TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

PortAventura Discussion Thread

It looks like a great expansion for the resort. Great to see a new coaster with the drop ride pre-planned. The other race track ride looks like that is a kart ride. All in all, should be quite striking visually. Although, I think the front of the hotel is a tad odd looking.

Looks like a cool addition; however very unexpected. So Port Aventura will have two Intamin drops towers and two Intamin accelerators?? I'm glad another massive KK-like coaster is being built, but Port Aventura would have been far down my list for expectations. Still looks very cool though!

I'm liking the look of this! From what I'd seen/heard I didn't think Ferrari world had done particularly well financially but if they're licensing again I guess something must have gone all right! This puts another visit to Spain in the crosshairs come 2016/2017!

I wonder if "the tallest vertical accelerator in Europe" is more a licencing thing with intamin. 2016 is still quite a long way away and another park could quite possibly build something taller, maybe even a polercoaster in Europe. Maybe PA has an agreement with intamin that would forbid them from making a taller launch coaster in Europe until after 2016 (but not in the states or japan etc). It could still be taller than Kingda Ka, but they couldn't announce the tallest in the world only for something else to be announced later this year at another park so it has its thunder stolen when 2016 rolls around. If it has an agreement with intamin then "the tallest vertical accelerator in Europe" is something they can state confidently and if it turns out to be the tallest in the world at that time too then all the better!

I think PA will do at least 350ft, cos the drop tower they have is over 300ft, so they need the drop tower higher, i think they might go to a strata,, like 401ft, but i dont think they want the hight record, as there is many places to get the highest coaster... so i think it will be about 120mph, as it will be fastest in europe and nice to see PA With something new, so much investment gone into the park, shambhala in 2012, that splash battle thing this year (so much great theming) and now this! a full on themed land with a intamin coaster + intamin drop tower + a huge 5 star hotel, PA invested alot of money into this...soon to be 1 of the best in the world if they keep investing like this (:

VOTE SHAMBHALA FOR TOP COASTER IN GOLDEN TICKET AWARDS PLEASE, ITS SO UNDER RATED!

^To accommodate the drop tower

I'm not sure if all those supports would be necessary for a drop tower. If you had a ride like stealth and attached one to it the supports would mostly be close to the tower and not expanding further back like Kingda Ka's so I'm not sure if the structure would need to be so complex.

VOTE SHAMBHALA FOR TOP COASTER IN GOLDEN TICKET AWARDS PLEASE, ITS SO UNDER RATED!

Didn't it place 4th or something in Mitch's poll last year?!

Anyways, aren't accelerators like KK and TTD really expensive to run? Wouldn't it be cheaper to go 260ft and just take the tallest coaster in Europe title but still be cheaper than going 300-400ft?

So PortAventura will have two Intamin drops towers and two Intamin accelerators??!

Furius Baco may technically be an Intamin Accelerator coaster, but the trains and height between the two are so different that nobody will notice.

This looks like a cool addition to PortAventura. The existing theme park already looks amazing so this is the icing on top!

Isn't there a proposed Ferrari World in South Korea? If so, could this mean we could see a Ferrari-themed park come to America sometime in the near future if they plan to continue creating parks?

Like Robb said: these are concept arts. And whoever drew this, probably based it on Kingda Ka. It's that simple.

They have to surpass the 100mph or 160kmh to break the European record. With that speed and given the fact that it probably will be a TTD/KK lookalike, we should see a coaster of around 90 meters (300ft).

So personally I'm betting on the fastest and highest coaster of Europe, but without the drop tower (artist based it on KK and why build one that's lower than Huracan Condor)!

^The thing is, when they use the word accelerator they could be just talking about intamin hydraulic launched coasters (although I believe they mean launched rides in general) and the fact that they add the word vertical makes things even more confusing to me.

Also I would find it a bit strange if the artist had bothered to draw the drop tower while it would be somewhere else. This may be just concept art but I'm sure there has to be some accuracy to it, right?

2 new images were posted (from what looks like a newspaper) on pa-community by markittush95.

(Translation: "Among other rides, the park will be home to Europes fastest vertical accelerator which will be taller than 76 meters ... as well as various simulators of race cars")

(Translation: "[...] the fastest roller coaster in the world [talking about Formula Rossa, I'm assuming]. In Portaventura, The centerpiece will be a ride (In the style of Furius Baco [i'm assuming this is referring to the fact it will also be an accelerator, not the wing seats]) that will be the tallest and fastest vertical accelerator in Europe. The new attraction will once again drastically change PortAventura's skyline given that it will be taller than Shambhala (which is 76 meters tall). There will also be various areas with simulators [...]")

Taller than shambhala?

It's going to be really interesting to see how this one turns out. I can imagine Intamin using the new track style, but also after the innovation with the supports on the main lift for Skyrush and I305, I can see them using a brad new support structure. When they are going over Shambhala's height it would be weird if they didn't go for the 300' mark.

Wonder if the drop towers is actually going to happen or not.

^Don't forget that 300 feet means nothing for most of us in Europe, you probably know that (given that you also live here). The 100 metres mark (328 feet) is something more significant, I would guess.

Taller than Shambhala sounds great! It would be nice to see an accelerator around the giga range since there aren't any in that range right now.

I think it would be interesting too although I can't say I would rather have one over a strata.

Have any of us considered that maybe the (potential) drop tower on this coaster will be a launched drop tower?

In the case that It will go up with the coaster, maybe a little delayed to provide time for the coaster to clear the top hat, and then fall back down with the coaster too?

I think this would justify a second drop tower for the park, whether or not it exceeds the current height of their drop tower.