TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Has anybody heard anything about the Gatlinburg Mountain Coaster? Hillbilly Golf is not very far from it at all. It's probably my least favorite mountain coaster out of the three I've ridden, but it would still be a shame if something happened to it.

We might get lucky and hillbilly golf will be ok! Everyone else that "burned" are reporting that the rumors were false.. of course I don't believe anyone really been in the city yet but we can all hope

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Mysterious Mansion still stands. It was the building next to it that was destroyed. River Terrace also received damage which is on the other side of the Edgewater hotel which Mysterious Mansion is directly adjacent to. Sounds like the fire jumped over both and the rain put out the fire before any significant damage occurred.

Edited by ernierocker

So once again we are dealing with fake news being spread around and even owners of the properties are being duped into it? Ugh, what is the world coming to. First a bored dumbass sets a fire, then people are making fake news about things being destroyed to upset people more?!?!

Good luck to all of those truly affected by this terrible fire.

From my co-workers: No significant damages to tourist attractions in the area. It sounds like Hillbilly Golf has some damage and the buildings on top of the mountain where the Gatlinburg Ski Lift goes to. The fires basically shot up on both sides of the Gatlinburg strip on the ridges and eventually went all the way through the spur and onto the ridges around Dollywood. There was 80 plus mph winds going from south to north which made this the perfect storm. The majority of the major damage is cabins, chalets and homes. A lot of the hotels that were damaged are off of US 321 to the north and south towards Airport Road. The Park Vista hotel was in this area but it is a concrete building and looks like it lost windows but the main building didn't catch on fire.

The fire got close to Ober Gatlinburg but never made it all the way up. Ski Mountain Road which leads to the top of the property has a majority of the lost cabins and chalets. The area has not seen significant rains in weeks and there is no telling what would of been the result if that line of rain hadn't come through. The aquarium and Dollywood were on the verge of having major damage if it wasn't for the rain.

So once again we are dealing with fake news being spread around and even owners of the properties are being duped into it? Ugh, what is the world coming to. First a bored dumbass sets a fire, then people are making fake news about things being destroyed to upset people more?!?!

Good luck to all of those truly affected by this terrible fire.

I don't think the info is fake, just wrong.. a lot was happening in a short amount of time and no one was allowed back in, not even today.. So rumors started flying.. the Aquarium is one of the only places that was even allowed into the area, and only their emergency staff.. I have friends fighting the fires up there and even they had no idea at times what was burning and wasn't.

I'm guilty of relaying the false reports too and I apologize, I didn't think that the picture didn't quite look right. I'll be glad for people to be able to return so we can get an accurate listing instead of one being relayed over and over again. Prayers for the ones that have lost their lives and the ones who were injured, and my heart goes out to all the ones that lost everything. We lost darn near everything we owned from record rain flooding and sewer backup so I can sympathize about how it feels to be nearly wiped out material wise but still be alive.

To be fair a lot of the "false information" you're referring to came from actual news outlets and reporters. I don't think its irresponsible to quote the news, and nobody who did so and inadvertently spread misinformation should feel bad about it. Not their fault.

That aside, I can't begin to express how glad I am that the damage isn't as bad as reported. My family just loves that area and this whole event has been heartbreaking to watch unfold. So I for one am glad most of what I've heard in the past day may be wrong.

We're talking about areas that are off limits and info that's coming from local authorities and TEMA. There's plenty of times where the media doesn't even bother to look at a wiki page, but it isn't like there's a 800 number to get straight talk from the fire about what it consumed.

While I agree the media is concerned about being the first to report, people as humans also want to be first to know so it works both ways. For example, people started posting on the Aquariums Facebook last night "why are there no updates on the animals".. well there are no updates because people aren't allowed in.. like previously said, these areas were closed off to people after the evacuation.. TEMA, Sevier County Emergency Management Agency, and the city reported a lot of the places that "burned" that were false.. I would personally consider TEMA and Sevier County Emergency Management Agency, as well as the city a reliable source.. Even though the actual wording they used was more like "It is very likely that Ober was destroyed" they should have never said a single word about it until they knew for sure.

I have a marine biologist friend that works at the Aquarium, and he said it was like pulling teeth to get their few "Emergency People" into the Aquarium to check on the animals.. No one was allowed in or not, not even the media..

With that being said, the real local media never really reported what has burned. I know one is linking to a crowd sourced map but that's nothing official.. it's all these bottom feeding news sites online spreading the false info like "wildfire" and everyone on Facebook this morning spreading false info.. I don't know how many post I read that said "oh no the strip is gone, everything, bubba gumps, old smoky moonshine, the shops all gone"

Edited by dstephe9

^ No, but there were plenty of people who didn't bother to read the articles or listen to the news and went on social media said things like "OMG Dollywood is burning to the ground!". That's the problem with most Americans, they don't actually read anything. They make assumptions on things based on the titles of the articles and news posts they see. I did a Twitter search of Dollywood last night and followed the feed most of the night looking for some real updates. Real and legitimate updates were few and far between. The rest was assumptions people made because they didn't bother to read or listen to the news they were receiving, which ended up not being very factual either.

that's one way to put some light onto this devastating event. worst fire in gatlinburg history :/ guess an entire school burnt down, the steakhouse is gone, bed and breakfast is gone, an entire hotel completely destroyed, same with many homes. I would post links to the articles but in a class right now.

sad day for sure. thank goodness it was not worse.

Any good news if the rains last night helped? It started drizzling at 8ish with off and on downpours, then poured for like a 45 minute stretch here in Nashville around midnight. I hope the storm pressed on to you all and helped out.

My thoughts go out to the people and communities in and around Gatlinburg.

Any good news if the rains last night helped?

I'm assuming so because I have not heard any bad news related to the fires this morning. The local networks have stopped interrupting regular broadcasting - also a good sign. It rained heavily all through the night in Knoxville.

My cousin came in from middle Tennessee to help fight the fires....waiting to hear from him when he checks in with the family.