TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Does anyone know if X2 will be open today?

Forecast shows wind averaging about 10mph, so it's possible it might be closed. According to the forecast the wind isnt supposed to pick up until about noon, so it might just open in the morning, but I wouldnt be surprised if they just elected to not open it. X2 unfortunately will close in what seems like just the slightest breeze. If you're going today and want to ride it, I'd get there early and go straight for it.

thank you. on the way from Fresno right now. gonna marathon tc using single rider

Let us know how that goes. I fear that many people who are not single riders will use this line, and it will not be a great time saver. I hope I am wrong.

^They did close off the single ride line periodically yesterday when they estimated it would be a longer wait than standby. During the 30/45 minutes I was in line, I saw them pull 5, maybe 6 tops. I know I definitely boarded before the last person in the single rider line got on, and they were in line before I got there

If X2 opens at opening, it will stay open the entire day. Even if the winds pick

Up in the afternoon, it will stay open. If it is closed in the morning, it won't open back up even if the winds die down. So id the winds stay calm it should be open the whole day. I've never seen them open then close early for wind. I've ridden in some pretty knarly wind on that thing.

Honestly, the Flash Pass is a ripoff any way you slice it. Disney's FastPass also is just a reservation system that doesn't actually decrease your wait time, but at least it's free.[/i].

How does any of this make sense to you? I've purchased Gold and Platinum level FastPass and it has significantly reduced my wait time. SIGNIFICANTLY. Was it worth the money? You bet. My time waiting, baking in the sun is totally worth it. Hell, Disneyland Fastpass allows you to be virtually queued for said ride while you occupy yourself with other things to do, including waiting for another ride (same as SF). It just saved you waiting 70+ minutes for Space Mtn while you waited 40min for Thunder Mtn. By the time you're off Thunder, youre ready to BYPASS a majority of the Space Mtn line. How does that NOT save you time? Without it, you would be waiting that 70+ min after you get off Thunder Mtn. How is that not valued....

No this guy probably has never used a Six Flags Flash Pass and misunderstood. The "one time only" thing is specifically for Twisted Colossus, X2, and YOLOCoaster. Because of their high demand and/or low capacity, the park doesn't want them on the full Flash Pass, so they are set up on a reservation system. Once you buy your Platinum Flash pass, you have the ability to purchase individual single ride reservations for those attractions. This allows people to still skip the line while not overly slowing down the standby queue. For every other ride in the park, you can use the Flash Pass as much as you want. The only limitation is that you can only reserve one ride at a time, so you just reserve your next ride each time you check in. I think it's actually a little better than Fast Pass/Flash Pass is that the Six Flags version in that it is remote, so you don't have to be physically at the next ride to check in for it.

There are definitely days where a Flash Pass isn't worth it, and I'd wager there are more of those than days than ones where it's necessary. But there are a lot of days, especially in the summer, where it's a great advantage. The busiest day I ever visited the park on was on the Saturday of Labor Day weekend, and I sure didn't feel like it was a ripoff then, more like a life saver.

here is the issue though…

you are absolutely right the pass does save time…. but fewer and fewer rides are worth it.. for example, Batman.. you could use it, but over the past 21 years, Batman has lost what made it special, and thus is not a really a draw for me anymore.. HATED green lantern, riddlers revenge is uncomfortable not that fun, viper kills your head, same with apocalypse, ninja is more of a kid ride and drop of doom is fun the first few times you ride it, but in the end it is just a higher version of any fair ever made…

All of those rides even on busy days, you can use the flash pass in theory, but you don't have too or really want to any way…

that leaves us with the rides that imo, make six flags worth it: TC, YOLOcoaster, X2, Tatsu, Superman, Goliath, Roaring Rapids, and to a lessor extent Scream…

Lets be honest you can only do RR once MAYBE twice during a typical day… And when you have Superman, X2, AND Goliath not working, YOLO and TC only can ride once (and you can't even pay for a reservation like you use to) you run out of things to do…

i did speak with management and at first they were like if you have ridden 3 rides you can't have a refund no matter what… well we had ridden two, and they asked if they could put one ride for each coaster back on if that would suffice… meanwhile I had a balling 12 year old thinking were were going to leave if we turned it in, so we relented knowing it would still be a complete waste of $250, but at least he could ride tatasu a few times… that literally became the only ride we wanted to spend the flash pass on…

Overall, I don't blame the management staff, they did the best they could, ultimately they need to fix the system, to give the customer the ability to customize and maximize their experience… I would gladly pay more for less rides if they were the ones I knew were in working order, and wanted to ride… instead we get stuck paying a premium price for a less the mediocre product, and that feels awful...

While we are on the topic, what days do you recommend buying the Flash Pass? I plan to go on a Tuesday July 7. I'm thinking my visit to MM would benefit from buying the Flash Pass and not having to stand out in the heat in long lines? What is the general opinion? Are the crowds busy during the beginning of the week in the middle of summer?

at tc now. technical difficulties. not one train has ridden yet. employee stated single rider will operate today.

aerolet, do not buy a flash pass in advance. wait to see if you need it

Edited by mike932

Unfortunate. Wonder if their issues are still stemming from the green lift.

a train with one employee on it never came back

employee said it is stuck on the lift. I cannot see it from the queue.

edit: ït is indeed stuck at bottom of green lift. employee said it won't be much longer.

at tc now. technical difficulties. not one train has ridden yet. employee stated single rider will operate today.

aerolet, do not buy a flash pass in advance. wait to see if you need it

Same thing happened around 7pm last night, it went down for at least 30mins. Seems like TC is having some serious teething problems and is going down daily.

If employees are riding then they're doing their safety rides which is a good sign.

Isn't that protocol on every ride?

Also, when I went and it broke down while we were in line and waited another hour, one train was stuck at the bottom of the green lift. So that seems to be a problem point so far for the ride.

running test trains again

12:15pm both cars stopped on lifts so worker can work on track at loading area. his tool is making a grinding noise

12:36 just rode first train of the day. on single rider line now which is moving.

1pm just rode again. witnessed walk of shame.

1:38 rode third time. main line might be same wait by now.

2:09 rode fourth time. i watched someone enter the main line when I entered single rider line. I only beat him to the ride by two trains. Just entered main line for the first time while watching someone on single rider line.

Edited by mike932

^ Yea I was there Sunday evening and TC went down for 2 hours. I had nothing to do so I didn't mind waiting around and chatting with the other peeps in line around me. Same problem you're describing though. Trains stuck out on the lifts, lots of tinkering at the rear of the station behind the back car and stuff too. They finally just removed the 3rd train and we were able to get on literally as the park closed at 9pm so yay!

It didn't really bother me that much at all cause I expect new rides to be a bit temperamental as park staff/maintenance/engineers figure it all out.

Yesterday morning before the park opened I got stuck on the ride for 25 minutes. They were having trouble with the train ahead of us in the station though, not really sure what it was all about.

And I have yet to get a single dueling ride on TC yet...

single rider line sucked until there was a new grouper change. then he was fast. but what it really means is the other person was putting odd groups together instead of pulling from the single rider line. anyway, I got my first front row ride.

now waiting for my friend who got in the regular line after we were waiting in the single for about 20 minutes.

I barely beat the guy who I would have been behind. but, with the current grouper, I think single rider is worth it right now.

IImageUploadedByTapatalk1433376615.432579.thumb.jpg.c49b1c5d035a574e86c43622b52083c0.jpg

I guess I never really looked close at this image but the new layout is overlaid the old colossus. I was looking at it while in line and was thinking what's the red lines for, then realized it was the old layout. DUH

While we are on the topic, what days do you recommend buying the Flash Pass? I plan to go on a Tuesday July 7. I'm thinking my visit to MM would benefit from buying the Flash Pass and not having to stand out in the heat in long lines? What is the general opinion? Are the crowds busy during the beginning of the week in the middle of summer?

If it's a Saturday holiday weekend, a big event day such as Key Club Day, or something really crazy, or if you're Dan Bilzerian, then buy it ahead of time. In all other cases, wait till you get to the park to see if it's busy.