TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

When you take into consideration that it is also what is causing all or at least most of the troubles with the coaster, it makes the decision to go with the launch even more questionable.

The launch being the source of the problems is all speculation. Multiple people have stated it's not the launch system.

Only if RMC/Dollywood make an official statement will we really know, but I expect many here would still claim it was the launch anyway. They just can't fathom it being anything else.

Exactly, ride ops, maintenance guys, and a few other people have said the launch works beautifully.. Again, these aren't official statements or press releases but they are from inside the park so the launch might not actually be causing any of the issues

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

1. What is the best hotel to stay at in the area?

T̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶i̶m̶p̶o̶s̶s̶i̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶q̶u̶e̶s̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶a̶n̶s̶w̶e̶r̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶f̶o̶r̶m̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶.̶ ̶W̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶l̶o̶o̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶a̶ ̶h̶o̶t̶e̶l̶?̶

A̶r̶e̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶a̶ ̶b̶u̶d̶g̶e̶t̶,̶ ̶d̶o̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶w̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶c̶l̶o̶s̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶a̶r̶k̶?̶ ̶D̶o̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶n̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶s̶p̶e̶n̶d̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶ ̶l̶o̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶h̶o̶t̶e̶l̶?̶ ̶

H̶o̶w̶ ̶m̶a̶n̶y̶ ̶p̶e̶o̶p̶l̶e̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶g̶o̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶?̶ ̶A̶ ̶l̶o̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶c̶e̶s̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶s̶u̶i̶t̶e̶s̶ ̶/̶ ̶c̶a̶b̶i̶n̶s̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶l̶a̶r̶g̶e̶r̶ ̶g̶r̶o̶u̶p̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶e̶n̶d̶ ̶u̶p̶ ̶b̶e̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶

a̶ ̶p̶r̶e̶t̶t̶y̶ ̶g̶o̶o̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶i̶c̶e̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶s̶p̶l̶i̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶m̶.̶ ̶W̶e̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶n̶e̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶k̶n̶o̶w̶ ̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶a̶b̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶w̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶'̶r̶e̶ ̶l̶o̶o̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶g̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶

̶a̶ ̶g̶o̶o̶d̶ ̶a̶n̶s̶w̶e̶r̶.̶

Actually f**k that, stay here.

1. What is the best hotel to stay at in the area?

T̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶i̶m̶p̶o̶s̶s̶i̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶q̶u̶e̶s̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶a̶n̶s̶w̶e̶r̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶f̶o̶r̶m̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶.̶ ̶W̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶l̶o̶o̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶a̶ ̶h̶o̶t̶e̶l̶?̶

A̶r̶e̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶a̶ ̶b̶u̶d̶g̶e̶t̶,̶ ̶d̶o̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶w̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶c̶l̶o̶s̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶a̶r̶k̶?̶ ̶D̶o̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶n̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶s̶p̶e̶n̶d̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶ ̶l̶o̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶h̶o̶t̶e̶l̶?̶ ̶

H̶o̶w̶ ̶m̶a̶n̶y̶ ̶p̶e̶o̶p̶l̶e̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶g̶o̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶?̶ ̶A̶ ̶l̶o̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶c̶e̶s̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶s̶u̶i̶t̶e̶s̶ ̶/̶ ̶c̶a̶b̶i̶n̶s̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶l̶a̶r̶g̶e̶r̶ ̶g̶r̶o̶u̶p̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶e̶n̶d̶ ̶u̶p̶ ̶b̶e̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶

a̶ ̶p̶r̶e̶t̶t̶y̶ ̶g̶o̶o̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶i̶c̶e̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶s̶p̶l̶i̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶m̶.̶ ̶W̶e̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶n̶e̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶k̶n̶o̶w̶ ̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶a̶b̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶w̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶'̶r̶e̶ ̶l̶o̶o̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶g̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶

̶a̶ ̶g̶o̶o̶d̶ ̶a̶n̶s̶w̶e̶r̶.̶

I started to post something like that, then decided to go a different route.

Certainly not a bad choice. And free shine right there at The Island.

Not even far to stumble/crawl back to the room.

Rumor on the street is it is being refurbished (hopefully adding a light package) but no official word from anyone..

I do know they have been refurbishing rides in the fair area (dizy disc were down when the park opened this season I assume for refurbishing as well)

Hey all, we're going to be in the Pigeon Forge area in about a week and plan to check out Dollywood. I've never been so I hoped to get some "insider" tips. We've got 4 kids, so I probably won't get to do the bigger coasters. That's too bad, but its not what the trip is about anyway. So what should someone traveling with a bunch of kids know about Dollywood? Any specific kids attractions that are must-do's? Any certain order/direction we should do things? Which shows should we consider? I hear the Christmas parade is awesome, but where/when should we gather/stand/camp to get to see it the best?

Thanks all, I really appreciate it!

Hey all, we're going to be in the Pigeon Forge area in about a week and plan to check out Dollywood. I've never been so I hoped to get some "insider" tips. We've got 4 kids, so I probably won't get to do the bigger coasters. That's too bad, but its not what the trip is about anyway. So what should someone traveling with a bunch of kids know about Dollywood? Any specific kids attractions that are must-do's? Any certain order/direction we should do things? Which shows should we consider? I hear the Christmas parade is awesome, but where/when should we gather/stand/camp to get to see it the best?

Thanks all, I really appreciate it!

I haven't seen the new Christmas parade yet, so can't comment on that.. Hopefully I'll be able to see it this weekend or next week..

Aside from fire chaser express and a few small things here and there, most of the kid stuff will be located in the Country Fair area.. but do grab the car ride beside Lightening Rod (might do the cars early before Country Fair because it's line does get long) and do fire chaser early, it also gets long

If they are tall enough, blazing fury isn't bad for kids and I see a lot Enjoy it all the time.. it's very smooth now.. watch it on YouTube to see if you think they would enjoy it, but most children, even young ones, do

Also, make sure you make it up to see Rudolph and Friends at Holly Jolly Junction (unless your kids are told old for that).. I know Rudolph was in the old parade, not sure if they close Holly Jolly Junction during the parade or not for Rudolph to be in it if he is in the new parade (or shhh, they might have two Rudolph's)

As for shows, I don't really feel any of the Christmas ones are good for kids.. I have seen them all this year, and kids seem bored and antsy.. but that's just what I have observed.. Kids do like the light show around the big tree though.. it's a quick show and I usually notice kids watching it while eating lumberjack pizza (one slice will feed like three kids lol)

I'm not saying all kids are the same, just saying a lot seem antsy during the Christmas shows.. for example, during Christmas in the Smokies this year there was a girl, probably 5 or 6 in front of us.. Phones are not allowed due to them being bright.. the kid was very antsy and wanting to leave! Solution? The mom gave the girl a cell phone with distracted everyone around them more than the kid being antsy.. Finally someone complained and Dollywood made them turn it off.. They just got up and left saying they never seen a show that didn't allow cell phones (needless to say Dollywood announces it before every show) just like movie theaters do.. I even put my Android Wear watch on theater mode so it doesn't light up

I know, all kids aren't the same but the Christmas shows seem geared for older crowds or young adults. Kids seem bored.

Comedy barn is a whole different type of show and kids love it but it's not at Dollywood.. during the summer Dollywood also has a lot of shows kids love.. like bubble shows and others.. Christmas shows are just different there

My kids are 11 and 14 now but have went to Dollywood every Christmas sonce they were born. My kids have always liked Twas the Night Before Christmas & Christmas in the Smokies. Also, Comedy Barn out on the Parkway has always been a favorite for my kids.

When I was that age, I liked Twas the Night and O Holy Night, but hated Christmas in the Smokies. So it really does depend on the kid and how long of an attention span they have.

This is all really good feedback. Thanks to you all. My kids are 3-12 so it's hard to find stuff that appeals to everyone, so I appreciate all the input. We're really looking forward to the trip.

So anybody have feedback on the parade viewing? Some little-known gem of a spot for viewing?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Hard to find a gem of a spot on their old route, I'd imagine the new one is the same.. unlike Disney, they leave the route painted on the ground (or did in the past, where as Disney puts tape down shortly before the parade and then takes it up right after) so as you are on Main Street look for a white line on the edge of the road.. that is the line for guest to stand behind during a parade.. so just find you a nice spot early during the day, one that fits your needs, and try to come back before the parade and find a place.. That's a nice thing about Dollywoods parade! there are some spots where only a few people will fit but some spots that can get crowded.. again, if the lines are on the ground you can get a good idea how many people will fit in an area making it easier to plan out a spot.. Just like Disney Parades, the areas closest to the front are more crowded than areas further away.. again, watch and follow the line (if their is one, I'll see tonight)

If all goes like planned and I get off work before 3:30 like I hope, I'll be there tonight so I'll let you know

Edited by dstephe9

My kids are 11 and 14 now but have went to Dollywood every Christmas sonce they were born. My kids have always liked Twas the Night Before Christmas & Christmas in the Smokies. Also, Comedy Barn out on the Parkway has always been a favorite for my kids.

When I was that age, I liked Twas the Night and O Holy Night, but hated Christmas in the Smokies. So it really does depend on the kid and how long of an attention span they have.

Exactly, some of the shows can reach 60 mins or so.. Some are shorter.. (I'd plan an hr and half for its a wonderful life.. show is right over 50 mins plus factor in arriving early for it and getting out after it). Thats a lot of time for kids at an amusement park. This time of year, all the shows have a very Religious Christian undertone to them (I have seen people get up and complain and leave due to this) so just a heads up on that! But then again, Dollywood has never sugar-coated Christianity in anything they do which has never bother me (even have a Bible verse as you enter wild eagle) but I know this type of stuff bothers some so just a warning to those who might not be into that type of thing.. Dollywoods shows aren't really Frosty The Snowman, Santa Clause, non religious type of stuff this time of year, they are shows about family with the "true meaning of Christmas" type stuff. Again, some stuff that kids might find boring just because they don't understand what's going on if they have a lot of "drama" in them.

The Dollywood app has the lengths of shows and when they start but plan on arriving to most 15 - 20 mins early.. a show like it's a wonderful life (new this year) you might want to arrive even earlier.. when I saw it on a Sunday night, it filled up about 15 mins before it started. I arrived 30 mins early and was stuck sitting on the side towards the back. Excellent show but most families with younger kids got up and left halfway into the show. Not saying anything is wrong with that, but it does cause a distraction to those around.. I assume it was just because the show was so long and by that time most had been in the theater for an hr or so.

As a tip, there is no sneaking out of a Dollywood show.. when a host sees you coming, they come get you with a flashlight and help you out.. I know some get embarrassed bc of this, especially if they are trying to sneak out lol

Hard to find a gem of a spot on their old route, I'd imagine the new one is the same.. unlike Disney, they leave the route painted on the ground

I haven't seen the Christmas parade in a few years, but the last parade I saw they put up white (Dollywood logo) tape along the route. I think the paint was still on the pavement, but I think they were following a different route.

Then again, I may be totally confused and wrong.

As to good places to be, with young kids I'd go to the intersection of the main street (that runs past Showstreet, the bakery, and the candy shop) and the road to Chasing Rainbows and the Tour bus. Or the benches in front of the candy shop.

Edited by STDog

Hard to find a gem of a spot on their old route, I'd imagine the new one is the same.. unlike Disney, they leave the route painted on the ground

I haven't seen the Christmas parade in a few years, but the last parade I say they put up white (Dollywood logo) tape along the route. I think the paint was still on the pavement, but I think they were following a different route.

Then again, I may be totally confused and wrong.

As to good places to be, with young kids I'd go to the intersection of the main street (that runs past Showstreet, the bakery, and the candy shop) and the road to Chasing Rainbows and the Tour bus. Or the benches in front of the candy shop.

The Dolly parade followed a different route and they did put tape out for it, but still put it out very early compared to other places.. last Christmas parade I watched followed the paint route but this was a few years ago! Now, I didn't watch any last year so with all the LR construction going on, they might had a different route, not sure.

Some places do have tape still, but I think it's because the new pavement and road work they have done inside the park.. they didn't want to paint on it I guess haha

Unless something changes in the next five minutes at work I should be off in time to go tonight I'll try and update anyone about the parade if no one does it before me

This time of year, all the shows have a very Religious Christian undertone to them (I have seen people get up and complain and leave due to this) so just a heads up on that! But then again, Dollywood has never sugar-coated Christianity in anything they do which has never bother me (even have a Bible verse as you enter wild eagle) but I know this type of stuff bothers some so just a warning to those who might not be into that type of thing.

Undertone? It's overt and in your face.

Exactly what I'd expect given the Southern Gospel Music Association Hall of Fame and Museum in the park, the Kingdom Heirs (longest continuous act there, dating back to 1977, Silver Dollar City days ), and the annual Southern Gospel and Harvest Celebration.

It's not like country music doesn't have strong religious ties, and Dolly never recorded gospel albums.

That said, I never noticed the bible verse at WE.

Right now I'm here..

Parade Lines -- They do have painted blocks stuck to the ground for the parade path

Operations -- Honestly pretty pathetic tonight.. Food operations mainly are as slow and understaffed as six flags.

Crowds are moderate but F lot isn't but half way full..

Is Dollywood 11-9 tomorrow or 2-9? The app says 11-9 but a brochure I have says 2-9?

I'd probably go with the App. If they have decided that they want the park to be open longer because they are expecting better weather or something along those lines, it's easier to change the info on the app rather than changing brochures.

Is Dollywood 11-9 tomorrow or 2-9? The app says 11-9 but a brochure I have says 2-9?

Due to the Holiday Weekend I think they extended the hours tomorrow, I believe this was one of the days they mentioned earlier in the season they had extended when they added a few extra operating days.

I ended up not staying tonight, the operations were so bad it wasn't even enjoyable.. waited 50 mins for cinnamon bread and the lady at the counter took my gold pass and said "sir this is expired, can't use it" I politely said "mam you didn't even scan it" and she said "it says 2013 on it" so I explained to her that I renewed online like most people probably do and opted to keep the same card. I can't be the only one who does this can I? . She got snippy and said "I'll manually do it one time"

Still never scanned my card to see it was good!

After that instead of eating real food like I always do I just got a hotdog on the way out (who did scan it and it worked fine) and just left and went up to NOC to shop.. I'll eat the Cinnamon bread later tonight and I'll come back during the week for the parade, I was just fed up with them tonight ha-ha.. and yeah, the park was busy but not that busy.. they just seemed way understaffed, especially in food services.

I mean heck, even getting into the park I waited 10 mins to park.. they had only 2 booths 3 or 4 windows open at that time at the parking lot.

We went the Friday after Thanksgiving day. We knew it was going to be busy, but honestly the park had "all hands on deck" and operations were great. People were of course having to park at Splash country. As I expected closing was extended until 10pm on Friday night. They may have staffed well for Friday, since it's traditionally one of their busiest days, but didn't have enough staff to carryover for Saturday.

Didn't do much riding since I took a couple "newbies" to the park. We walked around, shopped, watched shows, watched the parade and ate at Aunt Granny's. I thought the new parade was excellent, it's about 10 or 15 minutes long which is much longer than in years past. It's very well done.

We rode LR twice, TH and BF once each. We actually got evacuated off Blazing Fury at the top where the waterfall is. It was neat to see what things look like in there with the lights on. Lightning Rod was amazing as always, running both trains with a 60 minute wait throughout the day - was "TC" twice during the day from what I noticed. Once apparently because someone had lost a wallet so they had to inspect the track before reopening. The second time they ran a few empties through, then maintenance was looking at one of the wheels in the front car. Lowered the train and put it into the shop, worked on it for just a but, then put the train back on. Ride was reopened in about 30 minutes.

My Canadian cousins were super impressed with the park, and are already planning a trip for August!

Edited by MindbenderManiac