TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

^From wingtip to wingtip is 60 feet.

And no, I was not able to ride today. I will get to do that on the 23rd.

^^ If I had to guess the truck came back there on the maitnenance roads that run behind the park and come down behind Adventure Mountain.

You are probably right. I believe that the only access to the Wilderness Pass section of the park from the maintenance roads are the gates between Wilderness Pass and Tennessee Tornado. That would still have to be some careful maneuvering even from the access roads.

Just curious-does anyone know where the actual entrance of the ride will be?

You will enter through the front of the station in the above photo. (Follow the sidewalk towards the opening next to that tree) If I am understanding it correctly, you will enter there and then the queue will wind around the bottom of the station towards the back stairs. The line will then split at the foot of the stairs. The staircases at the front of the station will be for the exit which will then follow the pathway towards and through the gift shop which is to the left and back in this photo.

Once again, thanks for the update ernierocker. Another question I had, did you get a look over at Timber Canyon? If so, was Timber Tower removed yet and is there any word on if that area is just going to sit empty this season? I imagine with Dollywood's creativity they could do something short term in the queue building.

^Didnt get a chance to head down that way but Timber Tower is indeed no more. They wasted no time removing it! The park is still deciding about what it's replacement will be. I Imagine they will fix the area up with something temporarily in the meantime before a new attraction is decided on.

Thanks for the update! Yeah, I also think the park will do something temporarily with the space as I just don't see them leaving it empty for a few seasons. I even imagine a little shop similar to those found in Craftsman's Valley would work there for a while as there isn't really a "unique" shop over there and WP.

http://themountainpress.com/view/full_story/17697606/article--Dollywood-to-take-over-SkyZip-?instance=homeleftlocal_top_stories

Dollywood to take over SkyZip

by DEREK HODGES The Mountain Press

8 hrs ago | 0 | 1 | |

PIGEON FORGE — The legal fight that brought a halt to rides on Dollywood’s newly-installed ziplines has come to a settlement that will see the theme park taking over that operation from the Hawaii-based company that started them.

The high-flying attraction was closed for several months in 2011, just its second year in existence, after a tree collapsed on one of the lines, rendering it unusable. That led to a lawsuit in which Skyline Eco Adventures, the tour operator, claimed Dollywood caused the damage with nearby construction, which Dollywood filed a counterclaim holding that the other company breached its contract.

Both parties signed a document ordering the case be dismissed with prejudice, meaning it can’t be filed again, but details behind that Feb. 10 filing in U.S. District Court haven’t been released. However, the document does stipulate that no one has accepted any blame.

For more details and the rest of the story, see The Mountain Press, on sale throughout the county or by subscription to your home.

Wow, it looks like they've done a great job of landscaping that area, I love all of those evergreen trees around the station, I hope that the ride area looks as good.

Opening day should be great, anyone that is considering going from Central Florida area may want to look into Allegiant Airlines, they currently have round trip flights out of Orlando Sanford Airport into Knoxville (less than an hours drive from Dollywood) for under $200 round trip.

Allegiant Airline

^ The zipline problem started a while back, the zipline wasn't even open most of the 2011 season! It was predicted that Dollywood would be taking it over.

As far as the eagle goes... I love how Dollywood has made me just as excited to see the plaza/station/gift shop/ect. than to ride the ride! They always to an incredible job blending their rides in with the surroundings. This ride is exactly what Wilderness Pass needed to make it "complete".

Here is the first video from Tuesday's Media Event. This video concentrates on the installation of the eagle sculpture and includes interviews with Kevin Stone (sculptor) and Pete Owens (Dollywood Public Relations Manager)