TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

That picture looks great, I wonder if they are behind in construction.

I don't think they're behind with construction on-site; it seems like as soon as new track is delivered, it gets put up almost immediately. It's possible the track fabrication is behind, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Though TC is coming a long at a great pace for SFMM, I am skeptic at how complete the area will be by opening day. I remember hearing something specific about the pathway/pavement in the area. Anyone know?

Also,

How much worse is Sat Feb 6(till 8) versus Sun feb 7(till 6) ??

Though TC is coming a long at a great pace for SFMM, I am skeptic at how complete the area will be by opening day. I remember hearing something specific about the pathway/pavement in the area. Anyone know?

Also,

How much worse is Sat Feb 6(till 8) versus Sun feb 7(till 6) ??

Well thats the difference, isn't it? The coaster is being constructed by Rocky Mountain Construction, and the area around it and theming are being done by Six Flags. I'll give you one guess which one gets done on time.

X2 ERT for passholders at 10:00AM this Saturday for those who are interested....

Did you ever find out what time the snack hours start and end for the new dining pass? Google didn't answer that for me.

I am skeptic at how complete the area will be by opening day.

Well, judging by their recent area "facelifts" I would expect to see a once orignal, quality area, demolished for nothing but a useless, boring, concrete plaza, spray painted at the last minute, with a minimal amount of shade or quality theming. Let's add overpriced crappy food facilities and loud music you're sick of hearing. But hey! It's only going to last a year because the budget will run out, so we got that going for us!

*BARF!*

Sorry Six Flags, but you've earned your reputation!

X2 ERT for passholders at 10:00AM this Saturday for those who are interested....

Did you ever find out what time the snack hours start and end for the new dining pass? Google didn't answer that for me.

I'm betting it's between lunch and dinner times.

SFDK hasn't update their menu on their site yet. I assume fries, Churro's and popcorn are going to be listed.

^ Yeah I don't know, maybe.

Golden Kingdom still looks pretty good, as does DC Universe. Sometimes, when you least expect it, they get it right (For Six Flags anyway).

I will admit that Golden Kingdom and DC Universe (formally the amazing Gotham City Backlot) are quality SF areas, out of dozens of "themed" areas that Six Flags has done. I also found Superman's queue pretty unique when it first opened, but all 3 of these areas were done long, long ago. So I gotta be honest, after they destroyed pretty much ALL of the parks beautiful north entrance plaza for Full.Throttle, I'm really scared what the attempted "steampunk" area in Colossus County Fair is going to become. I would bet it's going to be laughably lousy. Considering what a nice area of the park that north entrance plaza used to be, what's there now BLOWS. Nothing but a load of concrete! I mean anyone could lay concrete and put up a temporary stage! Is this a traveling carnival or a permanent theme park???

For TC, they should have just kept the fair theme, there's nothing wrong with a fair theme! They could revamp the areas buildings (Freshers, former Ben and Jerry's, Bathroom, etc.) and the Colossus station. There's no need to "completely demolish and half ass re-theme" that entire area to get people back there, Twisted Colossus will do that on it's own. I'm sick of this company trying to impress the public and falling short. They should look within their capabilities and make the most of it. Even though the area might not have been a high traffic area because of aging Colossus and not so popular Scream, doesn't mean that area was not a spectacularly beautiful and peaceful and enjoyable area of the park!

Sorry to kinda rant, but I'm sick of this company destroying a park I love because nobody in charge seems to have their friggen head on straight!

Golden Kingdom looks good mainly because Six Flags worked with what they do best, nothing. The planted a crap ton of plants, and then let them over grow, so you truly get this forested african feel from the tall grasses and such. Its basically the same idea as them theming Batman: The Ride to look like a seedy back alley... the more crap people toss around, the more graffiti people carve into the walls, the more authentic it appears... Six flags finally said "Hey, if we can't make something continue to look clean and manicured, lets make it look overgrown, which is what we are going to end up doing anyway"

Golden Kingdom looks good mainly because Six Flags worked with what they do best, nothing. The planted a crap ton of plants, and then let them over grow, so you truly get this forested african feel from the tall grasses and such. Its basically the same idea as them theming Batman: The Ride to look like a seedy back alley... the more crap people toss around, the more graffiti people carve into the walls, the more authentic it appears... Six flags finally said "Hey, if we can't make something continue to look clean and manicured, lets make it look overgrown, which is what we are going to end up doing anyway"

Not true. GK looked its best when it was brand new. The plants, music, theming of the buildings and live animals are/were well-above normal SF quality.

There is definitely a lot of cost cutting going on in the chain right now, even with their "flagship" parks, and Imo, it really hurts the brand, especially when you compare it against what Cedar Fair is doing.

There is no way SFGadv and SFMM should be cheapie about their additions. But that has been the case now since emerging from bankruptcy.

There is definitely a lot of cost cutting going on in the chain right now, even with their "flagship" parks, and Imo, it really hurts the brand, especially when you compare it against what Cedar Fair is doing.

There is no way SFGadv and SFMM should be cheapie about their additions. But that has been the case now since emerging from bankruptcy.

SFMM is not receiving a "Cheapie" addition. They are reciving what could hold the title of Best 2015 attraction.

^^ Right. And the same could not be said for Full Throttle, Green Lantern or Great Adventure's El Diablo.

Besides, we weren't really talking about coaster additions, but rather the cheap theming that often surrounds them. Coughyolocough. ..

I will admit that Golden Kingdom and DC Universe (formally the amazing Gotham City Backlot) are quality SF areas, out of dozens of "themed" areas that Six Flags has done. I also found Superman's queue pretty unique when it first opened, but all 3 of these areas were done long, long ago. So I gotta be honest, after they destroyed pretty much ALL of the parks beautiful north entrance plaza for Full.Throttle, I'm really scared what the attempted "steampunk" area in Colossus County Fair is going to become. I would bet it's going to be laughably lousy. Considering what a nice area of the park that north entrance plaza used to be, what's there now BLOWS. Nothing but a load of concrete! I mean anyone could lay concrete and put up a temporary stage! Is this a traveling carnival or a permanent theme park???

DC Universe wasn't that long ago. In fact it was done under the current corporate regime.

^^ Right. And the same could not be said for YOLOcoaster, Green Lantern or Great Adventure's El Diablo.

Besides, we weren't really talking about coaster additions, but rather the cheap theming that often surrounds them. Coughyolocough. ..

Assuming the bolded portion of your comment is agreeing that TC (the coaster itself) is a solid addition, and then listing others that aren't...

I'll agree with Green Lantern and SFGAdv's Ring of Fire, but FT is a Premier Launch Coaster that I would consider in the vein of Freeze and those similar to it (launch, a few elements, big drop). It's far from throwing a crappy cookie cutter down and calling it a day, regardless of what some may think could have been built in it's place.

I will agree that it resides in Scream's realm when it comes to underwhelming names for full-sized coasters.

Edited by Ed Farmer

It always surprises me that people are still care about SFMM's theming situation.

Magic Mountain's always gonna try to do some little theming here or there and it'll always be cute but meh at best, that's just how things go there. I think I was 8 or 9 when I figured out SFMM is for coasters and Disneyland/Knotts/USH are for themed experiences. Can't believe some adults aren't able to understand that.

It always surprises me that people are still care about SFMM's theming situation.

I think I was 8 or 9 when I figured out SFMM is for coasters and Disneyland/Knotts/USH are for themed experiences. Can't believe some adults aren't able to understand that.

Aren't you just amazing....

Magic Mountain's always gonna try to do some little theming here or there and it'll always be cute but meh at best, that's just how things go there. I think I was 8 or 9 when I figured out SFMM is for coasters and Disneyland/Knotts/USH are for themed experiences. Can't believe some adults aren't able to understand that.

I completely agree with you on this Mater and could not of said it better. It amazes me how many individuals complain about MM and the lack of themeing or cheapness. If it bothers anyone that much ...DONT GO!!! IT WILL NEVER CHANGE. Less lines for us.