TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Note to self: Avoid weekends. Period.

Crazy, right? We went last weekend and it wasn't bad, but I'd turn around and leave if I saw this. Great for business, though.

If I'm not mistaken, they turn to the regular non-weekend-only schedule here soon, so Mondays and Tuesdays will most likely become the favorable day again.

here's a short video of me leaving the parking lot. backed up before and after the parking turnstiles, people walking up and down the hill. this is at 1:15pm. the parking was well into the dirt lot. so for sure it went to the other lot across the street.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

here's a short video of me leaving the parking lot. backed up before and after the parking turnstiles, people walking up and down the hill. this is at 1:15pm. the parking was well into the dirt lot. so for sure it went to the other lot across the street.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

wow.... insane. WOW!! that looks like no fun at all.

Not that this has anything to do with it. But, maybe this happens every fours years, the day before February 29th?

Craziness happens, even with theme parks, the day before Sadie Hawkins Day.

multiple trains on coasters?

you're funny.

but seriously, i was there for a couple hours. rode the new green train on TC. didn't really pay attention to much else except using my dining pass after waiting for 40 minutes.

all parking turnstiles were open. when i left, they were using the exit side medal detectors, so every lane was open, which was nice. the lines were still past the ticket booths and solid packed. they sectioned off an area so people could leave which i was impressed with.

Revolution looks nice. the paint on the walkway, trees and dirt was pretty nice and bright as well!

The whole parking situation was terrible. My friend was on the old road heading north between Valencia blvd and Magic Mountain Pkwy at 11:00 and he turned around at 2 because he wasn't even by Red Lobster yet. It was a total mess. Once past the toll booths, they did a great job parking cars as quickly as possible. Inside the park, even at 1pm Tatsu was only running one station. Queue lines spewed into midways but were handled well for the most part. But food lines went into the midway uncontrollably. Nowhere to walk around. Also, after about 1 it felt like Disneyland in there, having to squeeze between other guests. I had never seen food locations so crowded. TC's line was up to the Screampunk sign most of the afternoon. Every ride had a line to at least the entrance, even Viper. I think they were expecting a lot of people, but not as many as actually showed up. Pretty sure that's the busiest day the park has had in many years. There was also a cheer competition going on.

It was very cool to see and people watch though!

With an additional Bring a Friend Free day next Sunday I'm hoping Saturday the 5th will be tolerable. I'm in town and I only have the one day to go to the park.

Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to get a flash pass just to be safe

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

It was almost that bad for the time I went for Fright Fest in 2013. bumper to bumper like that all the way to the freeway exit.

I was going to go to SFMM yesterday. Driving from SLO via Ventura, I noticed the right two lanes of the 5 were jammed all the way to the Magic Mountain Pkwy exit right after the Old Road exit (if I would have noticed this ahead of the Old Road exit I would have taken this exit). I never have seen the 5 jammed at MM Pkwy coming from the North before, just coming from LA. I decided to bypass the MM Pkwy exit and take the Valencia Blvd exit. Driving by the MM Pkwy exit I could see how jammed MM Pkwy was getting into the park. I have never seen it that crowded before, even in the Summertime. I should have given up then.

I got off the Valencia Blvd exit. While getting off the fwy was easy enough, once I got on the Old Rd the left two lanes were completely jammed. It was just before 10:30 at this time. I sat patiently in the far left lane with my parents, who I was taking to the park for their first time in over ten years. I was going to use a free bring a friend offer and a 50% off a ticket offer on my Gold Pass. I brought a friend last May for Bring a Friend Day when they had the early morning Twisted Colossus passholder ERT. While there were decent crowds that day, it wasn't crazy crowded like this at all. I never thought it would be more crowded on a Bring a Friend Day in February then a Bring a Friend Day in May right after Twisted Colossus opened.

It took us over an hour to get from Valencia Blvd to MM Pkwy on the Old Rd and just before the left turn into the park my dad and I decided we didn't want to go to the park with these crowds. It was going to be crazy as hell, and my parents would've gotten a horrible experience of the park. We decided to make a u-turn at MM Pkwy and go do something in LA instead. Leaving Valencia the 5 was smooth southbound but you could see a traffic jam for miles northbound because of people trying to get off at MM Pkwy. Traffic to and in LA was a breeze for the most part, especially compared to the mess by SFMM. I heard the park reached capacity with just over 30,000 visitors later on with 3 hour waits on the most popular rides, so I think we made the right decision.

It's not even worth going on a day like that. Just bring your friend another time and pay for him/her. Or better yet, get a season pass.

I was expecting medium crowds like past Bring a Friend Days I've gone too which were very manageable, not a madhouse. Since when does a theme park anywhere reach max capacity in February??? Especially on a non-holiday weekend. I had no idea a cheer competition was going on as well.

I had no idea a cheer competition was going on as well.

I've been there when there have been cheer conferences taking place but didn't find that it made much difference on the rides as all the teens tend to congregate around the various theaters to see who can scream "OMG" the loudest and the longest. Aside from the persistent, high-pitch shrieking and the added risk of getting kicked in the head by an oblivious teen, their presence didn't impact the lines too much. Yesterday seemed like an anomaly, but I'd put it down to a combo of limited opening hours, limited "bring a friend" days, and the increasing ubiquity of the Gold Pass.

Bummer that it trounced your day!