So what were the best new coasters of 2014?

Now that the season is over...discuss!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Re: So what were the best new coasters of 2014?

Postby MrSum1_55 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:41 pm

I would rank them:
1. Lightning Run-Not only are people saying it is a top ten ride, but it is also a great sign of hope for a park that was near closing (kind of the effect Gold Striker had on the other side of the country)
2. Medusa-This looks like one of RMC's best creations, and it is even more impressive to see something like this be built in a less economically-advanced country with few coasters.
3. Helix- Just an amazing launch coaster that has changed the face of Liseberg. When I thought of Liseberg, I used to think of Balder first. Now, I think of both Balder and Helix when I hear a mention of that park. This 1-2 punch is one that I have to try out some day.

Comments on other rides:
Goliath-Looks great, but it is a bit short, and I have heard that it is RMC's weakest creations. I would have expected a bit more from a park as large as SFGAm.
Banshee-A good return to form for B&M, and seemed like the perfect addition for a park lacking a modern, high capacity looping coaster (Flight of Fear is starting to get pretty dated, and Firehawk has some capacity issues)
El Loco-(The only one on the list I have actually ridden)-A strange but good coaster. It has plenty of hang time, and it is very refreshing to see a new coaster in a normally coaster starved area of the country.
Seven Dwarves-Not too thrilling, but it is Disney, so I guarantee that the theming is awesome.
Roarosaurus-These family wood coasters look like a lot of fun, and I would love to see more parks try these out.

Did the donkey fairy give me this title?

Postby rcoaster10 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:43 pm

I've been on 3 of them, Banshee, Goliath, and Firechaser. If I had to rank them it would be:

1. Goliath- it feels too short, but what it packs into that time is insane. It was my first RMC and I was very impressed with the ejector air both on the drop and airtime hill. The zero-g stall is totally unique as well. But best of all, it's SO smooth.

2. Banshee- a great fit for KI, and a great coaster. It has a perfect flow of elements and they're so large that it's an easy coaster to marathon even though it has 7 inversions. The only thing I don't like about it is the horrible rattle that it's had since day 1. The ride is very bouncy and has been on all 3 occasions I visited KI this summer. (Media day, Memorial day, Banshee Bash). It is unfortunate since if it was as smooth as Goliath it would probably be my number one of this year.

3. Firechaser- this is actually a great family coaster but it doesn't compare to the first 2 in terms of thrills. It is everything a family coaster should be, though. Forwards, backwards, fog, props, launches, lifts, this thing has it all! It fits in perfectly with Dollywood. It manages to gives some unique thrilling elements, yet still keep it family friendly.

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby irideburton4 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:46 pm

I have only ridden goliath and banshee so i would probably say goliath. I loved banshee but it was surprisingly kind of rough for a new ride and i love RMC's to death
World's best haunted house group leader

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:50 pm

Only been on three so far but I'd rank the three I rode as follows:

Lightning Run
Banshee
Thunderbolt
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

I'm 39 and can't find the Shift Key

Postby fatdaddy » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:01 pm

I loved Helix, instantly in my top five, could even be my #1. First ride I thought I was gonna die! The ones I haven't ridden that I NEED to ride Medusa, Banshee, Lightning Run. El Loco later this month, but I don't think it'll be as amazing as the others.
WHO'S YOUR DADDY?

Former captain of the Arrow bus.

Postby Erik Johnson » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:08 pm

The first drop of Banshee was seriously the big surprise for me this year. I just assumed it would be another, one of the same first B&M drops, boy was I wrong. I liked Goliath, especially the wierd upside down hangtime moments. I just felt that the ride was a bit too short. It really needed one or two more elements to make it feel more complete for me. Lightning Run was fun. I had to really catch my breath after the final series of bunny hills.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby XII » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:21 pm

I've only been on two of the new 2014 coasters. This is how I'd rank them.

1. Helix @ Liseberg - Helix was certainly a very fun ride, or as I like to call it, Variety: The Ride. I think Helix deserves an award for having the most variety on any coaster in the world. It has EVERYTHING. Drop out of the station, launch, airtime, hangtime, laterals, positive Gs, out of control feelings, enough inversions to where I stopped counting, and on top of all that, it's a LONG ride. I seriously think Helix is up there as one of the longest coasters (time wise, not counting lifthills, brake runs, or boring bits) in the world. I remember hearing the park representitives talk about how Helix wasn't meant to be the most intense coaster out there, but the best coaster they could possibly design, to maximize fun and not be too intense so people could ride it over and over and over again, and honestly, that's EXACTLY how I thought of the ride. None of the individual elements on Helix are amazing or anything. It's airtime is fun in some spots, but it's not like a Mega Lite or anything, the inversions are fun, but not the best, and the launches are definitely on the weak side. However, it's just a ton of fun to ride. It's like the sample platter of roller coasters. It does everything and is just a fun ride to have a good time on.

2. El Loco @ Adventuredome - I was really surprised by this. I was just expecting this to be a more compact version of Steel Hawg. WRONG!!! This just seemed much faster than Steel Hawg. I didn't think the lack of a brake on the first drop could make such a good difference. And I much prefer the trick track and dive loop into the brakes over the downward inline twist and turnaround. Thumbs up from me.

EDIT:
3. Speedy Gonzalas' Hot Rod Racers @ Six Flags Magic Mountain - I literally forgot about this ride until I heard other people in the thread mentioning it. A worthless kiddy coaster that SFMM doesn't need and now that I have the credit, I will never ever ride it again.
Last edited by XII on Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:40 am.
Just because yours is smaller doesn't make you less of a man. Unless we're talking about your brain.
http://www.incrediblecoasters.com

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby coastercoaster5 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:12 pm

I have only been on Banshee and El Loco. With that said, the best three are:

1. Lightning run.

2. Medusa

Banshee was AWESOME!!!!! but these look unreal.
Last edited by coastercoaster5 on Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:46 pm.

Alan Schilke is my "man crush".

Postby Woodie Warrior » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:24 pm

I'd rank the three I've ridden as follows:

1. Lightning Run @ Kentucky Kingdom- Wow wow wow wow wow. Moments of extreme airtime and insane twists and turns. Even if the park isn't my fave, this ride is a gem.

2. Goliath @ Six Flags Great America- I loved the drop and the zero-G stall, but the ride was just super short and had a few boring elements. I was slightly disappointed.

3. Banshee @ Kings Island- It's my #2 invert. Fun ride, but not my favorite coaster ever by any means. It had a slight rattle that made the ride feel like a blur.
Top 10: 1. The Voyage 2. Outlaw Run 3. Millennium Force 4. SkyRush 5. Maverick
6. El Toro 7. Fahrenheit 8. Storm Runner 9. Thunderbird 10. Powder Keg

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby ZeroGravity55 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:29 pm

I'm not gonna rate any of them since I haven't ridden any of them, but I do have a question. Has anybody on here with a high coaster count actually ridden Medusa? From the POV, this ride really just grabs me, and I'm curious to read some reviews on it and how it stacks up to other rides someone has ridden. If there is nobody, that's alright, I can wait until a TPR Mexico trip.

robbalvey wrote:the inversions were repetitive

I'm glad you said this. Don't get me wrong, when I saw the POV of Helix, I was sure it was a good ride, but I felt like it was doing the same thing over and over again. Hopefully as Mack designs more roller coasters, they're able to get better at coming up with better designs and become more innovative.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!