TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

God this ####ing sucks. Could this year please stop ####ing dumping on us?

This.

2016 can go f#ck itself at this point - just more horrible news to pile on to this already horrendous year.

Hopefully they can get the fire contained soon.

^^By "okay" they probably mean that they're not burning right at this moment. Lots of people said it was burned completely down.

Coming straight from Ober Gatlinburg itself tells me more than anyone else says. They would know better than anyone else.

Edited by disneymoc

^^By "okay" they probably mean that they're not burning right at this moment. Lots of people said it was burned completely down.

Coming straight from Ober Gatlinburg itself tells me more than anyone else says. They would know better than anyone else.

Agreed, and they shared a video along with it.

While a lot of people (major news sources actually) are reporting Ober Gatlinburg as "totally destroyed", they posted 20 minutes ago on Facebook that the property is "okay". It sounds like they're a mess of conflicting information being reported, even by legitimate news sources. It may take awhile to sort things out. It does appear that Ober Gatlinburg is okay though, at least for now.

Because I hate misinformation...

Agreed, but tons of major news networks reported on it, so I don't blame anyone for sharing it. It sounds like there's understandably a lot of confusion in Gatlinburg right now.

They only reported it because TEMA got it wrong assuming it was destroyed.

While a lot of people (major news sources actually) are reporting Ober Gatlinburg as "totally destroyed", they posted 20 minutes ago on Facebook that the property is "okay". It sounds like they're a mess of conflicting information being reported, even by legitimate news sources. It may take awhile to sort things out. It does appear that Ober Gatlinburg is okay though, at least for now.

Because I hate misinformation...

Agreed, but tons of major news networks reported on it, so I don't blame anyone for sharing it. It sounds like there's understandably a lot of confusion in Gatlinburg right now.

Yeah, I have to be honest, I haven't put anything on the TPR socials because I've seen such crazy conflicting information. I don't think I've ever seen a news story like this where there is just so much information drastically incorrect.

Just a sign of the times I guess... *sigh*

and it's only going to get worse these next four years...

Aquarium just posted that their biologist are trying to get into the city for the animals and a recent radio interview with the GM said the building is fine

But I have been keeping an eye on their live cams that did recently go down finally.. hopefully that just means their internet finally died and not the power

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Part of the issue here is that while there's millions of tourists to the area every year, the actual area involved (especially Gatlinburg) is far enough away from a major population center that it is difficult to do things like get aerial shots of the fires. Lots of power loss and have led to cell phone cameras being inoperable too.

I'm also glad Ober posted an official update.. I had heard it was fine from a friend who had claimed to be up there then five mins later someone posted here that it wasn't.. so looks like people are on property at Ober and it's fine

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Now I'm praying that the Arrowmont and Mystery Mansion news isn't true either... Those are huge, irreplaceable losses. God I wish I had spent more time in Gatlinburg when I was last there.

I don't even want to think about how many cabins have been lost if the fires have gotten so close that those places are potentially gone though... This is a catastrophe.

Now I'm praying that the Arrowmont and Mystery Mansion news isn't true either... Those are huge, irreplaceable losses. God I wish I had spent more time in Gatlinburg when I was last there.

I don't even want to think about how many cabins have been lost if the fires have gotten so close that those places are potentially gone though... This is a catastrophe.

Arrowmont - not sure what you've heard - I've heard conflicting info - but they've reported losing two buildings, but the rest of the campus is said to be okay.

Yeah, Knoxville is the closest media market, where I live. They (the local news) broke into national broadcasting last night around 8 or 9 or so, but many were live streaming news coverage online prior to that. We have the three local affiliates and a few newspapers in the region to provide news coverage. I believe all helicopters in the area have been asked to remain grounded. Fire fighting helicopters and planes have also had to stop. For many, especially those of us that live here, this is completely unthinkable and difficult to accept, etc.

Looks like WVLT-cbs affiliate, has some aerial footage from Knoxville's 'traffic guy in the sky' on their facebook and webpage. I did not see any Dollywood footage, however.

Edited by coasterfreaky

It sounds as if they're slowly gaining the upper hand on some of these fires, but here's a pretty amazing (now viral) picture from last night at Dollywood's DreamMore Resort.

Cyb7LGgUcAA5OzT.thumb.jpg.07c00bb65cc15de59dc2e0e875d81a67.jpg

At this point I'm ignoring anything not accompanied by a picture or video or coming directly from the business in question. News networks are falling all over eachother trying to be the first to break any new news so they're frequently getting things wrong.

Edited by coasterbill

from SMAP's facebook page: Smoky Mountain Alpine Coaster did not have any fires on our property but will be closed this morning to assess the track from the high winds last night. We will post any new updates on our opening time. Please keep Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge in your thoughts and prayers from the devastating wild fires in the area.

Yeah, I have to be honest, I haven't put anything on the TPR socials because I've seen such crazy conflicting information. I don't think I've ever seen a news story like this where there is just so much information drastically incorrect.

Just a sign of the times I guess... *sigh*

Pete Owens did just confirm on air that the park is fine. They do believe about a dozen or so cabins have either been a total loss or damaged. That was the update that I saw on the news just now.

Also staying at the park will be closed tomorrow. And further assessment about this week and will be decided upon talking to the city.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

from SMAP's facebook page: Smoky Mountain Alpine Coaster did not have any fires on our property but will be closed this morning to assess the track from the high winds last night. We will post any new updates on our opening time. Please keep Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge in your thoughts and prayers from the devastating wild fires in the area.

Goats on the Roof have also reported in...

65217248_ScreenShot2016-11-29at11_41_04.png.847fb3b1da44d71c94d87a9f0417b52f.png