Sesame Place Discussion Thread

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SESAME PLACE® UNVEILS PLANS FOR FIRST WOODEN COASTER

One of the Largest New Attractions in Park History to debut Spring 2018

Langhorne, PA (September 20, 2017) –Sesame Place®, the nation’s only theme park based entirely on the award-winning show Sesame Street®, announced today its first wooden-steel hybrid coaster - Oscar’s Wacky TaxiTM - debuting Spring 2018. The new coaster is one of the largest new attractions in the park’s 37-year history and will feature a bright yellow, taxi cab-inspired train with everyone’s favorite grouch at the helm.

The new coaster, combining both wood and steel elements to create a smooth ride, will give pint-sized thrill-seekers and their families the opportunity to experience another exciting first at Sesame Place. Oscar’s Wacky TaxiTM will send riders soaring down an exhilarating first drop of 40 feet, traveling over 1,200 feet of track with exciting twists, turns, and plenty of airtime hills -- sure to delight even the grouchiest of riders. A 40” rider height requirement (with a supervising companion) or 46” height requirement for single riders will make this the perfect first coaster for many park guests.

Oscar’s Wacky Taxi™ will join Super Grover’s Vapor Trail® as the second roller coaster at the park. Super Grover’s Vapor Trail, which opened in 1998 as the park’s first mechanical ride, is celebrating its 20th birthday in 2018. The 14-acre park also features two popular themed lands – Elmo’s World which opened in 2006 and Cookie’s Monster Land which opened in 2014. A total of eleven dry rides, nine water attractions, five interactive play elements, the Sesame Street Neighborhood, three live daily character shows and The Neighborhood Street Party Parade bring the joy of everyone’s favorite Sesame Street friends to families.

“Oscar’s Wacky Taxi™ will bring a whole new level of excitement to Sesame Place in 2018,” said Bob Caruso, park president. “We’re constantly looking for ways to enhance our guest experience, and our first wooden roller coaster is an exciting and thrilling addition to the park.”

EDIT: I confirmed with the park - This is a Gravity Group coaster.

Edited by robbalvey

Ugh... I'm so torn on this place. It's nearby, we have a Season Pass to Busch / SeaWorld parks, I'll definitely drive by it from time to time and now they have two perfectly respectable looking coasters but it's f*cking Sesame Place and we're two grown a** adults so I've never been there.

I feel like now we just need to bite the bullet and go for it, then never speak of this again.

I'll definitely go now that they'll have this. Having a 4 yr old nephew will make it easier. Actually looks great for a kiddie coaster. Do we have any stats on it? GCI? Height, etc? Also wait - is the track going to be steel? This is suddenly weird. LOL!

edit: nevermind just saw the 40 feet.

Looks great! It’s always nice to see small parks expand with another large coaster. Even though SeaWorld just worked with GCI on Invadr, I have a feeling this is going to be a GG creation, mostly because they seem to “specialize” in these kiddie wooden coasters due to their train’s increased flexibility for the tight turns. But either way, this is a great addition!

Ugh... I'm so torn on this place. It's nearby, we have a Season Pass to Busch / SeaWorld parks, I'll definitely drive by it from time to time and now they have two perfectly respectable looking coasters but it's f*cking Sesame Place and we're two grown a** adults so I've never been there.

I feel like now we just need to bite the bullet and go for it, then never speak of this again.

If you've never been you should go! It's actually REALLY NICE little park! I actually don't think you'd feel that out of place to be honest.

Looks great! It’s always nice to see small parks expand with another large coaster. Even though SeaWorld just worked with GCI on Invadr, I have a feeling this is going to be a GG creation, mostly because they seem to “specialize” in these kiddie wooden coasters due to their train’s increased flexibility for the tight turns. But either way, this is a great addition!

Those stats seem to line up closely to Roar-o-saurus so I thought the same thing.

This looks like it could be surprisingly awesome. Getting some good Wooden Warrior vibes off of this one, or maybe an InvadR Jr.

Here's hoping my daughter gets up to that 40" minimum by next year, it looks like she'd love this one!

Plus: No beer jail!

Minus: No beer, period.

And the number of adult enthusiasts visiting the place next year has just shot up. Honestly they needed another coaster. Vapor Trail had a half hour wait (yes I went) during my visit.

It's still gonna be weird for solo enthusiasts. I expect a ton of awkward glances and staring at anyone without kids.

A 40” rider height requirement (with a supervising companion) or 46” height requirement for single riders will make this the perfect first coaster for many park guests.

46" for single riders seems a bit steep when similar coasters like Wooden Warrior and Coastersaurus have 42" restrictions, but at least it's offset by the 40" requirement w/ a companion. Should help make sure this ride is accessible to pretty much everyone in the park's targeted audience.

Definitely good to hear about the Gravity Group connection. I haven't been on many yet, but I've enjoyed what I've rode. If this thing is half as good as Wooden Warrior the kids and I will be happy campers indeed... and with it being only 40 feet tall, I might even be able to talk the wife into it!

And Michael, as a dad of little ones, when they're 40" to begin with you don't want them doing that much on their own anyway. 40" with companion is fantastic IMO.

If you've never been you should go! It's actually REALLY NICE little park! I actually don't think you'd feel that out of place to be honest.

That's great to hear! I'm sure we'll get there in the next year or so to check this thing out. It looks like a great little ride, it definitely has a "Wooden Warrior" vibe and we loved that thing.

That's great to hear! I'm sure we'll get there in the next year or so to check this thing out. It looks like a great little ride, it definitely has a "Wooden Warrior" vibe and we loved that thing.

Note - He's saying you're okay to go because at least you have a female with you! As a parent, I think I'd still be creeped out a bit seeing some single male dude wandering around riding rides at Sesame Place.

Note - He's saying you're okay to go because at least you have a female with you! As a parent, I think I'd still be creeped out a bit seeing some single male dude wandering around riding rides at Sesame Place.

Oh I figured, and I've already thought of asking Brit to wear something from the parenting magazine she works for to make it look like she's writing a piece on it or something. To be fair, she actually does write a piece on local family friendly theme parks each spring and I have managed to convince her to throw in some Easter eggs like listing "Moose on the Loose" as a can't miss ride at Darien Lake, warning parents that some children "May not be able to handle El Toro's greatness" at Great Adventure, specifying the exact location of the only acceptable Pirogi stand at Knoebels and telling everyone to essentially skip all of the local parks and drive 3 hours to Knoebels instead. I won't blow up her spot and link to her publication directly on here, but the article is on their website and goes out in their print publication every Spring so I guess technically we could invent a legitimate reason to go there.

It's still gonna be weird for solo enthusiasts. I expect a ton of awkward glances and staring at anyone without kids.

Well, I fit this category perfectly! I'm a solo enthusiasts, and after visiting Legoland FL for the first time this year, I found the atmosphere to be . . . enjoyable. I stayed from open to close and truly had a great time. Parks like Legoland and Sesame Place may be geared toward kids, but adults can have fun as well. But then again, I'm a big kid myself. I'm excited for this new addition and hope to visit this park some day.

and after visiting Legoland FL for the first time this year, I found the atmosphere to be . . . enjoyable. I stayed from open to close and truly had a great time. Parks like Legoland and Sesame Place may be geared toward kids, but adults can have fun as well.

Legoland is a bit different though. Lego produces products for all ages including adults. Sesame Street's core and really only demographic is smaller kids. From the Wikipedia article:

For the first time since the show debuted, the producers and a team of researchers analyzed Sesame Street's content and structure during a series of two-week-long workshops. They also studied how children's viewing habits had changed and become more sophisticated in thirty years. They found that although the show was produced for 3-to-5-year-olds, children began watching it at a younger age. As a result, the target age for Sesame Street shifted downward, from 4 years to 3 years.
Edited by robbalvey

Glad it really is a wooden coaster! The rumors seemed pretty strong, but I felt it best to be skeptical just in case. Now I'm thankful I never fit this park into a past trip.

Honesty, I'll probably like this park okay, considering I rode Sesame Street rides at SeaWorld San Diego...

I'm delighted to see this coaster go in, and I love the Oscar theme! "Scram!" He's always been one of my favorites on Sesame Street, although I'm happy when it's any of the old-school characters & not the dumbed-down modern Elmo, Baby Bear, etc.

Oops . . .

img_20160706_1000349.jpg