TPR Coaster Poll Poll - IMPORTANT QUESTION PLEASE READ!!!

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!

What should this year's poll be called?

50%
50%

Total votes : 70

Site Admin

TPR Coaster Poll Poll - IMPORTANT QUESTION PLEASE READ!!!

Postby robbalvey » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:28 pm

PLEASE READ THIS PAGE BEFORE YOU VOTE!!!

We need your input on something! The TPR Coaster Poll will always be held in the early part of the current year, but rank LAST YEARS coasters and riding experience.

So what should the TPR Coaster Poll be referred to?

The 2018 TPR Coaster Poll or
The 2019 TPR Coaster Poll?

Should the title reflect the year that the poll is conducted and the awards are given or should the year reflect the time frame in which the data is based on?

Let me give you two examples:

Screen Shot 2019-04-10 at 8.22.37 PM.png

The Oscars are considered the "2019 Oscars" but they reflect the films of 2018.

Screen Shot 2019-04-10 at 8.22.56 PM.png

The TEA Theme Park Attractions report came out in 2018, but it's called the 2017 report since that is the year the data is based on.

Either way there are pros and cons where no matter which we choose could be a little confusing.

But which would you prefer?

Please take our TPR Coaster Poll Poll and also comment below why you chose what you did!

Thank you! This helps quite a lot!
Last edited by robbalvey on Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:12 pm.

I teach at the school of donkey!

Re: TPR Coaster Poll Poll - IMPORTANT QUESTION PLEASE READ!!

Postby jlp94 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:35 pm

I think since the last one was called the 2017 poll and only included coasters through 2017, this one should be the 2018 one. Also think back to polls like the Mitch Hawker polls; those results came out a year later (early in the next year) but were still named after the past year, if that makes sense.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:36 pm

jlp94 wrote:I think since the last one was called the 2017 poll and only included coasters through 2017, this one should be the 2018 one. Also think back to polls like the Mitch Hawker polls; those results came out a year later (early in the next year) but were still named after the past year, if that makes sense.

We are pretending that the 2017 poll didn't exist, though since that was a "beta test." We want to think about this moving forward. So what is the best option for the years to come. Appreciate the feedback!

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby KI Kidd » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:39 pm

I like keeping things consistent and 2018 follows the 'tradition' (for lack of a better term) of these types of polls. Plus a large portion of the ride experiences being judged are from 2018.

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby Joe Schwartz » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:42 pm

It should be the 2019 poll, because it's conducted in 2019, and there's no ambiguity that it's the most current poll.

If it were rating ONLY coasters that were introduced in 2018, then you'd be justified in calling it the "Best of 2018 Poll", but that's not what it is.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:50 pm

Joe Schwartz wrote:It should be the 2019 poll, because it's conducted in 2019, and there's no ambiguity that it's the most current poll.

If it were rating ONLY coasters that were introduced in 2018, then you'd be justified in calling it the "Best of 2018 Poll", but that's not what it is.

I don't disagree with you (and secretly side with you on this if I was forced to choose) but here's my Devil's Advocate rebuttal...

Had we called the 2017 poll the 2018 poll and people who searched for the results and found them towards the end of 2018, people would have instantly said "Where's Steel Vengeance?" (Because people are idiots and don't read.) So we would have kept explaining that the results were for coasters ridden during the 2017 calendar year and don't include the coasters that opened in 2018.

But that also being said, people who searched and found the poll at the end of 2018 might have thought the poll was not the current one, which it was.

THIS IS WHY I'M SO CONFLICTED!!! :lol:

Honestly, I'm ok with either title because I feel they are equally as potentially confusing but I just wanted to get everyone else's input.
Last edited by robbalvey on Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:51 pm.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:08 pm

If it has to be a year, I vote 2019. You will always run the risk of people having no idea when the poll was taken. You can of course tell them when it was taken, but that still doesn't mean they will know.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Moose » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:10 pm

It’ll be more marketable and more likely to be quoted in media or used by parks.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:12 pm

Moose wrote:2019. It’ll be more marketable and more likely to be quoted in media or used by parks.

Probably my #1 reason for siding with 2019 if I had to choose. Media may not pick up "2018 poll" because they might think it's last years results.

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby bill_s » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:57 pm

Considering it's in the first half of the year makes it less gray area. Also 2019 hasn't even started for a lot of people, park-wise.

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!