TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

What would be the point of a dive machine at MM??? They already have a huge vertical drop in Superman, yes I know there is no holding brake at the top...big woof. After riding Griffon this summer, a dive machine is really tame compared to MOST of MM's coasters.

It's time for Six Flags to stop being cheap and install gigas at their flagship parks. There is no reason SFMM, SFGradv, and SFGAM shouldn't all have gigas by now. All three of the parks are totally capable of seeing a return for that investment.

It's interesting how this was originally a common complaint on the Cedar Point thread when Valravn was announced, but the further along the ride is in the construction progress the less we hear people say how it isn't different enough from the rest of the lineup.

I agree about the giga coaster point, but it's a trade off. They are ridiculously expensive. If SF went the Cedar Fair route and did one massive B&M each year and kept the $90 million/year total cap-ex budget, we wouldn't have half the RMC's or two Justice League rides or the nice flat packages going to a few SF parks this year. Every time Cedar Fair has built a new giga coaster it's been the only new coaster that year in the chain (Intimidator was built in 2010 but Cedar Fair built no new coasters the following year, so...).

What would be the point of a dive machine at MM??? They already have a huge vertical drop in Superman, yes I know there is no holding brake at the top...big woof. After riding Griffon this summer, a dive machine is really tame compared to MOST of MM's coasters.

It's time for Six Flags to stop being cheap and install gigas at their flagship parks. There is no reason SFMM, SFGradv, and SFGAM shouldn't all have gigas by now. All three of the parks are totally capable of seeing a return for that investment.

The only benefit I see in SFGAdv getting a giga is shorter lines for El Toro

Even though you have 3 gigas in your top 5 steel? A Fury-esque giga would be the PERFECT compliment to El Toro and SFGradv would probably at that point have the best coaster collection in the world.

I agree about the giga coaster point, but it's a trade off. They are ridiculously expensive. If SF went the Cedar Fair route and did one massive B&M each year and kept the $90 million/year total cap-ex budget, we wouldn't have half the RMC's or two Justice League rides or the nice flat packages going to a few SF parks this year. Every time Cedar Fair has built a new giga coaster it's been the only new coaster that year in the chain (Intimidator was built in 2010 but Cedar Fair built no new coasters the following year, so...).

Very true! Though they could do the gigas every two years so the funds are spread out a bit.

Too bad SF didn't install gigas when Premier ran the parks, they would've given up the dough for sure! Like in 2000 when they spent a gazillion adding coasters at almost every park...ahhh the glory debt days

Even though you have 3 gigas in your top 5 steel? A Fury-esque giga would be the PERFECT compliment to El Toro and SFGradv would probably at that point have the best coaster collection in the world.

But I don't think it would have as much of an appeal to the GP when there's Kindga Ka in the same park. All parks adding Gigas have each as the tallest coaster at their park. SFGAdv has the tallest coaster in the world already.

Point has Millennium Force and TTD and both compliment each other very nicely. Both have steady lines all day with MF usually having more riders. A B&M giga would be a huge people eater at SFMM and SFGAdv.

I understand your point, but MF was added before TTD. So at that point, MF was the tallest coaster in the park, and at the time the tallest in the world.

Just a suggestion, but maybe they could design and build a giga coaster that encircles the

entire park? I always like those kinds of coaster (without inversions) that could give you

a Really Speedy look at the park you're in, lol. And they could run it literally all over the

place, as long as it stays true to the plan, and encircles the entire park.

Hmmm? A T-Rex design track, maybe?

I wish!! I was literally just thinking this and was curious about rides that encircle their entire parks.. Cruising the park, on a nice breezy summer night! I couldn't imagine how that would look / feel in the park. or how realistic it would be with the layout. I can't lie, I go to magic mountain so often because I live minutes away, and I've always loved roller coasters and the park specifically, but I don't know all the coaster lingo.. As far as ride type / track layout/ trains / brakes / etc etc. I mean I know a little bit of something and as I get older and older and continue to gain more interest for theme parks and roller coasters, I'll keep learning but yeah.. Basically, how realistic would that be? A ride like that with the parks layout? In your opinion(s)? I love how full throttle is, as far as launching, looping and going up into the mountain but always wish (like many) it was longer and I just think it would have been nice to see it just cover more ground along the mountain/hillsides.. Anyway I'm high as a kite and ready for this season to kick off so Don't mind my rambling I'm just Fired up!!

It seems to be in their best interest to go for a big spectacle-style ride, and a drop machine would certainly check the spectacular visuals box. The concept doesn't hold too much appeal for me personally (although I've yet to ride one), but I could see the GP eating something like that up.

The last few installations have done a nice job of merging thrills with fun (Yolo, Twisted Colossus, Apocalypse) rather than simply going for "most mega intense ride in the world everrr" — which is more substance than surface in my opinion. Although for the big 20th, I expect they'll revert back to the "mostest biggest" approach, I'd personally love to see a lengthy terrain hugger like Liseberg's Helix. I doubt it would deliver on visual impact though.

To address this rumor 1) it's not going where the Batman Action Theater was 2) it's not going where Deja Vu was 3) Six Flags hasn't spent $20m or more on a roller coaster in a long while 4) it would more than likely have to be taller and faster than Valravn (for then records) which means a TON of $$$. 5) I doubt Magic Mountain adds another large coaster without taking one out (looking at you Viper and Ninja) which would mean no magic #20 unless of course they add a 5th kiddie coaster.

The only reason I could see this rumor having legs is because it could be a very marketable ride for the park. Tallest and fastest dive coaster, the West Coast has nothing like it and people would probably eat it up. It would be a very sexy addition in the eyes of the marketing department for sure. Maybe in a year or so there will be some more potential information out there, but for now it's fun to speculate.

Personally I'm holding out for a RMC T-Rex giga but that's just my optimistic fantasy...

^Well the rumor said the park would look to use the hills to cut the cost of the ride structure (similar to what they did with yolo). So if Valravn's rumored pricetag is correct (15 million) possibly a slightly taller/longer MM dive coaster that used the hilly terrain could cost around the same or less.

Of course all is speculation and I personally hope MM doesn't install a dive coaster. We want T-Rex!!

Revolution really is coming out excellent. Who is designing the cars?

They're being designed in-house and having a 3rd party manufacture them. For a classic coaster such as Revolution, probably was their only option without employing too many safety features like what some manufacturers would of wanted to install.

I wouldn't trust Six Flags engineering...

My guess is they bought the same Gerstlauer trains made for SooperDooperLooper.

I would love for that to be true. I rode SDL last summer and those Gerstlauer trains were very comfortable and butter smooth.

Revolution really is coming out excellent. Who is designing the cars?

They're being designed in-house and having a 3rd party manufacture them. For a classic coaster such as Revolution, probably was their only option without employing too many safety features like what some manufacturers would of wanted to install.

Lareson is right unfortunately. I wish it was Gerst trains, but I think SF isn't in great terms after the NTG lawsuit.

My limited knowledge/experience with Six Flags engineering has led me to believe this will have lots of downtime if it really is a in house design. The most recent example is Lex Luthor: though they worked with Intamin, Tim Burkhart was pretty proud of the engineering Six Flags did....but I've seen/heard some pretty crazy things from my time working there and people who used to work as mechanics/electricians at SFMM too.

I believe Gerstlauer may have ended up the owner of the original designs as well, so I wouldn't count them out despite the lawsuit.

Taking the drawings/parts you already own and having a new vendor fabricate based off of that is not as simple a process as it sounds. Will it work? Sure. How reliably? We will potentially see....

I would love for that to be true. I rode SDL last summer and those Gerstlauer trains were very comfortable and butter smooth.

I totally agree. SDL is great with the new trains.

Random question. I'll be making my second trip ever to SFMM on March 5th. I was wondering if they are still selling any merch from Holiday in the Park or if there are any specific gift shops I should look in for Christmas ornaments. I decided this year I want to start collecting them from the parks I visit. Thanks!

I was going to say, there is a benefit of having a giga at the park... Not sure SFGadv would have the best collection in the world at that point (Cedar Point could make a claim) but it would certainly jump to the #1 park I need to visit.

Back to the topic of Magic Mountain. I think the worlds tallest, fastest dive coaster would be an amazing addition to Magic Mountain.

I do enjoy gigas, but in my opinion, the lineup of SFGAdv is near perfect as it is. Although, Cedar Fair has proven that gigas work anywhere.