TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Does anyone else find it slightly ironic that one of the largest parks in the country putting more hype into this project than almost any other coaster in the country in the past few years, yet, this is a project small enough that any medium sized park could afford with ease?

This was one of the reasons I highly disliked Full Throttle when it was announced. Rumors had it that it was going to be a kick-ass ride which would actually put the terrain of the Mountain to good use, and it would be a LONG ride. But I had my hopes to high and when it was announced, it turned out to be something lower than I expected, and so much hype for something that may have been the greatest coaster in the West, turned out to be a coaster I do not think will give a "kick-ass" experience at all....

Great catches everyone! I didn't even read the full press release to see that they're claiming this is the first song ever for a coaster. Ugh. Nothing will ever beat the Euro Mir song!!!!

That is the best coaster theme song ever!

There was also an entire soundtrack written for Nemesis at Alton Towers. While it wasn't sung, it certainly had some great presence in the queue and the surrounding area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAK-i9kPC14

And let's not forget that Dick Dale tune that was originally written for the soundtrack of Space Mountain at Disneyland:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3ypNd0cod4

^ Love the old Dick Dale song. I would love for Disney to do a Limited Time Magic with the old soundtrack. I mean they did that awful "Rockin' Space Mountain" idea (which worked much better on CA Screamin'), so a retro event with a song people loved shouldn't be out of the question.

But back to SFMM, I think it's safe to say that almost everything Six Flags has said about Full Throttle is pretty much BS. I'm not even entirely convinced it's made by Premier anymore, or that it's even a roller coaster. Maybe it's just an elaborate joke... YOLO!

Perhaps they are implying that this will be the first 'Roller Coaster Theme Song' that will be released as a single on the radio? I can't think of any RC theme songs that have gone that far yet...

Anyone can release a single for the radio...whether it gets played is another story...and whether anyone they're marketing to listens to the radio is another.

Perhaps they are implying that this will be the first 'Roller Coaster Theme Song' that will be released as a single on the radio? I can't think of any RC theme songs that have gone that far yet...

Anyone can release a single for the radio...whether it gets played is another story...and whether anyone they're marketing to listens to the radio is another.

That's not necessarily true, the vast majority of music you hear on the radio is not requested, rather, the record companies pay a fee to guarantee a specific number of plays per hour/day/week. If Six Flags or the artists record label pays to have the track play over and over again, then you will hear it over and over again regardless of what the public wants to hear. I've been thinking about this statement and how it can be labeled as 'first' and I truly believe this makes sense...these days you just buy your way into popularity....now that Clear Channel and CBS basically own the entire radio market.

Demon 1980. Dated and very cheesy, but somehow still OK (or maybe just sentimental to some of us that grew up with it). That song (woven into a 25 minute long story that you listened to while in line) is still played at the park (Gurnee at least), especially during Fright Fest. The story used to freak me out when I was a little kid, with its fake news reports of the Demon and sightings... remember, this was 1980. Disco was dying a very slow and painful death!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8cTPZMv3Ww

I really hope the person who wrote that press release is reading this thread. Can't wait to hear what world record or 'first time ever' thing is going to be announced next!

I'm thinking they will announce first coaster with a tunnel.

That's not necessarily true, the vast majority of music you hear on the radio is not requested, rather, the record companies pay a fee to guarantee a specific number of plays per hour/day/week. If Six Flags or the artists record label pays to have the track play over and over again, then you will hear it over and over again regardless of what the public wants to hear. I've been thinking about this statement and how it can be labeled as 'first' and I truly believe this makes sense...these days you just buy your way into popularity....now that Clear Channel and CBS basically own the entire radio market.

That's actually illegal unless they disclose it as "sponsored airtime."

^I certainly simplified my explanation quite a bit, but in practice, most music on the air is being paid for by the labels.

How stuff works explanation

Anyway I'm not trying to be weird I was just suggesting a possibility as to why they are calling it a 'first.' It could definitely be SFMM being SFMM as well

Edited by WFChris

I know it's off topic, but I work occasionally for a locally owned country music station here in Utah, mostly doing giveaways and such. Chris is absolutely 100% correct. There is a person at our radio station that does the playlists for the week. She creates a Playlist for every day with songs that must have a minimum amount of air play, for which they get free crap from the labels (it's far from the quality TPR Bag-O-Crap stuff). Each hour there are 3 open air play slots where the DJ can play requests or what they want.

-Sid

The park is marketing the ride. Yeah it's weird that the park is advertising "first roller coaster in the world to have its own theme song" when at least 2 of their own coasters have a custom theme song as well. But marketing is bound to blow things like that out of proportion.

Full Throttle still looks pretty sweet though.

I'm gonna head over to the mountain today for an all day trip since I can enjoy longer hours again! Can't wait to stay Til 8PM and get two whole hours in the dark.

Nice! I'm leaving shortly for the park as well! I'm only going to spend a couple of hours there. I'll try to get a few pics there as well.

I'll be the guy sporting the USH hoodie with blue jeans if you happen to run into me.

The park is marketing the ride. Yeah it's weird that the park is advertising "first roller coaster in the world to have its own theme song" when at least 2 of their own coasters have a custom theme song as well. But marketing is bound to blow things like that out of proportion.

YOLOcoaster still looks pretty sweet though.

The Riddler song wasn't specifically written for the ride. I forget the song name but it was just a song they licensed they play in the station.