Knoebels Discussion Thread

Pg 415: 2019 flat ride announced Tumbling Timbers
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Bonafide Donkey Expert

Re: Knoebels Discussion Thread

Postby anonymouscactus » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:13 am

"We stayed at the Super 8 Danville off of I-80 and it was super worth it."

I don't know why I found that so funny. I guess I'm just picturing a really cheesy commercial... (I have nothing else to add and know nothing about this hotel :-P)

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:49 am

Per the Daily Item, Knoebels is replacing Over the Top with Tumbling Timbers.

ELYSBURG — A ride that debuted briefly last year at Knoebels Amusement Resort will not return for the park's 93rd season, but visitors will still have a new family-friendly ride to experience.

5c768e09cde62.image.jpg

The troublesome "Over the Top" was removed from the park in the off-season, but park officials plan to debut a 16-passenger family ride called "Tumbling Timbers" to take its place. Over the Top was set to debut in May 2017, but problems with the programming delayed the ride until 2018, but even then it was barely open to the public.

"We experienced two years of limited operation," said Knoebels spokesperson Stacy Ososkie. "We wanted to provide a consistent operation, and it isn't the type of project we wanted to work at for seven years like the Flying Turns. We thought we would be better off putting something there that is more reliable."

When Knoebels purchased Over the Top, it was only the second ride of its kind ever created by ride manufacturer, SBF-VISA, based out of Italy; the floor model at the industry expo in Orlando was the only other one at the time. It shared some characteristics of a former ride called the Flying Cages, parts of which can be seen in the Knoebels History Museum. That ride operated at Knoebels from 1964 until the park’s Handstamp Building was constructed in 1986.

A rider in the old ride was challenged to shift their weight back and forth inside the cage, while standing, in an attempt to make the cage go ‘over the top.’

Riders would not have been tasked with propelling Over the Top, but rather software was designed to control its movement. However, the software never worked properly, resulting in inconsistent cycle length. It was shipped back to Italy for readjustments and returned in 2018 to limited operation, Ososkie said.

Ososkie said they worked with the ride manufacturer to replace Over the Top. Tumbling Timbers is scheduled for a late spring or early summer opening.

“Everything about Tumbling Timbers ‘just fits,’” said Brian Knoebel, fourth generation co-owner of Knoebels. “Yes, it perfectly fits in the available space, but it’s also a great addition to the ride lineup in that area. The woodland theming ties in with the groves found throughout the park, and the history of the property as a sawmill.”

Tumbling Timbers has a rotating platform with four four-passenger cars, which also spin. A rider must be 36 inches tall to ride with an adult and 48 inches tall to ride alone.

Additionally, Knoebels completely refurbished the Italian Trapeze, installed new LED lighting packages for the StratosFear and the Ribbit and replaced the Downdraft, which has been a staple of the park since 2001.

“A Facebook announcement of Downdraft’s departure made it evident many guests just weren’t ready to say goodbye to the ride,” said Ososkie. “It’s safe to say we weren’t either. We’re excited to announce that another generation of guests will be able to enjoy the thrill of swooping 40 feet in the air on a shiny, new Downdraft.”

Opening weekend for Knoebels is April 27-28, which will feature a BOGO ride-all-day pass special.

Link
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Rainbow MagicLand & Gardaland

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Location: I may live in the Carolinas, but my heart is still in Tampa

Postby Kw6sTheatee » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:09 am

I think it would be awesome if they themed the back area of the park to a lumber mill, because the real thing is just up the hill that Phoenix is at the base of. Also a GCI that goes up the mountain would be a dream come true! The two are only 26 minutes away, please make it happen! :b
1. The Voyage 2. Intimidator 305 3. Maverick 4. Skyrush 5. Mindbender (Galaxyland) 6. Fury 325 7. Kumba 8. Goliath (Georgia) 9. The Beast 10. Phoenix
I’ve ridden 139 Coasters, and have been a coaster enthusiast since 2013.

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby jlp94 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:22 pm

Love the Kozmo statue on top! What a cute little ride

Postby prozach626 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:07 am

Kw6sTheatee wrote:I think it would be awesome if they themed the back area of the park to a lumber mill, because the real thing is just up the hill that Phoenix is at the base of. Also a GCI that goes up the mountain would be a dream come true! The two are only 26 minutes away, please make it happen! :b

Knoebels doesn't really have themed areas. They don't really need themed areas. You can buy vanilla lattes out of a giant loaf of bread. You can crash boats under a purple roller coaster named after a bear. You're wanting to change the dynamics of the entire park. I think you're in the wrong place. I can help.

Here you are, sir. Eat your heart out:
https://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=39458

Postby cal1br3tto » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:44 pm

Habreno wrote:
Fascination is very much a game of skill. Having won well over my fair share of tickets on it the best thing I can say is to simply understand how the ball will act in certain conditions and be able to aim for general areas on the board. It is difficult to aim for a specific hole outside a handful of them but with practice you should be able to comprehend the physics behind the chaos that is the wonderful game of Fascination.

Well, that's the first I've heard of this. I've always understood that it's basically completely random. Aside from blatant cheating, the only rules I've noticed (which I know doesn't prove they provide an advantage, but I'd suspect so) are "no bank shots" and to not put your hand under the glass when rolling. Then again, I'm no expert; just another person who sometimes gets carried away playing. :p

I'd definitely ride Tumbling Timbers, the infamous spinning kiddie coaster reimagined as a flat ride!
114 wood+512 steel=626 | Steel Vengeance | Boulder Dash | Twisted Timbers | Coaster | X2 | Twisted Colossus | Storm Chaser | Phoenix | Maverick | Twisted Cyclone | Iron Rattler | Voyage | Kawasemi | El Toro | New Texas Giant

Postby Kw6sTheatee » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:18 am

prozach626 wrote:
Kw6sTheatee wrote:I think it would be awesome if they themed the back area of the park to a lumber mill, because the real thing is just up the hill that Phoenix is at the base of. Also a GCI that goes up the mountain would be a dream come true! The two are only 26 minutes away, please make it happen! :b

Knoebels doesn't really have themed areas. They don't really need themed areas. You can buy vanilla lattes out of a giant loaf of bread. You can crash boats under a purple roller coaster named after a bear. You're wanting to change the dynamics of the entire park. I think you're in the wrong place. I can help.

Here you are, sir. Eat your heart out:
https://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=39458

Thanks, but Knoebels is my favorite park that I’ve ever been to. I get it’s out of their dynamic, but why not at least theme some of the back bit where their lumber facility is just up the hillside from Phoenix?
1. The Voyage 2. Intimidator 305 3. Maverick 4. Skyrush 5. Mindbender (Galaxyland) 6. Fury 325 7. Kumba 8. Goliath (Georgia) 9. The Beast 10. Phoenix

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:43 am

Kw6sTheatee wrote:I get it’s out of their dynamic, but...

...why not at least theme some of the back bit where their lumber facility is just up the hillside from Phoenix?

You answered your own question before you asked it. It's not what they do, with the exception of a few individual attractions such as Black Diamond. As a former local who visited several times a year every year since childhood, I have never cared.
Last edited by A.J. on Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:47 am.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Postby Kw6sTheatee » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:47 am

But still I can dream of the mountainside GCI... right?

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby JG-77 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:59 am

I mean, there's nothing wrong with dreaming. I often dream of a launched giga T-Rex at SFA...
1. El Toro :airtime: 2. El Toro :airtimer: 3. El Toro :airtime: 4. El Toro :airtimer: --- I'm not good at ranking...

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!