Photo TR: Knott's, DL, and DCA in 14 Hours + Joshua Tree/LA

Knott's/DCA/DL/JTree/LA/Santa Monica + Recs for your LA trip
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Re: Photo TR: Knott's, Disneyland, and DCA in 14 Hours

Postby ThemeParkJunkie51290 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:20 pm

Beautiful landscape! =)
ROLLER COASTERS FEAR ME BECAUSE I SHOW NO MERCY!

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:38 am

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:Very cool. I'm a fan of U2 and national parks, so I do hope to make it out to Joshua Tree one of these days. Looks really great.

Neither I nor my friends listen to U2, but we figured we should play one of their songs as we were climbing and Elevation suited the climb nicely =)

Canobie Coaster wrote:Great report! Just getting caught up, but I've never heard of Joshua Tree Park, but it sure looks nice.

I'm glad the Space Mountain single rider line is fast and efficient. Is the line just through the exit or is it as funky as Indiana Jones for the single rider? I'm definitely going to be utilizing that on my next visit.

Thanks! It definitely took me a couple attempts to find it before I bumped into a cast member that helped lead the way. It's the handicap entrance, I believe. For sure utilize it. You wait in line and they send you down in groups of 5-8, and I never waited more than 10 minutes when the regular line was approaching 80 minutes.
Chi-livin. @adultswim @cartoonnetwork | World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd.
Snaps: photoboothezizi

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby The Great Zo » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:45 am

PKI Jizzman wrote:Image

This looks like fun. :wtf:

Lots of interesting scenery, unlike anything I've really been through anywhere.

Jotting down a note about Porto's, too.
-- Andy

Postby PKI Jizzman » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:48 am

AlllllrrrrrIIIiiiiiIIIiiiight! We've made it to the final installment! I'll make it quick.

Driving back from JTree to LA, we stopped at an In'n'Out once we were in city limits to see what the buzz is about.

Yeah, the fries are a goddamn shame compared to the accompanying burger. Don't waste your money. If you're not knowledgeable about your fries (we take fresh cut fries seriously in Chicago) - potatoes are very starchy, so you need to fry them twice to get a nice golden brown crispy yet fluffy on the inside. In'n'Out only does a single fry, leaving the potatoes limp, soggy, and bland. I heard you can get them well done but that's not the point, why are you serving them as is to millions of people. Fooled me once. Burger was good -fresh toppings (I got grilled onions + pickles), nice bun, good patties. It's right up there with a Shake Shack or Smashburger - and even just as expensive/cheaper than a McDonald's premium burger combo.

TLDR - yeah it's a great fast casual burger, but will not compete with the likes of your favorite pub burger or upscale burger; especially if you favor bacon on your burger or guac/jalapenos.

We had one task - drop Mark at the airport, shed the rental car so we didn't have to worry about parking or driving. I was getting flashbacks to Andrew's (ytterbiumanalyst) moment in Philly as we were getting gas that accidentally happened to be in Inglewood and not 5 minutes in the gas station I saw:
1) drug deal
2) shop lifting

I never felt in danger but it was hilarious watching the teen employee recognize this couple that seemed to frequently pocket whatever they wanted and drop off drugs in the bathroom for someone to pick up :lol:

After those shenanigans, we walked up and down Sunset blvd to see some record shops, comic shops, and a recommended happy hour + city view. Mondial Hotel's bar provided a cool space with a pool and view, but it also came with the most cliche LA people we've met.
https://sunsettrocadero.com/ For half off apps and drinks for HH

"You went to Joshua Tree???? It's just desert right?"
"Joshua Tree??? What happens if your phone died while you were hiking and you got lost?"
"What happens if the sun went down and you couldn't get any service to find the road?????"

Well, then we'd be pretty bad at planning. But they kept stammering and couldn't get over the fact that we 'risked our lives to see some plants and rocks'. I'm glad I got to meet the stereotypical LA airheads. :lmao:

After a couple drinks we headed over to Santa Monica area to drop our stuff off. We heard a lot about the Bungalow, both good and bad and decided to check it out before our West Side Comedy show. Cool space, decent drinks, not very crowded on a Monday night; which was a good thing.
http://www.thebungalow.com/

West Side Comedy was also fantastic putting 3 improv teams against each other. I prefer stand up and sketch to improv, but when improv is good it's really good. When it's bad, it's really bad. The first team bombed (and were still arguing with each other in the alley after the show let out :lol: ) and the other 2 were A+. http://www.westsidecomedy.com/

We called it an early night and got up early to walk up and down the beach all morning, and of course went to Santa Monica Pier when it opened.

West Coaster - this is as about as low as I'll go for a credit. It's a tame, short family coaster. What's hilarious is you're so deep in those Morgan trains kids can't even see over the seat in front of them :lol: 10 dollars gets you the credit.

We went up and down Abbott Kinney to check out shops/eats.

URTH Caffe! https://www.urthcaffe.com/
Holy shit the best coffee I've had. I like coffee, don't love it but I had espresso drinks and black coffee that was immaculate. I'm a huge fan of Hispanic food and the tamales here were legit. I love the mantra of this place - serving food/drinks with ingredients as close to how they're found in the wild as possible. Example - olives have pits, etc.

Salt + Straw had great ice cream https://saltandstraw.com/la-locations/

Hope this helps out anyone looking for ideas/reccs in LA! That's it for this trip! See you next month!
-Zach
20180219_144320.jpg
#1 grilled + pickle. Great burger, eff you fries.
20180219_165812.jpg
A look down the hill from Sunset BLVD
20180219_165915.jpg
This looks cool, let's check it out
20180219_170005.jpg
It's weird, it's frustrating, it's magical, it's got everything, and it's full of opportunities
20180219_175341.jpg
Chillin' like a star
20180219_190915.jpg
This looks familiar...
20180219_213223.jpg
Drinks at the Bungalow
20180219_220921.jpg
If I'm not at a park, I'm usually at a comedy show or music act
20180220_085931.jpg
Shred r die broh
20180220_125727.jpg
It's a perfect day for a coaster on the beach
20180220_130809.jpg
Too cold for the ocean, though
20180220_131428.jpg
$10, cha ching. You get to go around twice.
20180220_151718.jpg
Chocolatier's Coney Island special at Salt & Straw on Abbott Kinney
20180220_153305.jpg
Space inspiration in LA.
Chi-livin. @adultswim @cartoonnetwork | World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Photo TR: Knott's, DL, and DCA in 14 Hours + Joshua Tree

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:46 pm

Ha, very nice shoutout to my cluelessness and general dumbassery last year. Looks like you had a great time in LA and got to do a lot in just a few days. West Coaster's not great, but I LOVED Santa Monica Pier. Actually only rode the coaster and the Ferris wheel then just walked the pier and soaked in the music and atmosphere the rest of the night. It's a really great place in spite of not having a great coaster.

I liked In 'n' Out's burger too, very good for fast food. I didn't think the fries were too bad myself, but then again, you come from a real food town, and I come from the home of cashew chicken. :lol:
Top Wood: 1. The Outlaw Run 2. The Phoenix 3. The El Toro 4. The Voyage 5. The Twister
Top Steel: 1. The Millennium Force 2. The Skyrush 3. The Magnum XL-200 4. The Diamondback 5. The Maverick
Top Parks: 1. The Disneyland 2. The Dollywood 3. The Silver Dollar City 4. The Knoebels 5. The Holiday World

Postby PKI Jizzman » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:14 pm

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:Ha, very nice shoutout to my cluelessness and general dumbassery last year. Looks like you had a great time in LA and got to do a lot in just a few days. West Coaster's not great, but I LOVED Santa Monica Pier. Actually only rode the coaster and the Ferris wheel then just walked the pier and soaked in the music and atmosphere the rest of the night. It's a really great place in spite of not having a great coaster.

I liked In 'n' Out's burger too, very good for fast food. I didn't think the fries were too bad myself, but then again, you come from a real food town, and I come from the home of cashew chicken. :lol:

Cashew chicken is delicious! Haha. Everyone likes their fries a bit different so it's subjective.

I totally forgot to mention that I rode the (Moser? ) drop/bouncy tower and it was surprisingly great!

The pier does have a great collection of quirky street performers and musicians.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:21 pm

Yeah - I agree that the burger looks great and the fries look like total sh%t.

I'm with you on the fresh cut fries or nothing at all. My faves are the Belgian where you take them out of the fryer for two minutes after cooking and then fry them for two more minutes after that. A third fry would really get them crisp, I'll bet.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby SoCalJasonland » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:15 pm

I agree In-N-Out has good burgers, but horrible fries. I personally think The Hat or The Habit are better choices. I also have a Portillo's approx 5 miles from me, and they have good food :-) You probably know that though.

Los Angeles is a bit strange. Orange County and inland empire have a lot of people that like to get out to the desert with their toys, sand rails, motorbikes, and such. In Los Angeles, they think its cool to pretend like they have never heard of a California City located east of the coast. They just look at you like you are poor, and sorry you have to travel inland.

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:45 am

Awesome report. Love the shots from Joshua Tree. I really need to get to L.A. I have two lifelong friends that (now with their son) have lived in Venice Beach for years and anytime I talk to them invite me out to visit. It's getting closer to the top of my list. Thanks for sharing!

Postby PKI Jizzman » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:44 am

SoCalJasonland wrote:I agree In-N-Out has good burgers, but horrible fries. I personally think The Hat or The Habit are better choices. I also have a Portillo's approx 5 miles from me, and they have good food :-) You probably know that though.

Los Angeles is a bit strange. Orange County and inland empire have a lot of people that like to get out to the desert with their toys, sand rails, motorbikes, and such. In Los Angeles, they think its cool to pretend like they have never heard of a California City located east of the coast. They just look at you like you are poor, and sorry you have to travel inland.

I was so close to the Habit but we weren't able to fit it in. Portillo's is great! I've stopped there in the city after a flight and seen people that were on my flight in line :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!