TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I also agree sprucing up he park should be a major priority of the park and think they are getting there slowly but surely. Each time a major new attraction opens, it comes with a refreshed area of the park, and it seems like this is a good strategy for them that's working. We can all agree park upkeep just hasn't been a major capital investment, but tying it into a major new attraction allows them to advertise a new ride while also refreshing an area. They did a great job with DC Universe as well as the Screampunk District so hopefully more of these areas are in the future. We should probably be looking to the less traveled areas of the park for A) The next area getting rethemed/refreshed and B) Where the next new/renovated ride will be going. My guess is either the Riddler/Movietown area or that back section by Apocolypse. I'm think the latter is more likely because that area seems the most lacking, isn't it also still referred to as Psyclone Bay?

MM doesn't need any more coasters, they should focus on taking better care of the ones they have. RMCing Colossus was the first step in the right direction.

Restoring Revolution, painting Tatsu, a serious rehab on Riddler, a re-track of Apocalypse, and just general freshening up of the park should be next on the agenda.

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with you. I just know that SF is going to want that 20th Coaster soon. So I'm just speculating on what it could be. I think there are a lot of non-coaster additions and changes the Park needs, but I'm also realistic about the fact that SFMM takes a very different route.

What enthusiast wouldn't want an Intamin airtime machine in their park? But really man? Is Twisted Colossus alone not good enough?

Is this a trick question? Of course they could use another airtime machine (TC is it).

With that said, before the 20th comes, I'd rather them spruce up the park. My guess is coaster #20 will go in the back portion of the park, which is underutilized (movietown/riddlers area).

SFMM does not need any more new coasters, but I still think that they will keep building them anyway. Their major coaster lineup is very well-rounded as is, but I cannot say the same about anything else to do with this park. But, I do not have much reason to believe yet that their previous focus would change.

I would love to see something like the SFOT Justice League ride in the park. I think people would really enjoy it, and it would help give the park some more diversity in terms of attractions. I expect that the 20th coaster is going to be a 2017 addition.

I would love to see something like the SFOT Justice League ride in the park. I think people would really enjoy it, and it would help give the park some more diversity in terms of attractions. I expect that the 20th coaster is going to be a 2017 addition.

Totally agree with you, I would love to see the Justice League ride at SFMM. The park has opened new coasters each of the last three years, but it really lacks a quality dark ride. The new Justice League ride looks incredible and would be a great non-coaster option for the park, especially during the hot summers.

I indeed meant the 21 st of June (Sunday). I can imagine that the Flash Pass would be a good choiche, but we think the cost it to high. So at the moment, we don't think to use it (but never say never ).

So as I understand the best choiche is to go to the twisted Colossus first?

The X2 coaster is too crowded in the bezinning of the day, so it's better to go to it around 4-5 pm?

If we rode the twisted Colossus, what afterwards? We would like to do a mix of rollercoasters, water attractions and of course the drop of doom.

Thanks

Me thinks the 21st day of June would be just you and 25,000 of your closest friends. Should be a great day. Bring A Friend Free day Father’s Day – valid only June 21

On that subject, is the old Magic Pagoda building still at SFMM (I haven't been to the park in a while)? I could see that being a good place to stick a dark ride.

Yeah it's there, it's now Willoughby's Resurrected. The building is actually quite small though, too small for a decent sized dark ride.

On that subject, is the old Magic Pagoda building still at SFMM (I haven't been to the park in a while)? I could see that being a good place to stick a dark ride.

Yeah it's there, it's now Willoughby's Resurrected. The building is actually quite small though, too small for a decent sized dark ride.

I'm not actually saying in the same building, I'm just looking at the potential location.

You guys should know by now SFMM is in the business of roller coasters.

I've dared to dream for the last 19 years that SFMM would expand their horizons and add something other then a coaster to the park. No real reason to stop now.

I'd love to see a Dynamic Attractions SFX coaster, but I know that's just a crazy dream.

My craziest dream would actually be for them to buy some land in the hills behind the park and throw a super quick and terrain-y Intamin giga coaster back there. Maybe remove the go-karts and use that space for the station and queue area.

You guys should know by now SFMM is in the business of roller coasters.

I don't see any other parks in California getting another big coaster. Cedar Fair would love a 300+' tall coaster for Knott's but Buena Park would never allow it. The Disney parks will likely get another expensive highly themed coaster but nothing overly thrilling. Magic Mountain is the only park with large buffer zones for noise.

Magic Mountain can't compete with Disneyland, Universal or even Knott's on the themed family business so why even try. 10 to 20 million only buys such a realistic dark ride. Knott's is forced to compete because they don't have the room or noise clearances to build anything big. If Lex Luther Drop of Doom brought in more people; SFMM might focus more on flat rides but I guess it takes a big ride to draw the crowds.

Edited by SoCalJasonland

I have bought a gold flash pass before but I have never bought a regular flash pass. Can someone please tell me how long the waits are with the regular pass?

It depends on how long the line is for the ride you want to go on. Flash Pass just reserves you a time to come back to the ride (like Disney's FastPass, but not free). If you upgrade to the higher levels, it cuts down your wait time to a percentage of the current regular wait time. With the Gold pass, you wait for half as long as the regular line.

In that event that SFMM were to build another large-scale coaster, I always thought it would be cool to put the station where Deja Vu used to be and build the lift east with the ride occupying the wooded area around/above Roaring Rapids. If they could do that without removing many trees that would be great. Probably wouldn't happen but hey, one can dream right?

I'd love to see Magic Mountain build a huge coaster at the back of the park, but I don't even know what their property lines are... For example, the space right behind Apocalypse supposedly isn't even the park's property (even though they have been using it for years). As a matter of fact the park recently cleaned out that entire area and moved a ton of sea trains to directly behind Batman. So it seems like the park doesn't actually own anything behind the access road.

Does anyone know where to find actual property lines for Santa Clarita? I've always been curious...

I know I'm dreaming here but here goes...I'd like to see a Giga starting in the back of the park, station maybe where Deja Vu once was, The lifthill would travel up towards the front of the park where the strip of land run along side Roaring Rapids, from there hop over to maybe where the old Revolution plaza, and from there over to the picnic area(which I've never seen used ever!!!) in front of the park. I'd like to see SFMM redo their front entrance with the coaster coming from the picnic area over the entrance like Fury 325.

Another dream would be to turn the SkyTower into a Polercoaster

I know not to look to much into it but during Bonnie's speech during TC media day she pretty much said Twisted Colossus isn't it!!! that there is something major coming in the future hint hint. I don't know I just think when SFMM do decide to announce their 20th it's going to be something MAJOR!!!

I never considered the possibility of Magic Mountain getting a Giga coaster because, let's face it, which park would have both a Hyper AND a Giga coaster? In lieu of trying to research the answer, I went to Carowinds and got my answer. Intimidator and Fury ride very differently, so I could see that happening. I would hope they utilize B&M and build something similar to Fury. That beast flies like crazy! I'm curious whether SFMM/ SFI in general will make an exception for SFMM's 20th coaster regarding budget. If they're hoping for something record-breaking and memorable, I think they'll have to go outside of their "reduced' budget as of late.

I never considered the possibility of Magic Mountain getting a Giga coaster because, let's face it, which park would have both a Hyper AND a Giga coaster? In lieu of trying to research the answer, I went to Carowinds and got my answer. Intimidator and Fury ride very differently, so I could see that happening. I would hope they utilize B&M and build something similar to Fury. That beast flies like crazy! I'm curious whether SFMM/ SFI in general will make an exception for SFMM's 20th coaster regarding budget. If they're hoping for something record-breaking and memorable, I think they'll have to go outside of their "reduced' budget as of late.

carowinds, cedar point, canada's wonderland.

maybe they can sell all the coasters i don't care to ride anymore and get enough money for a giga.

^ If they're worried about budget, they could turn once again to RMC. By that time, there's no telling what they'll have in their repertoire.

Seriously. They should just ask RMC for suggestions and hire them. I can't built believe how awesome TC is and how fast it was built.

I also wonder if it is possible to replace the trains in every SFMM coaster with the type of train that TC has. People would no longer hit their heads during rides.

Edited by mike932

Six Flags hasn't spent more than $15 million on a single attraction in almost a decade (SFoG's Goliath, Tatsu, and El Toro being the last). I doubt they'd start again up again with an attraction that would probably cost about $30 million. Plus has anyone taken a serious look at SFMM's skyline? I think MM is landlocked. Not as extreme as say Knott's for instance, but MM doesnt have the space a Gradv or a KI has. Most of MM's rides are close together and sort of on top of one another. Not sure where a giga would fit, maybe if they removed something.