Switch to full style
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Post a reply

Re: Knoebels Discussion Thread

Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:09 pm

I imagine that the event the night before helped cut down the lines quite a bit. I rode it three times the night before. (I'd have ridden more, but Phoenix had literally NO wait, not even for the front and back seats, and you could just sit on it!) As such, I didn't want to wait 1-1.5 hours on Saturday. I know a lot of other people who didn't ride it on Saturday, keeping the line shorter for the rest of you!

According to Dick, they had over 700 people at the event the night before, and over 1500 at PPP. So, if you figure that nearly half of the people at the park had already ridden it the night before, mostly multiple times, that seriously cut down the queue on Saturday. Even those who did ride it both nights, mostly stuck with their one free ride on Saturday. And many of those remaining people on Saturday were local non-enthusiasts who would only wait once for it, if at all.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:59 pm

Looking at the Hall-o-Fun map on Knoebel's Facebook, the Flying Turns is not listed as an open ride (all other coasters except Kosmo's Kurves are). I wonder if they'll keep it open for the next weekends of Hall-o-Fun. It would be a shame having that not open when every ride around it seems to be still open for the event.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:29 pm

On the Facebook picture, someone asked if FT will be open and Knoebels responded "Weather permitting." How foolhardy would it be of me to go either Saturday or Sunday for Flying Turns? The weather forecast right now is cloudy, but no rain.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:12 pm

Dick Knoebel said at the closing ceremonies that it would be open next weekend.

Like all parks, weather will be an issue. I read some reports that they had said they wouldn't run it in the rain. But they DID run it as long as the line was still there at the end of PPP. And it was raining, somewhat hard at points. (The rain started just before the 10PM end of ride time.)

So, it's possible that rain turns out to be less of an issue than they thought it would be.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:06 pm

I like the theming but I think the layout is kind of tame.Still waiting for another Swiss Bob Run. :(

Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:02 pm

cfc wrote: As I recall, Busch Gardens Williamsburg annouced plans for a "Virginia Reel" like ride, and concept art was even published in the local paper. But that was many years ago, and nothing ever came of it. Anybody else recall this, or is my old memory playing tricks on me? ;)

Yeah, by Arrow, right? I remember seeing the Arrow prototype shots.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:15 pm

Kim Pedersen (Of the original 'backyard coasters fame') posted a pretty good back car POV of Flying Turns! Check this out:

I'd also highly suggest subscribing to his channel. He has some VERY interesting roller coaster videos. Check them out: http://www.youtube.com/user/monorailguru

Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:21 pm

^It's hilarious to see the creation of a vertical video in that video. :lol:

Anyways, that is one good POV from the back seat.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:20 pm

Looks like a good ride for Knoebels--not a major "thrill machine," but a good family coaster that's entertaining for everyone.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:29 am

This ride just looks like pure fun, I can't wait to get back to Knoebels one of these days and give it a try.

I may have missed it somewhere in the past several pages but what is the height restriction for this thing? I've got a 1 year old that's growing like a weed and Knoebels might just have to be in the works a few years from now....
Post a reply
MY LATEST VIDEOS