Cedar Fair Rankings

Your top 12 list of Cedar Parks
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I love donkeys more than me.

Re: Cedar Fair Rankings

Postby azza29 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:56 pm

I like the Cedar Fair parks in general, but to rank those I've been to:
1. Cedar Point
2. Knotts
3. Kings Dominion
4. Kings Island
5. California's Great America
6. Dorney Park

My highest ranked Six Flags park would be Great Adventure, probably coming in between Kings Island and CGA.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Intaman » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:39 am

^ I'd have to say that CP and KI are my preferred parks in the Cedar Fair chain; I also really enjoy the charm of Knott's (plus it's one of the WCB parks-which obviously bolsters its appeal even more); that said, I'd probably put Great Adventure after those three; and although it does have El Toro and Nitro, I'll look at the entire experience.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby JRice92 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:56 am

I only have 3 under my belt.

1. Cedar Point
2. Kings Island
3. Kings Dominion

I consider Kings Island to be nearly on par with Cedar Point, the operations are phenomenal there and I really like the atmosphere. Kings Dominion is still a close 3rd because I305 is my #1 and the park looks amazing, however operations weren't AS good (When you're competing with CP & KI it's pretty hard to keep up) and while it looked good the overall atmosphere didn't feel as nice. Still a really great park. Next one I want to knock out is Carowinds!
2015 Ride Host - Millennium Force
2016 Team Leader - Millennium Force
2017 Ride Supervisor - Valravn
2018 Ride Supervisor - Top Thrill Dragster

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby angryemobeaver » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:33 am

From the parks I've been to.

1. Cedar Point- Obviously
2. Kings Dominion- I305 is my favorite coaster and overall I really enjoy visiting this park
3. Kings Island- Close tie with KD. KI was my home park for years and recently its lineup has became pretty impressive.
4. Worlds of Fun- I just love this park so much, great atmosphere, unique flats, and Patriot and Prowler are very great (and underrated) coasters!
5. Carowinds- Intimidator and Afterburn are both standout coasters, the rest of the collection is average but they're still fun rides! (I haven't been since 2010 so I need to try out Fury.)
6. Michigan's Adventure- Shivering Timbers is wonderful, and of course there is also Wolverine Wildcat which is fairly good and Thunderhawk which is the only smooth SLC I've ridden so far!

I recently moved to from Indianapolis to Washington D.C. so I should be able to visit Dorney Park and re-visit Carowinds and KD here soon (plus get to go to Hershey, SFA, SFGAdv, and BGW.)
Last edited by angryemobeaver on Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:59 am.
I have a hard time ranking coasters so here are just some of my favorites
|Intimidator 305|Maverick|Skyrush|Voyage|Shivering Timbers|Goliath SFOG|Fahrenheit|Banshee|Mystery Mine|Cornball Express|Cheetah Hunt|

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby MIAfan88 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:16 pm

My ranking are based on the ride selection from kid rides to the big thrills.
1. Kings Island
2. Carowinds
3. Cedar Point
4. Canada's Wonderland
5. Kings Dominion
6. Worlds of Fun
7. ValleyFair
8. Dorney Park
9. Knott's Berry Farm
10. California's Great America
11. Michigan's Adventure

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby coasterer » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:55 pm

I haven't been to Knott's, but I've been to the rest. As I started thinking, I was amazed that it's been almost a decade since I've been to some of these parks. So, some things might have changed.

1) Cedar Point - mmm, how can you not love Cedar Point?
2) King's Island
3) Worlds of Fun
4) King's Dominion
5) Carowinds
6) Dorney
7) Valleyfair
8) Canada's Wonderland
9) Michigan's Adventure
10) California's Great America

Couple thoughts -
I love the feel of backwoods feel of King's Island, and what WoF did with Prowler was wonderful. King's Dominion, Carowinds, and Canada's Wonderland all have this generic mega park feel with a lot of filler rides, but to be fair, I went to those parks before Fury 325 and Leviathan. King's Dominion gets major points for I325, Volcano, and Dominator, and Carowinds has Afterburn, which I could ride all day. CGA, this get's last place for me, but this was before the GCI. Back when I went, there wasn't too much to love, even with Flight Deck. Shivering Timbers is heaven, which is Michigan's Adventures' only salvation. Thinking back on Dorney and Valleyfair, they both have a similar medium-size park feel to them that makes them accessible and a little more intimate - nothing spectacular, but certainly far from 'not nice'.
Favorites: Voyage, T-Express, Goliath (WW), Medusa Steel Coaster, Boulder Dash, Katun, I 305, El Toro, Storm Runner, Mega-lite, Shivering Timbers, Alpengeist, Millennium Force, Thunderhead, Nemesis, Skyrush, Prowler, Atlantis Adventure, Thundercoaster, Maverick, Jungle Storm, Cornball Express, Behemoth,

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:59 pm

1) Cedar Point
2) Kings Dominion
3) Kings Island
4) Canada's Wonderland (I love their flats)
5) Carowinds
6) Worlds of Fun
7) Knott's Berry Farm
8) Dorney Park
9) California Great America
10) Valleyfair
11) Michigan's Adventure

Gilroy Gardens doesn't really count because it is not owned by Cedar Fair.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Annoying, impatient and needs to be kicked by a donkey.

Postby I305forever » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:46 pm

^ WOF over KBF? Interesting opinion. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that.
Still confused about why vekomas headquarters hasn't been burnt down by an angry mob of enthusiasts

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Superbatboy » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:36 pm

Cedar Point
King's Island
Knott's
Cali Great America
1.Skyrush 2.El Toro 3.Fury 325 4.Maverick 5.New Texas Giant 6.Wicked Cyclone 7.Twisted Colossus 8.Superman:TR 9.Millennium Force 10.Apollo's Chariot

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:03 am

MrSum1_55 wrote:More notes on Dorney:
Dorney Park is a bit of a conundrum for me. It has everything that a coaster lineup should have to be amazing, including an invert, floorless, hyper, and classic wooden coaster. On paper, this sounds like it would be such a fantastic selection. However, their coasters in all four of these categories are some of the weakest I have ridden in all of them. The shuttle coasters are fun, but nothing to write home about. I still feel bad placing it in last, as it is well-operated.

I agree with this completely. Steel Force is one of the dullest hypers anywhere though if you ride it in the front seat it does become a very good ride, Talon is the best of the bunch and it's great but it's a middle of the road invert, floorless coasters in general never blow anyone away but Hydra is on the lower end of the spectrum. Hydra is kind of a shame as it's an extremely rare example of B&M completely breaking the mold and building a unique layout. It has a straight drop, it starts out with a turnaround after the drop and not an inversion, it has the jojo roll, has no vertical loop or dive loop and the first 3 inversions are barrel roll style inversions. It's cool and it's a good ride but it's not amazing. Posessed is great but it's still an impulse coaster, Thunderhawk has the potential to be amazing with it's random moments of OMFG ejector airtime in the front car but it's over-trimmed and rough as hell and Stinger sucks.

The closest thing they have to a forceful coaster is unfortunately Posessed now that Laser is gone, all of Dorney's coasters are fun but they need a stand out ride. I think one major addition could really change the perception of their coaster lineup but I don't see them making the investment in a star coaster to watch it be a walk on all the time and send half empty trains all day which it would probably do at Dorney where family rides and the waterpark seem to be the major draws.

Luckily a park isn't all about coasters and the park is very well maintained, has a nice flat ride collection, has a very good waterpark and has 2 star non-coaster stand out attractions with Demon Drop and Thunder Creek Mountain.

Oh... and Chickie and Pete's. ;)

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!