TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Had a nice walk around the park. Very low amount of people there today for a 70 degree Saturday and just at closing a few sprinkles started to fall.

Here are the photos people here asked me to take not including Throttle cement pouring.

I dont see them?

I kinda miss the days where we actually had to ride the new ride to enjoy it. This 'Wheres my POV' conversation is stupid.

Seriously, the announcement video provides more than enough information as to EXACTLY how the ride is going to go. Why do you need more?

Back in the days before internet(yes I am older) we used to get TV commercials that showed nothing but maybe a logo and that was it. The anticipation build up was so much greater than what it is today. I kinda miss having to wait for the trip to the parks for the first glimpse of a new attraction. Now we already know every in and out of a ride before it even opens. Stop bitching about an animated POV and be thankful that they even showed a layout.

I went to the park on Superbowl Sunday hoping it wouldn't be that crowded. It turned out almost every coaster was only running one train which made the lines a lot longer than expected. On top of that, three rides broke down just as I got to the front of the line. I still managed to have a decent day even from all of the bad luck I seemed to take in.

^The park itself was actually rather busy on Sunday as well. As busy as I've seen it since the week of New Years. Apocalypse and Riddler are the only rides that have an excuse to run 1 train. Everything else that is is just running one due to laziness. Apocalypse and Riddler will get their second trains back around Spring Break.

The Riddler having only one train isn't all that big of a deal. I went there on a Saturday during Fright Fest when there was only one train, and we still only had to wait about 8 minutes for a front seat ride. It's lost a lot of popularity in the last few years ever since the demolishing of Freefall.

The Riddler having only one train isn't all that big of a deal. I went there on a Saturday during Fright Fest when there was only one train, and we still only had to wait about 8 minutes for a front seat ride. It's lost a lot of popularity in the last few years ever since the demolishing of Freefall.

You must've visited in an off-day for Riddler as it has some of the longest lines at SFMM in the summer.

It's lost a lot of popularity in the last few years ever since the demolishing of Freefall.

WHAT?!?!?! What does that even have to do with Riddler? No one went on FreeFall, plenty of people went on Riddler, taking FreeFall out didn't have any impact on Riddler. Oh wait, you're some sort of Brony...that explains a lot.

I've visited SFMM probably 7 or 8 times since the summer and I have never seen them run two trains. Even before summer, when they had two trains, they were only letting people board one train. The lines were ridiculous for Riddler every time I went in 2012. Last Saturday I managed to get a ride early in the morning with no wait, but later in the day it was about an hour wait! I usually just avoid it completely!

I was there the first week in October on a Friday and we waited less time for all the other coasters than we did Riddler's (even X2 and GL:FF had shorter lines.) Had to wait almost an hour for RR and we rode it in the middle to make it a shorter wait. One train ops should never happen at a park like MM.

This is exactly why my visits to SFMM went from 5+ times a year, to once a year (if that). They don't seem to 'care' about being super efficient, or providing the best possible experience; they just want to 'get by'.

I'll spend my money at Knott's or Disney parks, where it at least seems like they are making an effort.

This is exactly why my visits to SFMM went from 5+ times a year, to once a year (if that). They don't seem to 'care' about being super efficient, or providing the best possible experience; they just want to 'get by'.

I'll spend my money at Knott's or Disney parks, where it at least seems like they are making an effort.

It really bugs me that SFMM gets crapped on for the same crap other parks pull. You're telling me Knott's and Disney does no wrong?

Also, how is Knott's making an effort? This is the park that continuously builds one train rides that have the lowest capacity. I can't tell you how long it's been since I've ridden a Knott's coaster because I won't wait the crazy lines and I went 5+ times last year with not one coaster ridden. Most of their rides can only run one train (Monterzumas, Boomerang and Sierra Sidewinder) and those that can do more (Xcelerator, GR, Jaguar, Silver Bullet and Pony Express) ALWAYS seem to have one in rehab so they end up running one train.

One coaster out of 17 runs one train and SFMM is horrible. Ugh...

^ Weird, Must be you're computer.

Also, how is Knott's making an effort? This is the park that continuously builds one train rides that have the lowest capacity. I can't tell you how long it's been since I've ridden a Knott's coaster because I won't wait the crazy lines and I went 5+ times last year with not one coaster ridden. Most of their rides can only run one train (Monterzumas, Boomerang and Sierra Sidewinder) and those that can do more (Xcelerator, GR, Jaguar, Silver Bullet and Pony Express) ALWAYS seem to have one in rehab so they end up running one train.

One coaster out of 17 runs one train and SFMM is horrible. Ugh...

Knott's also does about 3 times the yearly attendance that SFMM does. Knott's is open 364 days a year and every time I've visited during peak season, they've had all rides sunning at full capacity and are MUCH faster at loading them (Including Sierra Sidewinder that has 2 trains, not one).

Your excuses for SFMM are irrelevant. SFDK opperates only about 30 days less a year than SFMM and they are great at having maximum train operation when possible. Medusa always has 2 trains even during Holiday in the Park when the park is dead. Roar and Kong operate on 1 train op at the end of the year while one train is in rehab, then they swap and operate for the first few weeks of the next season on one while the other train gets rehabbed. This is also a Maintenance department that is about a third the size of MM and has roughly the same amount of ride (just more flats than coastes). MM just doesn't care and would rather cut costs than provide a better experience.

Knott's operations are not what anyone would call good. However, Knott's has generally fewer crowds on its larger coasters, so the effect of consistently rehabbing trains it not quite as noticeable. Also, Knott's is able to redeem itself in other areas. At least half the park is well themed and kept up, and they have more shows, actual dark rides, and the worst-looking area in the park is getting a major expansion. What does SFMM have to redeem itself? Nothing but coasters.