So what were the best new coasters of 2014?

Now that the season is over...discuss!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

So what were the best new coasters of 2014?

Postby robbalvey » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:27 pm

We talked about what we thought the best new coaster would be BEFORE the summer, but now that it's over, what are your thoughts now that it's over?

Here's a few of the new coasters that opened in 2014. What were your favorites and feel free to mention any that I left off of here.

Banshee

Seven Dwarfs Mine Train

Goliath

El Loco

Lightning Run

Medusa Steel Coaster

Firechaser Express

Roar-O-Saurus

Sky Scream

Helix

Thunderbolt

POST YOUR THOUGHTS!
Last edited by robbalvey on Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:47 pm.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Re: So what was the best new coaster of 2014?

Postby thesman » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:30 pm

My top 3 would have to be Fire Chaser Express, Lightning Run and Helix. It would be hard to pick one. They also seem like the most advertised coasters of the year.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby PVA62 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:39 pm

I only got to ride Banshee but I really wish I had gone to KK for Lightning Run. It's the top on my list to ride as far as 2014 rides followed by El Loco and Helix.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Re: So what were the best new coasters of 2014?

Postby GwaziBSRider1 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:52 pm

I've ridden Banshee, Thunderbolt, and FireChaser Express. Banshee was the hands down favorite for me. Thunderbolt and FCE both were surprisingly good to me.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby VF15 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:54 pm

Only rode Goliath, so that would be my favorite, but I think Banshee, Helix, Lightning Run, and Medusa also look like real winners. Hopefully I can ride those one of these days.

MUST BUY RMC MERCHANDISE!!!!

Postby gerstlaueringvar » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:03 pm

The new coasters I rode this year aren't on the list. They are Parrot Coaster, knock-off SkyLoop, Walrus Splash and Polar Explorer. Among them, I think my favorite is Parrot Coaster and Polar Explorer.

For all the coasters that opened this year, I think Medusa is the best one followed by Lightning Run, Helix, Goliath, Banshee, Roar O Saurus, El Lovo, FireChaser Express, Sky Scream and Thunderbolt.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby cal1br3tto » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:10 pm

Thoughts and rough ranking...

1. Lightning Run: My first ride was underwhelming, but as with several other favorites, that quickly became forgivable and forgotten. Quickly, it revealed its interesting and surprising array of forces and direction changes. The ending bunny hops always seemed to come precariously close to throwing me out of the train. Overall it reminded me of Phantom's Revenge, a crazier version of the other Morgan hypers, and Skyrush.

2. Banshee: This definitely earned its surprising quantity of glowing reviews. Long, forceful, not totally predictable, and while it lacks the terrain-hugging layout that some hoped for, the setting is enjoyable.

3. Goliath: My first ride was my best, and sadly, the only one that really did it for me. There's some RMC airtime, some interesting hangtime, and an unexpected twist or two, but overall this was far from phenomenal. I think my opinion could benefit from marathon rides, but the few I had scattered throughout the day did not improve upon one another.

4. El Loco: One of the ultimate compact coaster designs, and a winner for the park. It has the fun forces and quirky layout that I had learned to expect from Steel Hawg, with the added benefit of comfortable lap bar trains. Plus, I love the setting and its location in an unexpectedly fun park considering the relative dearth of worthwhile rides.

5. Thunderbolt: Look, I ranked it dead last. Can I get away without sharing my opinion? Isn't that enough for you? :angel:
114 wood+512 steel=626 | Steel Vengeance | Boulder Dash | Twisted Timbers | Coaster | X2 | Twisted Colossus | Storm Chaser | Phoenix | Maverick | Twisted Cyclone | Iron Rattler | Voyage | Kawasemi | El Toro | New Texas Giant

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby azza29 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:20 pm

Of the above I've only been on Helix so far, but I'd have a hard time seeing any of the others being better than that. It definitely topped my expectations and didn't let up from start to finish. Some great airtime in the back row and the night rides added a bonus thrill. I don't think everyone in the group had quite as glowing an opinion but Helix had everything I love about coasters.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:31 pm

Here's my thoughts on some of 2014's offerings.

Most surprising to me - Banshee - WOW! I have NOT been a B&M "fan" for the last ten years or so. And while some of their older coasters are still in my top 10-20 list (Montu, Kumba, Drachen Fire, Pyreness, Katun, etc), I've felt that their designs have been lack-luster recently. Banshee was NOT a total throw-back to the golden B&M days, but it was close. Probably the best B&M I've been on in close to ten years.

Simply just fun and adorable - Seven Dwarfs Mine Train - I dunno, I know it's not that thrilling and it's made for kids, but I seriously love it and laugh through it every time I ride. And the animation inside the building's dark ride section is top notch! And I love how INSANE the operations on this ride are! It's amazing to watch them run this with 5 or 6 trains and load/dispatch in 20 seconds! Go Disney!!!

Holy F**K What just happened?!?! - Lightning Run - Quite possibly some of the most extreme airtime I've felt this side of an Intamin Mega-Lite. I honestly didn't know what to expect, but that little ride blew me away! I really hope more of these get built and soon!

Good but didn't blow me away - Goliath - Ugh, and I hate to say it because I really did *LIKE* the ride, but it just wasn't Outlaw Run, Texas Giant, or Rattler. Still, I think being my least favorite RMC makes it better than 99% of other roller coasters on this planet so that's a positive way to look at it.

PLEASE GET ME OFF THIS THING!!! - Thunderbolt - Seriously, what the hell? This ride made me hurt in ways that I never thought was possible. They need to either do some serious work on it, or never built another one. It was simply "not good."

Biggest let down of the year - Helix - I just don't see what other people see in it. It was a "good" ride, don't get me wrong. But it was not a *GREAT* ride. The launches were weak, the inversions were repetitive, the ride rattled more than a brand new coaster should have, and I thought the whole thing kind of meandered through the course. If it wasn't for those two moments of FANTASTIC airtime, this ride would be been a "one and done' for me. I like my launched coasters quick, snappy, and surprising. Maverick and iSpeed come to mind and deliver this. Helix did not. Not at all. I actually far prefer Kanonen to Helix! I give it thumbs up because it rounds out a very good collection of rides at Liseberg, but thumbs down for not meeting my expectations.

And I think that rounds up my thoughts on some of 2014's bigger rides!

--Robb
Last edited by robbalvey on Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:34 pm.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:34 pm

I haven't ridden all of them, but I think I would give the nod to Goliath, with Lightning Run a close second. I give some credit to Banshee, too, as the best new B&M ride after a bit of a "dry spell."

Thunderbolt rates as the biggest disappointment.
Last edited by cfc on Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:36 pm.

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!