick" instead of going for a complete ride. IF Full Throttle had some terrain moments (like those S Turns) after the loop/after the top hat I doubt anybody would be complaining.

I have to agree that riddler suffers from being a stand up. It's a ride I wouldn't wait in line too long for.

This Liseberg coaster may have 6 inversions, but it also has at least 3 major airtime hills plus a ton of great terrain-hugging layout, and it doesn't stupidly stop and reverse in the middle.

Liseberg has said that they weren't going for records on this coaster, but instead focused on it being one of the best coasters in the world. SFMM needs to discontinue their "record-breaking" mindset and focus on quality. Just the scope of Projekt Helix looks more impressive than Full Throttle. Oh well, I can just ride Manta some more and feel like I'm on this Helix!

Liseberg has said that they weren't going for records on this coaster, but instead focused on it being one of the best coasters in the world. SFMM needs to discontinue their "record-breaking" mindset and focus on quality.

Everything you said is exactly correct.

Liseberg is a FANTASTIC park, one of the best in the world without any 'records'. This coaster will only add to it's awesomeness. Hope to see something fun like this at Magic at some point.