TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 771: Onsite employee housing under construction at Dollywood

I seen somewhere this area may be Geyser Gulch? Isn’t that an area River Rampage is themed around?

I highly doubt that. That was a kids playground area at Silver Dollar City (Branson) for over 15 years. It is unlikely HFEC would reuse the name/theme even if it were at a sister park.

As far as River Battle coming back I feel it will. Especially if it was spotted a week before Splash opened. The kids loved it, me personally I don’t like getting THAT wet. Slidewinder is my limit really. RB for me was too much lol but it was fun to watch the kids have fun. I think if it’s briugh back it’ll be rethemed to a less...”whimsical cartoon”. Maybe go more realistic. I seen somewhere this area may be Geyser Gulch? Isn’t that an area River Rampage is themed around?

Onto Lightning Rod, so I just checked the Dollywood snap story, and apparently LR has no new additions to it. (No new hoods, lights, etc.) So what were those hoods in the grass for?

Yup, it was there a week or so before splash opened.. at least part of it. You could see some of the "logs" while driving into Dollywood early this month.

I'm also curious if it will come back under a new theme? Especially if the area has a drastically different theme than others in the park..

As for LR, my theory is they planned to change the hoods and stuff out but then had a series of downtime and issues that got in the way of the change

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

I seen somewhere this area may be Geyser Gulch? Isn’t that an area River Rampage is themed around?

I highly doubt that. That was a kids playground area at Silver Dollar City (Branson) for over 15 years. It is unlikely HFEC would reuse the name/theme even if it were at a sister park.

Why wouldn't they reuse a name? It's a decent, unique name and they already have the trademarks. They re-use everything else between the parks anyway, more-so now than ever. I could see them not thinking that it fits the park well enough though. Not a lot of geysers in the smokies that I know of. The "geyser" at SDC was a wacky imaginative thing that tied into the zany kids area. Other than Mystery Mine, they don't seem quite as creative at DW. I could see them calling it something like "Cascade Canyon".

I still think Screamscape just regurgitates a lot of what they read on message boards. Who knows if there's any veracity to those rumors, or if that's just the communities best guess at the moment. It sounds good though.

The problem with the original river battle was never the ride style itself, it was just that they cheaped out so much on it. Some non-plastic theming would have gone a long way. It was already pretty short though... not sure it would be worth waiting in line for if it ends up even shorter.

This video was posted today showing a construction update. I’ve seen some footers being placed for the coaster already. Something I’ve been really focusing on though is the back area near the train loop. Some dozer work has been going on there. If they weren’t going to develop that, wouldn’t they just leave it well undeveloped? In the video it is being leveled and has like an orange liner around an area. Could Dollywood develop the whole plot in one?

A45908AD-3ACC-4456-8E04-DA0DB9ED3B0F.jpeg.ea2fa8e0704f45c7e0b967f539532ff3.jpeg

I still think Screamscape just regurgitates a lot of what they read on message boards. Who knows if there's any veracity to those rumors, or if that's just the communities best guess at the moment. It sounds good though.

Yeah, the whole bit about not being able to get a hyper because Carowinds and SFoG has one seemed a little far fetched to me. Based on that logic, shouldn't Carowinds not have been able to get Intimidator if there was some clause?

Anyone in the pigeon forge area got a look on this weekends weather? I keep watching from my phone and it’s changed 6 times. I’ll be going to Dollywood possibly on Sunday and I want to dodge the thunderstorms and rain if possible. I have a bring a friend pass and Sunday is the last day to use this one.

I want to dodge the thunderstorms and rain if possible.

The tropical storm should be gone by then, but what comes in after is hard to guess.

Expect typical summer weather, scattered afternoon thunderstorms.

Now it’s changed back to all day thunderstorms with a 90% chance of rain. If it doesn’t change we’ll push back to next weekend. I really don’t feel like walking around a soaking wet Dollywood all day haha I done that back in December. Yea the lines were low but I was just so uncomfortable. Soaking wet feet, etc.

One thing I’ve never understood about the bring a friend passes is why they only have certain dates. Like mine are 4/30-6/3 and 8/6-8/31. Especially for the August one, that’s called a fall ticket, and that doesn’t even cover any fall festival lol

This time of year it's hard to "Dodge" storms.. the other day I was there with a 75% chance of rain.. it rained 30 mins and sun was out the rest of the day.. it's just our weather.. today is a 100% and so far it's only rained this morning at my home.. and was done by 11.

I was at Dollywood early this week, the day of the "flood" and was there until about 4 or 5 with no rain.. it was actually sunny most of the morning.. we could see the rain coming over the mountains.. rain hit, I'm not sure what time (about 7 where I live) and was very hard for an hour or so causing the floods..

Point is, still a great day for the most part.

Pete said during an interview they would be coming back at some point.. he made it sound like they would be back last season but never actually said that. He just mentioned they would be back

I was there at Thanksgiving and an employee told me they were putting something in the where the train makes its loop. I think this is just an old rumor reheated, but i was wondering with the expansion if anyone has heard anymore?

For anyone buying one day tickets for Dollywood on their website, I just got one day tickets for our trip in August for $51.50 each by using the promo code KROGER. That's a pretty good saving almost 20 dollars off each ticket.

Honestly it wouldn’t surprise me if they started expanding up to the train loop but I don’t see it happening anytime soon that would be years from now and I wonder if they will ever build anything behind TT also I’ve seen the idea of a railroad expansion tossed around on other forms that would expand the train route also is there any announcement date set for the 2019 project

Honestly it wouldn’t surprise me if they started expanding up to the train loop but I don’t see it happening anytime soon that would be years from now and I wonder if they will ever build anything behind TT also I’ve seen the idea of a railroad expansion tossed around on other forms that would expand the train route also is there any announcement date set for the 2019 project

expanding in the train loop has been thrown around for years. Back when Adventure Mountain was built there was discussion of a path going up that way. IMHO there are two reason why it wont happen in the loop and the expansion went behind Thunderhead instead.

1. A highlight of the train ride is the upper loop and the Mountain views you get from up there. If they expand up there it would completely change the atmosphere of the train ride and I think a majority of the GP is against that.

2. There would be a lot of infrastructure that would have to be built up to the train loop. There are no bathrooms from MM to Blazing fury so a lot of plumbing would have to installed up the Mountain.

By the size of the land cleared behind thunderhead, it looks like they have a few years of projects in that spot. Just a random thought. but do any of you know why they haven't torn down the old restaurant next to Heartsong and expanded back that way. My kids think that would be a great spot for a coaster.

expanding in the train loop has been thrown around for years. Back when Adventure Mountain was built there was discussion of a path going up that way. IMHO there are two reason why it wont happen in the loop and the expansion went behind Thunderhead instead.

1. A highlight of the train ride is the upper loop and the Mountain views you get from up there. If they expand up there it would completely change the atmosphere of the train ride and I think a majority of the GP is against that.

2. There would be a lot of infrastructure that would have to be built up to the train loop. There are no bathrooms from MM to Blazing fury so a lot of plumbing would have to installed up the Mountain.

By the size of the land cleared behind thunderhead, it looks like they have a few years of projects in that spot. Just a random thought. but do any of you know why they haven't torn down the old restaurant next to Heartsong and expanded back that way. My kids think that would be a great spot for a coaster.

There ARE bathrooms..

Plumbing is already between MM and blazing fury.. there are restaurants (plumbing is required for them), misters (meaning there is water) and other things that require water.

Yes, they would have to built infrastructure up to the train loop, they are doing that for the new area as well but saying there is no plumbing between MM and blazing fury is so off base haha

Oh and not to mention, the park themselves said they would be expanding towards the train loop before their 10 year project is up.. maybe not all the way up but towards. (They might consider this new area towards so who knows). The location of the new area will allow easier access on up the mountain.

Anyways, I was at the park today. No lines, only 15 minute wait for LR.. MM had a fairly long line on my way out but overall nice day. Everything else was fairly empty, empty boats on Daredevil, empty trains on fury and so on. No new hoods or trunks on LR and only running one train on LR, but it was a full train. BBQ is great this year! I love their sauces and even had to buy some of the apple butter BBQ sauce to bring home.. For about $16 (after gold pass discount) got a refill in our bottle and the three meat sampler! Great ribs, great pulled pork, and awesome smoked sausage.. all fresh tasting and looked cooked locally! We only got one plate and still couldn't finish it! Plenty of food because it also had sides..

Funny side note.. have the lady in the BBQ sauce stand ring up the pig toy.. it comes up and says "squeaky pig ass" on the screen! I'm sure they will fix it, she said she just noticed it today when someone complained lol

Planning ahead for our DW trip the last week of July/first week of August: I was super excited to see that iLuminate was going to be at DW this year in place of the Bubble show (which was seriously awesome and we saw it twice!) However, it appears they will only be at DW for 2 weeks and there will be no show in that main show building after July 21. The only other show besides bluegrass music or some singers seems to be a painting guy on a back porch. Does anyone know if DW truly has nothing planned for the last few weeks of summer? That would be a big bummer, if so. Changing travel dates to be able to see the drum show or iLuminate is not a possibility, unfortunately and the shows at Dollywood are a big draw!

They will probably have their Christian Rock Festival sometime this summer but shows during summer have always been limited compared to the rest of the season.