2,138 members have voted

1. 1. What's your orientation?

• I'm a guy who likes girls
    • I'm a guy who likes guys
    • I'm a girl who likes guys
    • I'm a girl who likes girls
    • I'm a guy who likes guys and girls
    • I'm a girl who likes girls
    • I haven't figured out what I like yet...
    • Hobosexual (I'm a person who likes hobos)
    • Hoosexual (I'm a person who likes owls)

I laugh when I watch friends try to stereotype gay friends by assuming what they must be like. It's hilarious how utterly stupid they are for tying to fit a stereotype to a sexuality in the first place.

Not to mention the fact many of my friends think I'm gay because I spend the majority of my time hanging with girls. How does that make any sense at all!?

^ I've spent most of my life breaking the mold- as the moldie-oldie goes "When G-D made me, He broke the mold- and was then overheard saying "Holy Hell, that's the last time I do that after a heavy night of Drinking."

Stereotypes are, however, sadly re-enforced by the gay community- to the point that a community that is 'all enclusive' is rather 'only inclusive of those who are like us'. I have seen worse bias, bigotry, hate and intolerance within the gay community than I have in any other place- and mind you, I live half my year in San Francisco.

Go to any given 'gay event' and look at how they are arranged- by clique, by type, and to a lesser extent, by look. I'm a 6'0 Skinhead- and proud of my tolerant, anti-hate roots. You do not find a lot of us- as we're not the 'fetish' types that people seem to stereotype us as. Instead, we either get looked at as a fetish tool (OOOH! He'll beat me up! YAY!) or as a racist (Who let the ARYANS in?) or as a bunch of hooligans up for trouble. And mind you, that's just me- Imagine what it is for the older types (My BF is 64, to give you an idea) as if you're older and go to one of the pride events, it's assumed you're a daddy- and looking for a 'son'. Then there's the direct bias against age- I'm 36 now, and that's reflected in 'gay years' as being 70. The bias for youth and beauty is obscene. If you're carrying a little extra weight, you're a bear- and you're only allowed to play with other bears. Intolerance, no matter HOW it's practiced, is wrong. it's why I DON'T fit in with the gay community- as it's not a place I'd ever like to be!

But- I'm also noticing that with the latest generation of boys and girls coming out, that we're seeing change in this: I can only say to the newly-out, those thinking about coming out, or those who aren't even sure yet this: YOU have the power to change these lines- and YOU have the chance to do things right. Don't get sucked into the world of bias- but let yourself be YOU.

^What's sad is that I'm 17 and agree with you so much. I do not like being a part of the gay community for the simple fact that I'm not "accepted." You have to be masculine, skinny/muscular, must drink, must dress a certain way, etc. It's why I don't go to gay events because EVERY time that I do, I feel so uncomfortable. The gay community is just not something that I like being a part of, especially in a "small" big city like I live in. We're small enough that everyone pretty much knows everyone. Everyone goes to the same club, everyone does drag when they turn 18, everyone starts going to the other club when they turn 21. Same, same, same. Straight community, I stick out because I'm gay. Gay community, I stick out because I do not conform to the stereotype. It sucks. Thank God I'm moving in September. Is Chicago any better???

Well I think harder than being into paintball is someone like me and my partner who like to watch extreme sports (skateboarding, surfing, snowboarding, etc.) but both cannot stand any general sports! We also listen to extreme metal (black, death, thrash, hardcore, etc.) Try finding many of those type gays!

I used to skateboard in high school and college, tempted to start it up again just for something to do this summer. And I love metal/hardcore music. It's pretty rare in general to find people who like hardcore music. My ex hated when I played my music in the car, but he got into a few mudvayne, disturbed, and five finger death punch songs. Anything with to much screaming and he would turn if off :\

^ and ^^

I'm a die-hard, tattooed with the logos, flagbearing, eagle-hugging, loudmouth Capitals Fan. As in: Gee, Rangers, Are you unable to score against the Capital Defense? Or is it just the Great Eight coming up to assist again?

(BTW: GO CAPS!)

Sports are not verboten from being queer- it's the stigma that you're not ALLOWED to be a sports fan that holds a lot of people from actually saying it. I know that I'd rather go to ESPN Zone than the Eagle any night. You'll find me at a Flogging Molly or Pietasters show, rather than clubbing the night away looking for 'pretty boys'. There is a huge advantage to being butch in life- as it means for many of us we've transcended the stereotype- and into a place where we CAN be ourselves.

For the record, I'm quoting this for awesome. If you're ever round DC parts again shoot me a PM, I have season tickets!

I love going to sports bars with my friends and just in general hanging out. Flipside: I also love going to clubs and dancing. One thing I figured out without too much effort is you don't go to clubs looking for a partner. Its bad news bears. I also absolutely LOVE video games, I'm a huge geek. Date for personality, not looks (in my opinion).

I love top 40, I love blues, jazz, rock, alternative, hell even some rap songs. Right now my flavor is Adele, its all just what tickles my fancy - I refuse to be defined by the stereotype.

P.S. COME BACK....WHAT RANGERS? WE CAN'T HEAR YOU!

Imagine what it is for the older types (My BF is 64, to give you an idea) as if you're older and go to one of the pride events, it's assumed you're a daddy- and looking for a 'son'. Then there's the direct bias against age- I'm 36 now, and that's reflected in 'gay years' as being 70.

^ This is awesome! My partner is 67 and I'm going on 40 & I agree...a lot of people in the gay community think the older is the 'Sugar Daddy' and the younger is the 'son' playing him for money. Ummmm....not even close in our case even though I have seen this card played in other relationships. Can't say that I'm a big fan of a younger guy taking advantage of an older guy just because he might be lonely and has money. My partner's friend is a perfect example of that.

Most will call our's an older/younger relationship of which I am fine with, and while a lot of people will see it as strange, almost everyone that knows us is fine with it and understands that we have a great relationship (both his family & mine). Probably better than most straight marriages actually!

The fact that our families love us both and understand us is a wonderful thing. I hope all your friends and family are just as understanding as ours!

We have a great loving relationship, split things fifty-fifty and just like being together all the time. I like the wisdom & maturity he brings to the table, and he likes the fact that I make him feel young and alive.

Oh...and I also got him into coasters and theme parks when originally, he was scared to ride any roller coaster. Now he loves them and will go on just about anything as long as it isn't a spin-n-puke!

Hey everyone!

Just posting a project of mine that went live earlier today. A whole bunch of us employees from NBCUniversal came together and made a video contribution to the "It Gets Better" project.

I was the editor and a producer on the cut. This project has been near and dear to me for the past few months..so I'm very happy to share this with you all! Here's hoping that the IGB project will continue to affect people's lives in a positive way.

-Lewis

^^

Holy crap!... That video is amazing... thanks for posting/sharing that... and congrats on putting it together... I have linked it to my Facebook account and plan to get my friends to see it and (hopefully) share it as well... my partner is going to be very excited to see the video (especially since he works for Universal Studios Orlando) and will be very proud that his company put that together... thanks again... it's wonderful!... job well done!...

P.S. COME BACK....WHAT RANGERS? WE CAN'T HEAR YOU!

WHOOT! Even though I'm back in SF for the weekend, I'll be using the net to hear the game. Feel for my BF in this one.

Oh...and I also got him into coasters and theme parks when originally, he was scared to ride any roller coaster. Now he loves them and will go on just about anything as long as it isn't a spin-n-puke!

It was quite a treat in October 2009; He showed up where I was working, with my suitcase, and took me to DL for my Birthday... totally a surprise, and it was great. And... Getting to ride the Matterhorn Bobsleds with those cool-ass cars that allow you to 'canoodle' up the lift hill was a big bonus, too.

BTW: I've got him up to most non-looping, non-spinning rides so far. But then again, I don't spin. At all. I got queasy on the Teacups!

Hey everyone!

Just posting a project of mine that went live earlier today. A whole bunch of us employees from NBCUniversal came together and made a video contribution to the "It Gets Better" project.

I was the editor and a producer on the cut. This project has been near and dear to me for the past few months..so I'm very happy to share this with you all! Here's hoping that the IGB project will continue to affect people's lives in a positive way.

-Lewis

I have watched quite a few It get's better videos, and I still get touched by them. Great work,thanks for sharing.

Hey everyone!

-Lewis

Even being straight, that was quite a great and touching video, and was interesting to watch. Thanks for sharing!

Hey everyone!

-Lewis

Remarkable job, Lewis...thank you so much for sharing! I hope that there are certain members from the site that can view this and see that there IS light at the end of the tunnel!

^^^ That's cool! I know my BF usually will close his eyes in the loops of the coasters, but he will still ride them. Funny that he won't do a lot of flats, but he does love him some Max-Air!

I notice quite a few parents or teenagers nodding at Michael in the queue saying things like, "if that older guy can ride it and not be scared, you shouldn't be either!"

I so wish these clips were around when I was growing up. I knew when I was 12, and just figured, okay, If I am lucky it will be at least 6 years before I could ever find anyone. Which was a pretty cold view, but, little did I realize how much more difficult it would be when you would develop feelings for guys that you couldn't make go away with a snap of the fingers. Most people thought of me as a nerd, so, I was picked on for that rather than being gay. At least, some people appreciated that being smart would be a good thing and gave me some slack. Still, High School sucked, forced to bury your true self, painful, very painful. There has been so much progress, and I wish I had been brave enough to be part of the vanguard that helped bring it about.

^ Agreed about high school sucking! I was new wave/punk so most of the bullies were scared of me (they all thought I was on drugs.) The only kid who tried to come out in my school, however; was expelled. No being the vanguard for me there - just getting crapped on.

I got involved in my 20's.

David

I'm straight, and I've know it since I was 5.

While I was in the middle of watching the 1992 Miss America pageant, I was told bedtime was coming up soon for my Sister and I. I remember asking my Dad if I could stay up just a little bit longer, so I could see the swimsuit contest, or if he could tape it for me. From that point on I knew I was attracted to girls.

You know, some of my best friends are straight, and I don't object to their lifestyle choices at all. So long as they don't do anyting around me.

Hell, I've even marched in a Straight Pride parade.

(Sorry- I couldn't resist... And in all reality- my closest friend is straight.)

^^ Jynx, I don't think I've ever not laughed when I think about that

Looking back, there were similar things I did when I was growing up, but I just didn't know exactly what it meant, other than I knew I liked girls. In a way, I've always been like Leon Phelps (The Ladies Man) just minus the treating women like they were for nothing but sex, and ever having had a girlfriend.