TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Maybe they're retheming Superman to Bizarro, and have the cars run backwards as part of the theme (if the cars do end up going backwards)?

If I recall correctly Screamscape started that big rumor pot. I am crossing my fingers that this is true. Superman is a good ride but it could use more. I also hope they decide to expand the queue if they do this instead of putting a giant rope line running down the Summit.

The one thing I hope they work on is the emergency braking section. My cousin's friend has personally expericenced the E Stop and says that it was pretty rough.

The last thing I'm secretly praying for is either onboard or offboard audio coupled with special effects! Hey I can dream can't I. After all...the other Bizzarro remakes added effects.

That would be soooo super cool if on the top of supermans tower, there were holding breaks. youd be siiting there, straight up looking behind you like "HOLY CRAP were high, then it could randomly drop at any time... a higher tower would be cool too.

... in my dreams...

That would be cool... But i think thats a very very low chance of them doing that. CANT... WAIT... ANY... LONGER!!!! MUST... DESTROY... SUPERMAN... MYSELF!!! ARRRRGGGGG!!!!

I'm so glad I got to ride Terminator with the audio!! Sucks to see it didn't last. Thanks for a new update guys. Glad to see the park is looking spick and spam. I'm posting this from my iphone4 so I know what good quality pics/video this makes. Like Robb said however it's still a phone and is no replacement for a regular camera.

On a side note I have yet to be able to use the FaceTime feature. Now if Robb or anyone else with an iphone4 could take time out of their busy lives to help me try this feature out that would be amazing!!

P.S This update really makes me miss WCB.

I have found that most people who seem to love Viper almost exclusively ride in the front seat of the back two cars.

I've actually ridden it a few times over the past 12 month in other cars, and I'll be honest, it can really beat you up.

Yeah, those two seats, for whatever reason, have always been kind of the "magic Arrow seats", as though the rides were almost designed for those seats, but almost anywhere else, especially towards the front of the train on Viper, it can be quite a head basher.

--Robb

I remember you pointed this out in a discussion as to why some coasters are rough and why some are not. It was something about the way they are tralered or axled, not necessarily if there is a gap between the upstops and track.... or something like that. But I remember you saying that on most Arrow coasters if you don't want to get your brains bashed out you should sit in these seats. Actually, I'm glad that you mentioned it now because I'm visiting there soon and I totally forgot about that little secret. I was going to do my usual sit in the very last row thing, and if I did, I would have a gooey gooey brain mush mess, so thanks for bringing that up. My brain thanks you!

And as for one of the Superman captions, "hopefully they'll turn this thing around", that's really funny.

So the Freestyle Coke machine is in the Studio 6F store? Wasn't that just souvenirs before? Are they selling food now, or something? Can you get food from across the way, but get your drink there? Just seems like odd placement to me. Also, are there any one Freestyle Coke machines there, or coming? Too bad no free refills. You gotta at least sample a couple of different things, that's the point!

And BTW, where is the Wizard's Castle turret located? I've never seen that before!

And I really can't figure out what all the excitement about even the possibility of Superman going backwards. Are people actually giddy about having their necks and heads snap forward with a launch? Although I admit I always thought from day one that it would be cool for it to launch forward, and (somehow--haven't worked this part out) have the car pivot around at the top so that when you dropped back down, you'd be facing straight down.

Too bad no free refills. You gotta at least sample a couple of different things, that's the point!

A souvenir bottle comes with free refills all day on the day of purchase. The Studio 6F Coke machine sounds like a pretty cool way to take advantage of that.

It's been a while since we did a lap of the park and posted an update. In fact, I don't think we've posted any official SFMM updates since West Coast Bash! Today served to kill two birds with one stone...doing a SFMM update and testing out the camera on our new iPhone 4. Since we are heading out on the road next week for the Middle America tour we wanted to see how well the photos looked uploaded directly to Facebook and the videos looked uploaded directly to YouTube. So below is not only an update from Magic Mountain, but the results of our test!

Enjoy!

--Robb

Hey Robb,

Great update and the Iphone pix look great ! I wish I knew you guys were there yesterday. I'm here working in So Cal last week and this week, so I must go to "The Mountain" to play.

I got there near opening NOTE MAGIC MOUNTAIN IS THE ONLY 6 FLAGS PARK OPENING AT 10 NOT 10:30 ON SATURDAY. I was in New Jersey last week and Great Adventure opened at 10:30, as do most (to the best of my knowledge) 6 Flags parks. I nearly got there at opening. I got my rides in before 2:30 when it got crowded . I had hoped most folks were in Hurricane Harbor but no. Glad you guys had a good time, I did too. It should be interesting to see what "Magical Things" they'll do to Superman . Got to close now to get to the park at 10:30

How cool would it be if the park added a new flat ride next year!

Overall the park looks great. I haven't been since WCB and probably won't get back until early fall. So these updates are nice!

The park sure could use some new flats. After all, they've removed Free Fall, Sierra Twist, and Spin Out, A Ferris Wheel and more...

EDIT: 13000th post!

Edited by SoCalCoasters

Overall the park looks great. I haven't been since WCB and probably won't get back until early fall. So these updates are nice!

The park sure could use some new flats. After all, they've removed Free Fall, Sierra Twist, and Spin Out, A Ferris Wheel and more...

Six Flags Magic Mountain has never had a Ferris Wheel. The closest thing was the Intamin double arm wheel they took out in the early 80s. (or was it late 70s)

--Robb

Six Flags Magic Mountain has never had a Ferris Wheel. The closest thing was the Intamin double arm wheel they took out in the early 80s. (or was it late 70s)

--Robb

Sorry My Mistake...I believe they took out a ride with Wheel in its name.

"The closest thing was the Intamin double arm wheel they took out in the early 80s. (or was it late 70s)" (Robb)

One of the first things that Six Flags did upon purchasing the park in 1979 was to remove the Galaxy. That was done no later than 1980. The ride was located in the spot where Buccaneer and Swashbuckler are now, and used the same station. (Each of those rides was built on a former load/unload area for the wheel.) From what I recall, Galaxy was always troublesome. It opened with the park in 1971, but I can't recall riding it till about the second or third season because it was usually closed.

While it would be nice for SFMM to get a giant Ferris wheel (like the one at SFStL, for instance), the problem with them is that they're slow loading. That isn't the type of ride that SFMM needs.

Eric

Great update Robb!! The park has really changed over the past few years that I've been going their......The only thing I didn't like is when I visited the park last month I got stuck on Terminator for about 10-20 mins on the very top of the lift hill and they didnt even really care that we got stuck....There was no re-ride or a flashpass of some sort...That is my only disapointment the last time I went....

You know, an interactive dark ride up on the hill would be a pretty sweet addition as well......oh, please! please! please! (Shoot, would be a good use for the old skyride(Condor) loading platform!)...or anywhere in the park for that matter.....hmmm.....up in Katie's Corner or even that area close to the X entrance.....where the old Revolution queue is....