Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

P. 1050: 2020 park and water park additions announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Re: Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Postby Intimidator305 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:49 pm

Thanks for sharing the reviews of the ride and I'm glad to hear that it is different enough from Behemoth for 2 different experiences within the park.

The whole plaza looks great, especially for Cedar Fair! I'm very impressed. Hopefully we will see more of this theming/signage around the chain in the coming years.

2 questions:
Did we ever figure out the angle of the lift hill?
Any word on when the tunnel is going to be added? I saw that they have the footers ready for it on the POV.

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby kunpc1 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:00 pm

The tunnel will be put in place starting Monday.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Carnage » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:01 pm

This is getting my psyched to ride it opening day. :b

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby rollin_n_coastin » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:09 pm

Hey everyone, don't forget to check out our sneak preview here!

Also, be sure to check out, comment and like the POV here!

These pics and more, coming up soon!

TWO PINTS ONLY

Postby coaster_dude2002 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:44 pm

The waiting is over, more photos from the media event!

Jason and I braved the cold Canadian spring (it honestly snowed a bit this morning…) to check out the parks 16th and new for 2012 coaster at Canada's Wonderland. LEVIATHAN!

The ride is a great addition to the park and really does stand out compared to Behemoth. They may look similar but Leviathan focuses on the speed and turns, and boy does it do it well. It does feel like Millennium Force but a million times better. Right from the start the speed never lets up as you move right along the front section of the park and over the main entrance. There are also a lot of airtime points ranging from floater, to even ejector air on the smaller hills!

Quick rundown of some stats:
Height: 306ft
Length: 5,486ft
Top Speed: 148km/h (92 mph)
Angle of descent: 80 degrees
Capacity: 1600 pph
16th coaster at Canada's Wonderland!

Check out TPR's official POV Video:

Now on to some photos!

DSCN5439.jpg
The awesome Leviathan ride sign! The park kept managed to keep this secret and wow did they do a great job on it. The whole entrance plaza is focused around this fountain creating a really nice atmosphere.

IMG_4537.jpg
Leviathan media kit!

DSC_0323.jpg
All checked in and ready to go. First some lunch with the media/auction winners.

DSC_0388.jpg
New view from the front entrance. With the ride running long the length of the park it add great atmosphere to the park as you enter.

DSC_0422.jpg
The first major hill is right next to the parking lot and towers over everything. Dragon Fire looks incredibly small from anywhere around Leviathan.

DSC_0423.jpg
The hammerhead turn of awesomeness. The ride really hauls through this area and that wonderful B&M roar fills the main entrance.

DSC_0330.jpg
306ft in the air. Time to throw your hands up and start screaming!

IMG_4534.jpg
The drop in to what will soon be a tunnel. Construction on it will being on Tuesday and will be completed before opening day! It will definitely will add to the ride and make it even more amazing. From what I was told it will be a tight fit, so expect a great head chopper!

DSC_0344.jpg
The park did a great job at updating the area around Leviathan and you would even notice that this is a brand new building.

DSC_0345.jpg
The Queue wraps around behind the building in to a few more sets of switch backs before heading up the stairs. Even with a small queue it shouldn’t be an issue as the ride-ops were really pushing the trains out this afternoon.

DSCN5438.jpg
It wasn’t just media day today; it was also the first rider’s auction! 96 eager riders and their guests were ready to go. The only people to ride before today was the park manager and any testing authorities, making these 96 people truly the first riders!

DSC_0342.jpg
Over $40,000 was raised for Sick Kids Hospital Foundation thanks to the 96 bidders for the first rides.

DSC_0329.jpg
One last test run before they can open it up for everyone!

IMG_4544.jpg
Here comes the first train and the car wraps were looking great.

DSC_0354.jpg
And they’re off! The first train of riders heads to the lift.

DSC_0357.jpg
Up and away! At this point there was a huge amount of screaming. That view up the hill really is intimidating.

DSC_0363.jpg
Flying through the barrel roll.

DSC_0368.jpg
32 happy riders back in the break run. It may look long, but it really does move quickly through that upper section.

DSCN5441.jpg
Looking cold, but they are smiling, must be a good sign right?

DSC_0380.jpg
I'm really not too sure about this… Guess there no turning back now!

DSCN5443.jpg
The lift moves quickly and before you know it you have an amazing view of the park beside you and that massive drop ahead.

479460_10150803784198566_194340658565_9757885_438947512_o.jpg
Then you face this. Hanging over the edge of the 300 ft drop for what seems like an eternity. The track just keeps getting steeper and steeper. Certainly didn’t feel like just 80 degrees!

DSC_0411.jpg
TWISTY!!

DSC_0389.jpg
Airtime hill. I was out of my seat the whole time during this with great floater air.

DSC_0397.jpg
This little airtime hill may not look like much, but it the train is really flying through here and it does throw you up and out of your seat. The supports also make for a head-chopper in this spot.

DSC_0401.jpg
In to the hammerhead and really flying over the front gate!

DSC_0413.jpg
The next hill is full of airtime and from there the ride really doesn’t let up until the break run. With it being so cold this morning I can only imaging what it will be like this summer. The train should be much faster through here making it even better.

DSC_0405.jpg
Another view of the barrel roll from the parking lot.

DSC_0409.jpg
Another train full of anxious riders about to plunge 300ft. The lift looks even more terrifying thanks to the lack of supports at the top.

DSC_0417.jpg
The small speed hill is only visible from outside the park, making for a nice surprise for unsuspecting riders.

DSC_0349.jpg
View from the station. All three trains were on the track and cycling well today.

DSC_0386.jpg
Canada’s tallest, fastest, and steepest coaster! It’s a great addition to Canada’s Wonderland and everyone needs to check it out.

IMG_4538.jpg
Sadly Snoopy was too scared to ride today; maybe by Leviathan bash he’ll change his mind. ;)

IMG_4552.jpg
Snoopy may not ride, but that wont stop us.

IMG_4551.jpg
Some of the new Leviathan merchandise available in the gift shops.

IMG_4557.jpg
Leviathan’s construction also brought a facelift to the arcade. It now fits in with the medieval area a lot better. No more futuristic theme in a medieval area!

IMG_4558.jpg
Leviathan vs. Behemoth! Who do you think would win?

IMG_4556.jpg
ater in the evening the ride sign came to life even more. In addition to the mist and smoke the eyes now glow! Really creates a menacing atmosphere.

IMG_4553.jpg
The back of the sign also has a bit of themeing to it!

IMG_4548.jpg
One last shot of Leviathan as we say good-bye to Wonderland. Definitely have to get back there soon to ride with the new tunnel and hopefully warmer weather!

The ride is fantastic and everyone needs to go and check it out. It's a great addition and B&M can pull off amazing things when they push their limits on things!

Be on the lookout in the next few days for even more video of Leviathan!
Last edited by robbalvey on Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:42 am.

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby rollin_n_coastin » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:54 pm

So Andrew, tell us, which stuffed animal wins? Leviathan or Behemoth? ;)

talonec wrote:Okay, I just rode it two more times...the back row is the best!

I think many of us felt that way today! I still feel the same about Behemoth! Did you end up giving it a try?

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby asimowalk » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:03 pm

For me, Behemoth is two different rides during the day and night, the latter being more intense. I can't imagine what night rides are like on this beast. Is there any special lighting on Leviathan like chaser lights?

One more thing... I noticed there's a lot of speakers on Leviathan. Is the spiel a bit longer or something?

Anyways, thanks a lot for the coverage today! :)

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby kunpc1 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:06 pm

All I can say is... IT`S ABOUT TIME! After ALL the coverage over this off-season, I`m so excited I was able to FINALLY ride this beast! As others have mentioned, I can`t wait to ride this when it`s above freezing ;)

It was definitely a great event. Along with CWMania and TPR, I was able to spend some time with a few of the local Toronto news stations too:

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20120427/canadas-wonderland-Leviathan-120427/20120427/?hub=TorontoNewHome

Only the service lights are up right now... I have a feeling that may change soon ;)
Last edited by robbalvey on Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:36 am.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby SuperShawn » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:35 pm

Great coverage by everyone! Leviathon can't get here soon enough :br

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby BaMiTsPaT » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:22 pm

With the Stinger sign and now Leviathan's ride sign, It seems that Cedar Fair is really stepping up the level of personality for their new coasters under this new leadership. The ride signage alone adds a personality to the ride that makes it more than just the 16th coaster in the park.
Coaster Count: 200 Wood:35 Steel: 165

Favorite Steel: Maverick (CP)
Favorite Wood: El Toro (SFGAdv.)

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!