TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

- Horrid operations on Tatsu (to be fair, this has been the case since day one)

- Not running Green Lantern the way it's supposed to run

- No more music on Apocalypse and (apparently) X2

- Removal of Sky Tower museum

- Trash not removed nightly

- Upkeep on Bathrooms not being kept up

OK, I really feel the need to refute these...

-Last I heard, Tatsu was running both trains and releasing trains before the timer even finished counting down.

-Again, the last report I heard (just about 10 pages back), Green Lantern was spinning more than ever!

-No music is an good thing, in my opinion. I know, many of you will disagree, but it really feels like a cheap way to add excitement. All it really adds is a headache.

-Again, we don't know if the removal is permanent.

I'll be visiting the park in about two weeks, so I can make an even more informed opinion, but I really think everyone is just feeding off this negativity, and it's quite annoying. We have one of the best theme parks in the world, people. Enjoy it for what it is! (and give them a chance to correct their errors)

We have one of the best theme parks in the world, people. Enjoy it for what it is! (and give them a chance to correct their errors)

I can respond to everything with valid rebuttals, but you've obviously never been to other theme parks, right?

SFMM has good rides. But how does that make it one of the best parks in the world? Of those 'good' rides, they neuter them (GL not spinning - it really doesn't spin much), sporadic audio on X2 (when it's part of the 4-D package), Revolution (OTSRs), etc.

Go to other parks, and try to think of SFMM the same way.

We have one of the best theme parks in the world, people. Enjoy it for what it is! (and give them a chance to correct their errors)

I can respond to everything with valid rebuttals, but you've obviously never been to other theme parks, right?

SFMM has good rides. But how does that make it one of the best parks in the world? Of those 'good' rides, they neuter them (GL not spinning - it really doesn't spin much), sporadic audio on X2 (when it's part of the 4-D package), Revolution (OTSRs), etc.

I've been to at least 12 other parks in my life. Although it's probably considered minuscule by your standards, it's still plenty to form an opinion on other parks.

These are some of the best parks in the world:

-Disneyland

-EPCOT

-Tokyo DisneySea

-Europa Park

-Dollywood

-Alton Towers

I don't see SFMM being as good as those parks at all.

Since I just spent a week at Dollywood, I can agree.

Add to that the fact that I live 80 miles from Disneyland/Knott's, went on 2 amazing TPR trips last summer to 'real' parks, and have been going to SFMM for about three years straight, and yeah, it's a good place for 'extreme' coasters, but that's about it.

These are some of the best parks in the world:

-Disneyland

-EPCOT

-Tokyo DisneySea

-Europa Park

-Dollywood

-Alton Towers

I don't see SFMM being as good as those parks at all.

I didn't say it was the best. I said it was one of the best. Different parks are there for different audiences. Among roller coaster parks, Magic Mountain is one of the best. You cannot deny that fact.

Edited by MontagnaMagica

Does anyone know if there are any private parties at the park this upcoming Friday?

Yes the 4th 11th and 18th all have Friday PP's

Is the one this Friday going to be big?

I cant figure out who's there on the 4th I think lst year about this time was LAUSD and some electrician group but I know its blocked out.. who knows maybe Chris Brown or Bruce Willis rented out the park again... on the 11th is Triple A AAA sfmm night info

and on the 18th is a mini grad night here is that schd may 18th grad info for sfmm

To answer the Tatsu crew debate.

Yes, Tatsu does have its good days. However, I have never been there when it has had any. I keep reading reports of no stacking on Tatsu. Yet, whenever I go, there is stacking on most cycles.

Sure, there are some good days, but what really matters is consistancy. Hell, the whole park in general has 'good days' and 'bad days'. When the bad days start to out number the good days, you have a problem. Operations are generally slightly better than before, but, in terms of overall cleanliness, the park is about 50/50 in terms of good and bad days, and is probably going to head in the wrong direction.

I will give the park a little bit of credit for improving its dispatch times on a few rides, but nothing else.

^ Wow, it's already AAA night again?

I went in 2010, but I guess 2011 was really busy?

I went both years during the day, but not for the private party. 2010 wasn't too bad. 2011's was packed! Overflow lot packed. Had to wait almost 2 hours for X2 and about 55 minutes for Superman. P.A.C.K.E.D.

But anyways...do you think it will be packed on Friday? I am going from 12:30 to 6, and I am hoping for an X2 marathon.. and I have two people wanting to ride X2 for the first time. I know that last Friday the lot didn't fill past the picnic area.

- Upkeep on Bathrooms not being kept up

OK, I really feel the need to refute these...

-Last I heard, Tatsu was running both trains and releasing trains before the timer even finished counting down.

-Again, the last report I heard (just about 10 pages back), Green Lantern was spinning more than ever!

-No music is an good thing, in my opinion. I know, many of you will disagree, but it really feels like a cheap way to add excitement. All it really adds is a headache.

-Again, we don't know if the removal is permanent.

I'll be visiting the park in about two weeks, so I can make an even more informed opinion, but I really think everyone is just feeding off this negativity, and it's quite annoying. We have one of the best theme parks in the world, people. Enjoy it for what it is! (and give them a chance to correct their errors)

I rode GL last week and didn't spin once. Not even at the end coming into the station.

Even though the park was DEAD when I was there last week, Tatsu still had a line to the top of the station stairs (nothing else did). Obviously that's not "much" of a line, but it just goes to show that a ride that "should" be one of the higher capacity rides in the park had a line where one of the lowest capacity (GL) had absolutely no line.

SFMM isn't a "theme" park, but I think others have pretty much answered that.

As for AAA night ... I was there last year. Insanely packed. Won't be going back this year.

Just to offer a bit of balance to the conversation (although I agree with the overall perception), the park has made a few positive moves recently.

1) Removal of the rotting Thrillshot

2) Great operations at X2 (it seems they've finally gotten it right).

3) Finally adding a thrilling "NON" coaster ride to the park.

4) DC Universe.

5) The park still looks clean ( I know Neal Thurman still walking around picking up leaves and trash).

Just thought I'd throw a few things out there.

^Tatsu ops have been overall better lately also. They have been running trying to beat the timer. Usually they won't check a few seats correctly and they will have to go back and check those seats, which delays time.. hopefully they will run 3 trains soon.

X2 has been MUCH better. They usually won't stack anymore!

Sure its nice that the park ads new thrill rides but they have to focus on keeping up the park. I would rather have them not get a new ride for one year and have them remodel the bathrooms and actually empty their trash cans and have at least one bathroom attendant in the bathroom at all times to ensure that the bathrooms are clean. I went to the park about a month ago and was washing my hands and the pipe underneath the sink was cracked and all of the water was running out onto the ground almost splashing on my shoes. Later on that day I went to another bathroom and it was FLOODED and there was no one cleaning it up or closing the bathroom.

In terms of efficiency, I will say that the X2 crew has stepped up and are doing a great job at getting trains out. I waited about 20-25 minutes this past Sunday and they were dispatching trains when the other train was coming through the transfer. This was being done consistently.

Problem is that this isn't the norm throughout the park.

3) Finally adding a thrilling "NON" coaster ride to the park.

One isn't enough though, what they really need for 2013 isn't a coaster but a skyscreamer, a giant discovery, a screamin swing and maybe an air-race.

Doesn't every park in the world need those flats?

Went to the park today for a couple of hours. I drove all the way up to Valencia to find out that there was no class where I go, so I decided to eat a breakfast at Denny's and get some rides in while I was in the area. I've got a few things to report on regarding the park.

First off, the Batman loading building smelled awful. It was bad enough to make me think I was going to catch a disease going through there.

For some odd reason, Scream and Colossus were closed today; in fact, the entire area was blocked off. I'm not sure if it had something to do with Lex Luthor construction or some major remodeling they wanted to get done before the Summer season.

Speaking of Lex Luthor, here is some construction pics:

The facade is looking swanky.

Construction on the tower.

No line for Riddler's!

I'll finish this update with geese.

Well, that didn't take long...

From the SFMM Facebook Page:

Six Flags Magic Mountain

Six Flags Magic Mountain is proud to be the Thrill Capital of the World with more coasters than any theme park on the planet! Check out who the GoBigCam caught this week.

Six Flags Magic Mountain is proud to be the Thrill Capital of the World with more coasters than any theme park on the planet!

I wonder if they're also equally proud of their:

- Upkeep on Bathrooms not being kept upWell, that didn't take long...

...among other things.

Like I posted in the CP thread, this is the perfect thing for SFMM to claim and market because they've really picked *xtreme* coasters as their sole focus.

And the majority of their clientele will LOVE this news and marketing.

Sure its nice that the park ads new thrill rides but they have to focus on keeping up the park. I would rather have them not get a new ride for one year and have them remodel the bathrooms and actually empty their trash cans and have at least one bathroom attendant in the bathroom at all times to ensure that the bathrooms are clean.

Yes, I wish they had done some pressure washing of the rides and loading stations during the off season. The main walkways look okay, but they could probably make a small fortune if they collected the plastic bottles and aluminum cans that are tossed to the sides of the queues and took them to a recycling center. Wherever there's a ceiling--like in the loading stations or the covered walkways leading to the loading stations--you're bound to see cobwebs and lots of dirt.

Even just holding up a broom and whacking down the cobwebs that way would make a big difference. It's depressing to ride the carousel and look up to see how the horse is moving up and down and see all the cobwebs up there. I wonder if anything can be done to get rid of all the gum on the ceiling of the tunnel at Jet Stream or the big black crossbeams on the lift hill at Tatsu. It's unfortunate that guests spit out their gum like that, but the park has to clean that up. I'm not trying to sound negative; I just want to see the park looking cleaner because I really do enjoy the rides.

First off, the Batman loading building smelled awful. It was bad enough to make me think I was going to catch a disease going through there.

I noticed that too when I went to the park on Monday. I assumed that it was BO because it was late afternoon and quite hot.

Well, that didn't take long...

From the SFMM Facebook Page:

Six Flags Magic Mountain

Six Flags Magic Mountain is proud to be the Thrill Capital of the World with more coasters than any theme park on the planet! Check out who the GoBigCam caught this week.

All I can say is if you got it flaunt it! Yea, Magic Mountain... Lex Luther will really put them ahead. I'm in Phoenix for vacation right now and no coasters.