TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

Yup LR has paid lockers (one fee you can use all lockers in the park) underneath it beside the bathrooms..

I have never needed a pay locker though.. just take a backpack so you can keep your valuables out of site and place in the free bins. I have kept a $1000 camera in a bag before (not a camera case but regular backpack) without any issues..

Edit: (Also, I hope that the admins of this forum know how confusing inside jokes are when it comes to the forums sensors and new members and lurkers who just come here for information and never post.. just saying, I know most of us here get the jokes but they are super confusing to those who are new)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Yea as far as the cellphone goes I would give it to the ride ops because people have thought their phones were secure and the ride has literally drug them out of their pockets and the phones have hit others in the face. Either that or a guy I know had his phone crushed by the lapbar and said if it was on any other spot on the body it would've busted. I mean with all the force and airtime I don't doubt it at all. If plans go well this weekend I'm going to just place my phone with the hosts haha not risking anything.

DILinator -

Important to know:

Cinnamon Bread from the Grist Mill is food of the gods - do not miss it.

It is a moral imperative that you also get food from a Skillet

I'd definitely recommend seeing at least one show. I've found that Dollywood has some pretty fantastic offerings in that department.

David "Dollyfood" McCollum

^ It's also consistently the longest line in the park, so the sooner you head over, the better.

Truth.

MAJOR TRUTH. Sausage and peppers sandwich FTW.

I'd definitely recommend seeing at least one show. I've found that Dollywood has some pretty fantastic offerings in that department.

I also recommend it for the novelty of it, but keep in mind that the shows this time of year are targeted to a specific audience. I, an agnositc, somewhat cyncial, coastal elitist, clearly am not. As someone whose done theater before, though, I can certainly appreciate the quality of the productions.

DILinator -

Important to know:

David "Dollyfood" McCollum

Also, be sure to check the Mill for cinnamon bread before they close about an hour or so before they close to be exact.. especially this time of year, they miss judge how much to make.. I have already got buy one get one free Cinnamon bread once this Christmas season before close! Also for buy one get one free muffins at the bakery!!

Just a tip lol.. again this usually starts about and hour before close, sometimes two hours if it is really dead ha-ha.. The buy one get one free on muffins was actually about 7 o'clock on a day they closed at 9! Good deals for delicious food and make a good breakfasts lol

Not ride related but wanted to say how impressed I was to see Dollywood's trams carrying passengers at the Leconte Center for Dolly's concert on Tuesday. It is odd seeing the park's trams out and about on main roads and dodging cars and people. It was bound to be a stressful night for the tram operators as they were operating on unfamiliar roads along with other vehicles and pedestrians. Those long trams were trying to swing tight corners but they pulled it off.

Would have probably been fine today, I'm in Gatlinburg right now and it's still in the lower 40s so id imagine all of the rides stayed open at Dollywood.. was in the 50s most of the day when sun was out.. I was in shorts, flip-flops earlier today.. now I have a hoodie but still in shorts and am fine.

I was at the park today and everything was running. We were told that the Dollywood Express was indeed down due to the wildfires. Lightning Rod ran with both trains the entire day and I don't recall ever seeing any downtime with it. In fact, it was running very well but dispatch times were slower due to people with heavy coats having trouble with pulling the lap bar down. The ops repeatedly told everyone that if they're wearing heavy coats they need to take them off due to the "very restrictive restraint system". I was able to get a night ride in and got lucky with riding in the front row. All in all it was a great day.

There was a great periscope on twitter I watched from a backstage tour of LR that shows 3 circuits of riders enjoying their lives on the coaster haha You really get a sense of how fast it goes through the wave turn as well.

There was an ACE event at the park today, which I forgot to mention that was the reason why I was there today. I did participate in the behind-the-scenes tour of LR and it was the highlight of my day. Everyone captured some great shots of the coaster!

Well, I enjoyed my first ever visit to Dollywood on Friday, and Lightning Rod was amazing! It immediately shot (rod) into my Top 5! It ran well most of the day, only experiencing a little bit of downtime while we were in line once, and then again when something happened with the second train and they had to take it off the track. That led to a much longer line than had been the norm all day, but it was for an awesome night ride out into the pitch-darkness of the hillside! In total, I got 5 rides on it, mostly towards the rear of the train, or very back, but with one ride in row 3, which was probably my favorite ride of the day! I'd love to get on the front sometime, but as long as they're assigning seats (and I'm rarely going to DW), it'll probably be a while... Hard to say what my favorite part of the coaster is... The Quad down is awesome and intense, but after multiple re-rides, it's almost TOO intense, and makes Storm Chaser's violent double-down seem like child's play. Coming down off the wave turn was always pretty amazing, especially towards the front, where it seemed like less speed had bled off, and I got more hang time out of my seat. But perhaps the most consistently fun element was what I believe they call the "twist and shout", after coming down off the wave turn, and then coming back up and then curving down the opposite direction. That was so great, and again, SO different! LR definitely does a lot of new things, and takes older things to the next level, which is what ultimately puts it so high in my rankings! If there's one complaint about it, it's that it's too short. But honestly, it's so intense, if it were longer, say the length of The Voyage, it would probably put even that coaster's legendary status as unridable to some at risk! Bottom line: it was a long time coming, but LR is worth all the hype, and is definitely a marquee coaster everybody who loves coasters should get out to ride!

One thing "negative" I will say about the coaster though... The launch was cool, when it happened, and when you're starting up the hill. But then it lets off, you slow noticeably to crest the hill, and in the end, you're left wondering what the heck point or purpose that it really had in the grand scheme of things. When you take into consideration that it is also what is causing all or at least most of the troubles with the coaster, it makes the decision to go with the launch even more questionable. However, what's done is done, and even though it feels "gimmicky" as can be when riding the coaster, it still gives the ride a bit of character, and is true to the theme.

As for the rest of the coasters, I liked every one of them to varying degrees! Even Blazing Fury had its quaint charm, and the surprises at the end, were much enjoyed by me! Probably my second favorite coaster at Dollywood is the other woodie, Thunderhead, which I rode only once, and at night. It was fast, furious, and in the dark, just seemed like an out of control beast! Maybe I wouldn't have enjoyed it quite as much in the day, but as it was, I had a blast riding it, and it actually reminded me of my recent night rides on Ravine Flyer II as far as intensity (at night) is concerned. Considering I've heard mixed reviews on it, I found it to be a pleasant surprise! Wild Eagle and Mystery Mine were also highlights to me, and I appreciated Tennessee Tornado for being one of the best Arrow loopers, and some of the unique things it did, even if it was woefully short! Firechaser Express actually seemed cooler on the POV's I've seen than I felt it was in person, but I still enjoyed it, and look forward to taking my kids on it, as I'm sure they'll eat it up.

Pertaining to the entire Dollywood experience, I'd say it was a mostly positive one for me. The park is absolutely beautiful, and I appreciated that greatly! I look forward to taking a couple of days there next time I go, and to really go through the park slowly and experience it more fully. This was a trip down just to get on LR a bunch, and for me to ride all of the coasters (sans the kiddie coaster, as I typically don't roll like that! lol), so we didn't do much else. Don't worry, I DID get both a Skillet meal, and also the infamous Cinnamon Bread. My opinion on those iconic staples of the park? Mixed. The Cinnamon Bread was absolutely amazing, even heated up in a microwave and eaten a couple of days later (there's a story to why that was!) The Skillet sandwich was really tasty at the time... but I think I may have ended up with food poisoning from it, which really reared its ugly head a few hours later, after my night ride on LR. I ended up having to get the Cinnamon Bread, and beat a hasty retreat to the car to lie down and try to settle my stomach, while my friend got three more night rides on LR. So missing out on those extra rides really sucked. Furthermore, the rest of my night, and half of the next day, continued to go downhill, and without going into details here, you can imagine how bad and unpleasant things went, and you probably won't be wrong! I wasn't really eating until Sunday, and that's when I finally broke out the Cinnamon Bread with my family, and enjoyed it tremendously! Next time though, I really want to have it hot and fresh, as I imagine it's even better somehow. Next time, however, I WON'T be getting the Skillet meal!

Thanks to all those who offered advice, and though I know I let down all the show people, I will make an attempt to take in a show or two next time I'm there, when it's a more leisurely trip with my family! I'm glad to have finally visited this nice park, and look forward to returning, probably in 2018!

Words cannot even begin to describe how refreshing it felt to be back in a true "theme" park outside of Florida, especially on the level that Dollywood had. It was my first time there this past weekend, and being less than 4 hours away, I had no more excuses not to go. The variety and uniqueness in the park's coaster lineup was incredible. No two coasters felt the same and all were very enjoyable.

Mystery Mine ended up being my top guilty pleasure coaster due to its deep and consistent theming, but also managing to be just a tad jarring in some moments. Wild Eagle was plenty fun, especially with its placement high above the park. I had no idea what I was getting into with Blazing Fury, but was fairly impressed with its drops and surprises. Thunderhead was far better (and longer) than I had expected, and easily one of my top favorites at the park! Tennessee Tornado was a nice surprise considering how smooth it was for an Arrow looper. The force of the kick out of the station on Firechaser Express was surprisingly strong, but it was pretty excellent overall for a family coaster!

There's no surprise on my thoughts on Lightning Rod. I don't mean to add to the broken record of people chanting "all hail LR," but bear with me when I say this coaster was an absolute riot! I did row 8 early that morning after park opening and completed a lap around the park once, then successfully convinced my brother to join with me at the park and I got to ride row 2 with him. I don't think I had ever seen him (or myself) smile and laugh so hard on a roller coaster in a long while! The evening rides on it when it was pitch black in the forest made for arguably one of the best night rides on a coaster I've ever experienced as well. The coaster is very fast-paced and completely bonkers, and was worth the face-numbing frigid winds received during my two night rides!

There's still a lot I missed from doing the park (like the shows, and lots of the food), but I seriously hope to make a return visit someday!

looking forward to the whistle punk chaser and hoping for some nice themes. I think the theme for the ba-a-a coaster at europa park is the best for a kid coaster, would like to see something like that here.

would be awesome if Dollywood put in a hyper/mega coaster for 2018. they can shoot for the longest roller coaster in the theme park, maybe even go for some other 'firsts'

I'm starting to plan my next theme park trip, which will be Dollywood over my Spring Break in 2017.

I have a few questions

1. What is the best hotel to stay at in the area?

2. I know that the TimeSaver Pass is only like $30, but would it be necessary during the last week of March going into April?

3. For sure, I'll be starting with Lightning Rod. But after that, should I go counter clockwise (head towards Blazing Fury/Wild Eagle), or clockwise (head towards Thunderhead) to get the shortest lines?

4. Any seats on specific roller coasters I should know about to get the smoothest/best experience possible?

Thanks, any feedback is considered helpful!

^

1. The best hotel I have found in the area is the Clarion Inn on Parkway. When I stayed (nov)it was only 70 bucks a night and was a really nice hotel, very much worth the step up from the 40-50 dollar hotels in town. They had a really good breakfast where they made omelets cook to order. When you factor in how much you would spend on breakfast for a family it pays off to have a good breakfast at the hotel. There is also an indoor pool and hot tub, I believe even a water slide outside but it was too cold for it to open when I was there.

2. If you want to do shows during your day there then it is well worth it. The ability to reserve a show and just go there when it starts is a big advantage as you usually have to wait in line. If your just going for the rides it's debatable. It will come in handy for Mystery Mine and Firechaser. As of last week Lightning Rod was not on timesaver, if it is next year then I would recommend getting it. Even when all other rides were a walk on a couple weeks ago lighting rod was still 45 min.

3. It really doesn't matter. It's probably the shortest route to go up by WE/TT first and then work your way down to thunderhead. But you can go the other way also.

4. I prefer front on Thunderhead, better airtime. The other rides it really doesn't make much of a difference. They are all great in any row. The front on Mystery Mine is better because you can see all the theming better, but they assign which row you go to so it's out of your hands. Same for Lighting Rod, it is great in any row. I got front, back, and middle and they were all fantastic, with the front having a slight edge. I would recommend to try to hit Wild Eagle on the left side during sunset (front if you can) the view from the top of the lift is stunning.

Hope you enjoy your time, Dollywood is one of the few parks I would recommend to not go in with a set plan and just enjoy the day. You will be able to get on all the coasters no problem. I much prefer the quality over quantity approach they have to their coasters. There is not a dud in the bunch.

Edit: to clarify I mean the left side of Wild Eagle how it's orientated in relation to the track, not which direction you go in when the queue splits.

Edited by Devins3

The Skillet sandwich was really tasty at the time... but I think I may have ended up with food poisoning from it,

Next time, however, I WON'T be getting the Skillet meal! [emoji38]

Having eaten at the Big Skillet (both sides) multiple times with my wife and kids, plus never hearing another similar report, I'm inclined to think it's something else.

To go with that my wife and daughter were there for Dolly's concert last week (Tues and Wed) The both were sick after, ended up being respiratory infections when they got checked Sun. And their traveling companion picked up strep.

The DreamMore of course. Includes park tickets, TimeSaver at the park, free shuttle to park (and free parking at hotel)

I prefer cabins to hotels.

Lits of good choices in both categories.

Also some good condo options.

What are you looking for? Price range?

I've never wished I had the TimeSave in March (spring break period).

Honestly I'd go to TH first and loop around to finish with LR. The rest may be a let down right after LR

But starting from LR, there's more along the way heading up Craftsman Valley.

(Barnstormer, Slidewinder, Daredevil Falls though the last may be closed when you are there, same for River Rampage)

But if you go to TH first, then you end up coming down the Valley to good food or head to the Fair and train.

My thoughts on seats:

WE is great in the back while the front is best for the flight experience. Also ride both sides as there's a notable difference.

TH and TT I prefer the back.

FC is better in the front for the fireworks.

MM front for similar reasons, but no choice on it (never hurts to ask, especially if a slow day).

The Skillet sandwich was really tasty at the time... but I think I may have ended up with food poisoning from it,

Having eaten at the Big Skillet (both sides) multiple times with my wife and kids, plus never hearing another similar report, I'm inclined to think it's something else.

To go with that my wife and daughter were there for Dolly's concert last week (Tues and Wed) The both were sick after, ended up being respiratory infections when they got checked Sun. And their traveling companion picked up strep.

My friend ate there at the exact same time, and was fine. So it's possible it was something else. Regardless, it will always be associated with that sickness for me now. I still haven't eaten coleslaw again since I had a bad experience with it as a kid. Can't even smell the stuff now without feeling sick. Besides, the skillet meal was tasty, but not anything special in my opinion. Now the Cinnamon Bread? That's a different story!

I'm starting to plan my next theme park trip, which will be Dollywood over my Spring Break in 2017.

I have a few questions

2. I know that the TimeSaver Pass is only like $30, but would it be necessary during the last week of March going into April?

3. For sure, I'll be starting with Lightning Rod. But after that, should I go counter clockwise (head towards Blazing Fury/Wild Eagle), or clockwise (head towards Thunderhead) to get the shortest lines?

4. Any seats on specific roller coasters I should know about to get the smoothest/best experience possible?

Thanks, any feedback is considered helpful!

Early April, it's really a toss up if you want a time saver or not.. I have been there in early April and a TON of schools are there... This really creates decent lines for rides.. but I have also been there and only a few schools so everything was manageable..

I do find it to always be busier during the week in March and April than it is during the weeks in the fall even though schools are in session both times.. i think it has to do with young couples ready to get out and spend some time outside early spring so the go to Dollywood.. I notice more young couples at Dollywood early spring.. Plus you have the field trips.. early fall it's mostly older people for shows.. young couples (like me) seem to go for both.. Schools and Teens go mostly for rides it seems..

So my suggestion is not to buy it up front but to buy it if you see you will need it.. it's really a toss up

Edited by dstephe9

I agree, I'd say it's not good poisoning, now I will say that my stomach does get a little tore up everytime i eat Dollywood BUY Dollywood is the only place I eat greasier food at..

Now I'm not talking puking my guts out sick.. I'm talking, overeating and not used to grease blah feeling is all.. I normally get this feeling everytime i travel just due to eating out more than normal

I'd never associate it with food poisoning

My friend ate there at the exact same time, and was fine. So it's possible it was something else. Regardless, it will always be associated with that sickness for me now. I still haven't eaten coleslaw again since I had a bad experience with it as a kid. Can't even smell the stuff now without feeling sick. Besides, the skillet meal was tasty, but not anything special in my opinion. Now the Cinnamon Bread? That's a different story!

My daughter had a similar experience with crab. But she was already sick (runny nose, cough). Took a year or so to get her to eat it again. Now she never says no to crab.

I agree, I'd say it's not good poisoning, now I will say that my stomach does get a little tore up everytime i eat Dollywood BUY Dollywood is the only place I eat greasier food at..

Now I'm not talking puking my guts out sick.. I'm talking, overeating and not used to grease blah feeling is all.. I normally get this feeling everytime i travel just due to eating out more than normal

I'd never associate it with food poisoning

I have this exact same problem and it totally bums me out. I can eat 3,000+ calories a day at home without issue, but going out, everything is so heavy and it hits me really hard and makes it hard to enjoy myself. I just feel physically sick and tired. It's unfortunate because the food is all so tasty lol...