TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

Stopped through here on my way back to NJ from CP, Impulse was GREAT! The drop ruled, it's smooth, it's forceful and the layout is fantastic. It's really the perfect addition to this place, seeing this as you drive in is quite an awesome sight! It's nice that they compliment their awesome woodie lineup with this one now, adds yet another great coaster to the lineup there!

I was checking out the park's Web site and came across this photo of Flying Turns.

It looks like some terrifying contraption from a Saw flick. Well, at least it does to me.

It looks terrifying, but it is a fun ride actually. The side wheels help to propel the cars down the tracks and assist in making sure the car is in the center of the trough at all times.

I was checking out the park's Web site and came across this photo of Flying Turns.

It looks like some terrifying contraption from a Saw flick. Well, at least it does to me.

Yeah that's an example of a system having to be ridiculously overbuilt to comply with our hyper-safety (read: litigation) conscious society. I'm surprised they were able to keep the cars as light as they needed to be with those massive wheel assemblies.

It looks terrifying, but it is a fun ride actually. The side wheels help to propel the cars down the tracks and assist in making sure the car is in the center of the trough at all times.

Oh, I've ridden it--thought it was just "OK." But those wheel assemblies are frightening looking and impressive.

Pictures can be deceptive. I think in this particular photo, the grain of the wood gives the impression of a tremendous amount of speed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this thing isn't blazing fast, is it?

Those wheel assemblies are quite huge though.

Blazing fast, it's definitely not. I don;'t think it ever even hits 30mph. It feels quite a bit faster though.

It is a great picture for marketing though. I don't think I could have really picked out that it's the wood grain that makes it look fast, but now that you mention it, you're definitely right.

I think the illusion of being enclosed and the free swinging of the cars makes it feel a little bit quicker than it really is. According to the fact sheet, it maxes out at 24 mph. In reality, that makes it slower than most Wild Mouses. Who knows, Kozmo's Kurves may hit that on a good day. Still a great ride either way. Speed isn't the point of this coaster.

Pictures can be deceptive. I think in this particular photo, the grain of the wood gives the impression of a tremendous amount of speed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this thing isn't blazing fast, is it?

Those wheel assemblies are quite huge though.

While it never goes that fast, the speed actually depends a LOT on the weight of your car. The ride can range from "blah" to surprisingly crazy and out-of-control feeling, depending on if you've got some fatties sitting up front. Get your fat friends to ride with you.

I probably know the answer already but is Knoebels truly worth a 3.5+ drive from the New Jersey shore for a couple in their 20s? We haven't really been to a park like this before but have had fun everywhere else we've gone. This is last park other than Luna Park in Coney that's within a days drive and no hotel for us. We are thinking of going Friday and doing all the coasters probably minus Kosmo's Kurves. We will be doing Black Diamond, the Haunted House and probably the train. Any other must do's? We were going to eat at the International Food court but any food items not to miss?

On an off topic note, went to Morey's Piers last Saturday and had fun. Road Great White (GREAT), Sea Serpent (typical) and Great Nor'Easter (major oww). Nor'Easter may be the most painful thing I've ever ridden and I hadn't heard anyone mention it. I love inverted coasters so I was shocked. Idk if it's old age or the train they were running but it was TERRIBLE. Fun terrible- I wouldn't miss it.

Also @ Morey's don't miss their shirt shop ARTBOX, they sell these awesome shirts with the blue prints of the 3 major coasters on them. Bought Great White and Nor'Easter- very soft, fit well and were only $18 each with some discount they had running.

I probably know the answer already but is Knoebels truly worth a 3.5+ drive from the New Jersey shore for a couple in their 20s? We haven't really been to a park like this before but have had fun everywhere else we've gone. This is last park other than Luna Park in Coney that's within a days drive and no hotel for us. We are thinking of going Friday and doing all the coasters probably minus Kosmo's Kurves. We will be doing Black Diamond, the Haunted House and probably the train. Any other must do's? We were going to eat at the International Food court but any food items not to miss?

On an off topic note, went to Morey's Piers last Saturday and had fun. Road Great White (GREAT), Sea Serpent (typical) and Great Nor'Easter (major oww). Nor'Easter may be the most painful thing I've ever ridden and I hadn't heard anyone mention it. I love inverted coasters so I was shocked. Idk if it's old age or the train they were running but it was TERRIBLE. Fun terrible- I wouldn't miss it.

Also @ Morey's don't miss their shirt shop ARTBOX, they sell these awesome shirts with the blue prints of the 3 major coasters on them. Bought Great White and Nor'Easter- very soft, fit well and were only $18 each with some discount they had running.

The SLC's design (the great nor'easter,etc) is horrible. That's where the shakiness comes from.

There's a whole thread about Morey's here. Please post there, I'm the only one that ever does LMAO.

Also, those shirts are awesome but they only had them in smaller sizes, so I have yet to grab one. The Great White ones with the blueprints of the PTC trains are awesome. You can also get them in the store under KONG on Surfside. The Artbox thing is cool - they have some really cool prints people have done of the rides, particularly the coasters. I want to pick one up.

As far as the Nor'easter, after they installed the new trains in '08 it was running really well but something happened between 2013 and now. I haven't ridden it this year but any rides on it I had last year were scary rattly, like the train was ripping itself apart. Now with the airport security style wanding at the entrance, its just not worth it.

Other must do ride: Skooters (Bumper Cars), Downdraft, Stratofear, Flyers, Looper, Cosmotron, Carousel you have probably not experienced any of these rides before and if you have not in the form they run them at Knoebels.

You will get tons of opinions on the food not to miss, for me the one item I never skip is the Fried Cheese on a Stick at Totem Treats.

I'm hitting up Knoebels on Wednesday. Are Knoebels stations backpack friendly, or would I need to get a lo cker?

Backpack friendly, paid storage facilities are not available.

You will get tons of opinions on the food not to miss, for me the one item I never skip is the Fried Cheese on a Stick at Totem Treats.

Mmm . . . fried pepper jack cheese on a stick . . .

I probably know the answer already but is Knoebels truly worth a 3.5+ drive from the New Jersey shore for a couple in their 20s?

I'm only saying this because no one else will, keep your expectations realistic. Knoebels is as amazing as everyone says, but it reveals itself slowly, even over multiple visits. When you first arrive, you may be very underwhelmed, just because of the overall "small carnival in the middle of nowhere" atmosphere, which is very different from any corporate park. Some people never get past this and walk away disappointed especially if they're traveling any distance for it. Everything that's great about Knoebels is in the details. Relax, enjoy the scenery, get lots of rides on the Phoenix, and it's totally worth it. Just give yourself time to warm up to it.

Luckily, Phoenix is the one ride that can not be spoiled for you, no matter how many times you hear about how great it is. It will STILL catch you by surprise.

I probably know the answer already but is Knoebels truly worth a 3.5+ drive from the New Jersey shore for a couple in their 20s? We haven't really been to a park like this before but have had fun everywhere else we've gone. This is last park other than Luna Park in Coney that's within a days drive and no hotel for us. We are thinking of going Friday and doing all the coasters probably minus Kosmo's Kurves. We will be doing Black Diamond, the Haunted House and probably the train. Any other must do's? We were going to eat at the International Food court but any food items not to miss? .

Yes it is well worth it me and my wife were in the same situation about 4 years ago. We were a couple in our 20s that went to a bunch of parks just for the rollercoasters, hated almost all flat rides and Knoebels is about the same distance for me. We Debated all year on whether a park with a measly 2 rollercoasters (at the time flying turns wasn't open and black diamond is more of a dark ride) was worth it. We finally went to Dorney in the morning,did Knoebels in the evening for the 5-10 wristband and haven't stopped going back since! It is now the park we go to more often than anything. There is something intangible about that place that can only be felt by going there. You will not be disappointed! If you are hesitant just get 5-10 wristband. If you go let us know how it goes!

P.S I would recommend going all day if you want the best Knoebels experience because the flat rides and food are just as much of a draw as the coasters. Be prepared for dogs to be there too! Something about having dogs walking around the park really helps the atmosphere subconsciously more than I think it does.

Edited by Devins3

Are Knoebels stations backpack friendly, or would I need to get a lo cker?
Backpack friendly, paid storage facilities are not available.

Even better during single train operation because there's no risk of stuff getting lost. During that time they also don't mind when you set smaller items such as sunglasses and water bottles right near the train (as opposed to in the designated area).

I probably know the answer already but is Knoebels truly worth a 3.5+ drive from the New Jersey shore for a couple in their 20s?
I'm only saying this because no one else will, keep your expectations realistic. Knoebels is as amazing as everyone says, but it reveals itself slowly, even over multiple visits.

I definitely agree with this, especially in regards to the front half of the park (Impulse, Downdraft, etc). It may come across as a carnie-style park upon first glance because there's lots of asphalt and rides just kind of plopped down where it's convenient. Even in the more secluded back area, there are very few "real" pathways and lots of gravel areas. However, the park really encourages you to kick back a bit and simply explore the nooks and crannies, with very little punishment for doing so (no admission, no commitment).

Oh, and ride Kozmo's Kurves. I don't care. Just ride it. You know you want to deep down.

Oh god yes. We would drive 23.5 hours to get to Knoebels if we had to.

We will be doing Black Diamond, the Haunted House and probably the train. Any other must do's?

Yes. Knoebels has a brass ring carousel which I believe is the only one left in America. Sit on an outside horse and grab the rings (lol word filter). Also, the flyers are the best I've ever ridden and basically everyone would tell you the same. Don't miss these and ride them a few times if you have to to figure out how to snap the cables. They have a drop tower, Stratosfear which looks average but it absolutely ridiculous and most importantly they have Lusse Auto Skooters which are easily the best bumper cars in America. DON'T MISS THESE, they'll ruin every other bumper car ride for you but it's worth it. They have a very cool Chairlift ride also and a great flume.

As far as other ride suggestions, do you like flat rides? Honesty if not you may not be as big a fan of Knoebels as most people (you should still go though just for the rides you mentioned, the rides I mentioned above and the coasters). If you like flat rides, Knoebels has a great selection and everything is run on great programs with long cycles. Just about every flat ride at Knoebels will be 10x better than it's counterpart in a corporate park. We're huge fans of Downdraft, Looper (a very unique ride), Paratrooper, Fandango and a ton of others. They have a Satellite which is not the most comfortable ride in the world but it's worth riding because it's so bizarre.

We were going to eat at the International Food court but any food items not to miss?

Ceasari's pizza is very good but our favorite thing in the park is the Pierogies. The park has 2 kinds of Pierogies though and the ones you want are located near the Alamo in the front of the park. Don't get them from anywhere else. Those are good, but they're not amazing. Basically all the food is good though, the ice cream waffles are great too and the bakery (that looks like a huge loaf of bread) has great cookies.

On an off topic note, went to Morey's Piers last Saturday and had fun.

If you enjoy that type of park then you'll love Knoebels.

Totally random by the way but if you like old school Mini Golf they have a great course. And while we're talking about games, Fascination is an absolute blast.