Sesame Place Discussion Thread

P.3 - Oscar's Wacky Taxi Wooden Coaster Announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Re: Sesame Place Discussion Thread

Postby bgtlover » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:39 am

I've seen rumors of a wooden coaster. I think it would work. Something a bit on the milder side from GCI similar to White Lightning or Invadr, but less intense.

In other news, I would like Sandstorm back from them. It's one of the few spinning type rides I can stand. I love it's replacement (Falcon's Fury), but with a lackluster line-up of flats as it already was, it was a shame to lose the only one I really liked before FF...lol
Coaster Count: 125
Top 12:
1-Steel Vengeance...2-Fury 325...3-Maverick...4-Millennium Force...5-Storm Chaser...6-Mako...
7-Diamondback...8-Kraken...9-Montu...10-Banshee...11-Afterburn...12-Cheetah Hunt

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby coneyislandchris » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:52 pm

bgtlover wrote:In other news, I would like Sandstorm back from them. It's one of the few spinning type rides I can stand. I love it's replacement (Falcon's Fury), but with a lackluster line-up of flats as it already was, it was a shame to lose the only one I really liked before FF...lol

Sesame Place is a stand-alone theme park located in Pennsylvania. I assume from what you wrote, you're thinking of the Sesame Street themed kiddie section at Busch Gardens Tampa?
That coaster dad [314] and that coaster kiddo [167]. Road trip buddies for life.
Dad's faves: Fury 325. Phantom's Revenge. Intimidator 305. El Toro. Skyrush.

Kiddo's faves: Apollo's Chariot. Wicked Cyclone. Twisted Timbers. Lightning Rod. Wild Eagle.

Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Postby CNYCoasterguy11 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:22 pm

coneyislandchris wrote:Sesame Place is a stand-alone theme park located in Pennsylvania. I assume from what you wrote, you're thinking of the Sesame Street themed kiddie section at Busch Gardens Tampa?

Actually Sesame Place is part of the SeaWorld/Busch Gardens chain. And the Honker Dinner Derby ride is the old Sandstorm ride from Busch Tampa.
COASTER COUNT:
TOTAL:130
STEEL:100
WOOD:30
PARKS:25

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby bgtlover » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:52 pm

^What they said.
They sent Sandstorm from BGT to Sesame Place in 2013 (opened in 2014 there as Honker Dinger Derby).
Sandstorm:
Honker Dinger Derby:
Coaster Count: 125
Top 12:
1-Steel Vengeance...2-Fury 325...3-Maverick...4-Millennium Force...5-Storm Chaser...6-Mako...
7-Diamondback...8-Kraken...9-Montu...10-Banshee...11-Afterburn...12-Cheetah Hunt

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby coneyislandchris » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:55 am

^ ^^ Ah, my bad, I wasn't aware of the history of Honker Dinger Derby. (Still my favorite name for a ride ever.) Carry on.
That coaster dad [314] and that coaster kiddo [167]. Road trip buddies for life.
Dad's faves: Fury 325. Phantom's Revenge. Intimidator 305. El Toro. Skyrush.

Kiddo's faves: Apollo's Chariot. Wicked Cyclone. Twisted Timbers. Lightning Rod. Wild Eagle.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby deguy123 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:11 am

I'm hoping the 2018 addition is a coaster as I still need the credit already there. I just couldn't justify the price for going to get the credit.

North East Trip 2011

LeviaTHON 2012

Scandi 2014

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:19 am

SESAME PLACE® UNVEILS PLANS FOR FIRST WOODEN COASTER
One of the Largest New Attractions in Park History to debut Spring 2018

Langhorne, PA (September 20, 2017) –Sesame Place®, the nation’s only theme park based entirely on the award-winning show Sesame Street®, announced today its first wooden-steel hybrid coaster - Oscar’s Wacky TaxiTM - debuting Spring 2018. The new coaster is one of the largest new attractions in the park’s 37-year history and will feature a bright yellow, taxi cab-inspired train with everyone’s favorite grouch at the helm.

The new coaster, combining both wood and steel elements to create a smooth ride, will give pint-sized thrill-seekers and their families the opportunity to experience another exciting first at Sesame Place. Oscar’s Wacky TaxiTM will send riders soaring down an exhilarating first drop of 40 feet, traveling over 1,200 feet of track with exciting twists, turns, and plenty of airtime hills -- sure to delight even the grouchiest of riders. A 40” rider height requirement (with a supervising companion) or 46” height requirement for single riders will make this the perfect first coaster for many park guests.

Oscar’s Wacky Taxi™ will join Super Grover’s Vapor Trail® as the second roller coaster at the park. Super Grover’s Vapor Trail, which opened in 1998 as the park’s first mechanical ride, is celebrating its 20th birthday in 2018. The 14-acre park also features two popular themed lands – Elmo’s World which opened in 2006 and Cookie’s Monster Land which opened in 2014. A total of eleven dry rides, nine water attractions, five interactive play elements, the Sesame Street Neighborhood, three live daily character shows and The Neighborhood Street Party Parade bring the joy of everyone’s favorite Sesame Street friends to families.

“Oscar’s Wacky Taxi™ will bring a whole new level of excitement to Sesame Place in 2018,” said Bob Caruso, park president. “We’re constantly looking for ways to enhance our guest experience, and our first wooden roller coaster is an exciting and thrilling addition to the park.”

EDIT: I confirmed with the park - This is a Gravity Group coaster.
Last edited by robbalvey on Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:26 am.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:23 am

Ugh... I'm so torn on this place. It's nearby, we have a Season Pass to Busch / SeaWorld parks, I'll definitely drive by it from time to time and now they have two perfectly respectable looking coasters but it's f*cking Sesame Place and we're two grown a** adults so I've never been there.

I feel like now we just need to bite the bullet and go for it, then never speak of this again. :lol:

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:30 am

I'll definitely go now that they'll have this. Having a 4 yr old nephew will make it easier. Actually looks great for a kiddie coaster. Do we have any stats on it? GCI? Height, etc? Also wait - is the track going to be steel? This is suddenly weird. LOL!

edit: nevermind just saw the 40 feet. :oops:

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:39 am

And the number of adult enthusiasts visiting the place next year has just shot up. Honestly they needed another coaster. Vapor Trail had a half hour wait (yes I went) during my visit.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus
Most Recent Trip Reports- Lake Winnepesaukah & Alabama Splash Adventure

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!