Europe 2016 - Robb & Elissa Traveling Around Riding Stuff

P. 32- Final Report! Cruise, Greece, Rome & Two Italy Parks!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Harry Potter is a sick donkey.

Re: Europe 2016 - Robb & Elissa Traveling Around Riding Stuf

Postby Masquerade » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:06 pm

robbalvey wrote:Image

Freakin' Germany, man...

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby Johnlloyd » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:07 pm

I'm greatly enjoying your European Trip Report so far! I look forward to seeing more of your photos! I hope to visit Europe and explore the amusement parks there one day! Thanks for sharing these great photos and videos, Robb! :)
Last edited by Johnlloyd on Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:08 pm.
Canada's Wonderland is my home park!

Check out my amusement park blog here!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby viking86 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:07 pm

Hmmm flights to Hamburg are quite cheap! Might have to head down there when I have vacation time in August and check out Hansa Park!

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby FirstDropJay » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:36 pm

Love all the updates!
You gotta enjoy that first drop, you know.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:12 pm

You can follow our trip LIVE on Twitter: https://twitter.com/ThemeParkReview

Today we are hanging out at Movie Park Germany! I just want to say something real quick about this park - I know it gets a lot of crap from the European coaster and theme park groups, but I have to say this - Yes, they don't have the best collection of roller coasters, but IMO Van Helsing was a GREAT start to turning this park around, I'm hoping the next coaster coming in 2017 will continue that trend, and realistically, if this park gets 1 or 2 more GOOD rides over the next few years, I personally think it's better than a lot of the parks in the USA that are similar in style.

I'm pretty sure @Movie_Park Germany's stand-up drop tower is in the top ten world's most terrifying rides!

Van Helsing really is a great ride! Super fun and well themed! If this ride was at either of the Universal parks in the US, it would be a stand-out ride at both parks. It's certainly better than most of the "Here, put on some 3-D glasses and let's shake you around a bit" rides. I'd love to see this exact ride comes to the States!

Hanging out in the kids area! (And not being creepy, we actually have kids!)

Of course we may or may not have had some adults playing around in the kiddie area! ;)

Hey! Look what we found here @Movie_Park Germany!

Yes, we rode! Yes the girls survived! :)

Kristen was able to ride all the coasters @Movie_Park but Van Helsing was by far her favorite! 10+ times!

The Speedy Pass worked GREAT @Movie_Park! I love that it's good on so many different rides!

While different than other European parks, @Movie_Park still looks nicer than a lot of similar style US parks.

Those of you who remember the Son of Beast trains may recognize the trains on Bandit!

Check out the first drop on Bandit!

Mystery River is actually a pretty cool themed Rapids ride! And you don't get that wet!

We had lights on/lights off ERT on Van Helsing @Movie_Park Germany! Was a huge hit with the group! Great ride!

Some of the themed elements in @Movie_Park Germany's Van Helsing coaster.

Next year, the entrance of @Movie_Park Germany will look very different with a new coaster behind it!

Seriously, though, let's just break this park down a bit. On the plus side they have:

- A couple of good dark rides (Mystery River, Ice Age, Alien Encounter)
- A good kids area (really, all three of the coasters and the log flume in this area are decent!)
- A really REALLY good drop tower!
- A decent "family" area that has the Disk-O Coaster and a few other flats.
- A good themed coaster (Van Helsing)

What they are missing is one or two more "signature" coasters/attractions. I'm not gonna lie, Bandit is one of the worst woodies I've been on and the SLC is just...well, "not good." But that doesn't mean this park doesn't have a TON of potential, and I really think it does and I look forward to seeing them grow over the years.

You can follow our trip LIVE on Twitter: https://twitter.com/ThemeParkReview
Last edited by robbalvey on Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:00 pm.

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby FirstDropJay » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:48 pm

Very nice TR on Movie Park. I've visited the park at least once a year since it's opening in '96 and while it has never been a GREAT park, it really seems like they're finally heading into the right direction with the addition of rides like Van Helsing and Lost Temple (+ the new coaster next year).
Have fun at Phantasialand tomorrow!
You gotta enjoy that first drop, you know.

Mr. October

Postby JimmyBo » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:37 pm

Finally catching up on all these reports and it's great to see that you guys are having a blast at these parks. Bummed that Heide Park has gone downhill but Potts Park looks absolutely amazing. I remember Klotten and how awesome that place was and Potts looks even better! Toverland looks like it's expanded a ton outside. Is it open year round and do they close some of the attractions outside if it's too cold? The videos you have posted so far are great and this report really brings back the feel of the "old" TPR before the tours, which is a good thing!

I showed my 4 year old a video of the Fireworks at Disney Paris and he wants to go there now. I told him to get a job.

So far, what has been the most surprising thing of the trip?

Jimmy "Waiting for the kiddos to get older to do some overseas trips" Bo
Do not believe this post!

90% of the time, I am sarcastic all the time...it's science!

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby RCT3Bross » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:44 pm

Movie Park and Toverland are some of the best "Small" themeparks in this part of Europe in my opinion. Both harbor potential and I hope the new coaster will set this park on the map for many coaster enthusiast.
Roller Coaster Traveler 3 Bross Parks of 2017: Efteling, Movie Park, Parque Warner Madrid, PortAventura, Skyline park, Disneyland Paris, Parc Asterix, Phantasialand.
2017 Rides: Star Trek (Movie park), Red Force (Ferrari land), Sky Dragster (Skyline), Pégase Express (Parc Asterix).

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby xVicesAndVirtues » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:48 pm

A little late to comment on it, but I could not agree more about Heide Park.

I visited Germany at the end of April/early May and was REALLY looking forward to the park from the great things I've heard in the past, but I definitely had a more of a Six Flags Day.

I was there alone and also was disappointed by the non-use of the single rider queues. What's more, I thought that Flug der Damonen was super rough in comparison to recent rides I've had on Gatekeeper, Wild Eagle, etc. Colossos also running pretty rough just made me feel like they're neglecting to effectively maintain these rides, which is really a shame because they're otherwise really, really great rides. Colossos was running one train at a 60-90 minute wait for the first 1/2 of the day, then when they added a second, they'd consistently stack the trains for a minute or more after the second train had arrived again, which seemed completely unacceptable since Colossos has a slow chain lift system followed by a really long ride. The employees didn't seem to give a crap at all. Also, all of the non-junk food locations were closed, so the only choices were deep fried crap or cheap frozen pizza. I really hope they can get it together in the future.

Otherwise, I'm absolutely loving all the photos and detail, makes me wish I'd done even more parks when I was in Europe!

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby julioot » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:32 am

Totally agree with you on movie park, I reallly think they are on the right track now. I think the reason it gets more shit than it deserves is because we can all still remember the goog old movie world days.

Oh and bandit is horrible, and will remain horrible. Time to burn it to the ground or have RMC have their way with it.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!