TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

I've heard some whispers about Tidal Wave (I know, same old, same old). One thing they might be considering is removing TW and actually moving the Moon Cars over to that area at some point.

What seems most likely to me is if SFStL continues the 'recent' trend of essentially replacing rides with newer versions (ala Skyscreamer, Tsunami Soaker, and JL:BfM). With a bunch of rides (especially flat rides) really getting up there in age, it would help to spruce up the appearance of the park while continuing to provide essentially the same experience. One in particular that I think could be a candidate is Highland Fling. It'll be 40 next year, and although they had the refurb last year with new (relatively speaking) gondolas, it's probably getting harder to maintain and is down a lot more for maintenance issues this year than it seems like it has been in the past. A good replacement would be a Zamperla Endeavour, like the one they just opened at SFOT. The complete refurb of the Carousel that's been talked about for a while has been pushed back a few times, so that might come in the next few years as well (it is 101 years old, after all).

The main issue with the Tidal Wave idea is the cost for new utilities back there, or so I was told by a the Director of Rides. That rumor does have truth to it.

One in particular that I think could be a candidate is Highland Fling. It'll be 40 next year, and although they had the refurb last year with new (relatively speaking) gondolas, it's probably getting harder to maintain and is down a lot more for maintenance issues this year than it seems like it has been in the past.

Highland Fling is having the same issues that it has had for years and is not at risk for removal. Tidal Wave is certainly a more likely candidate as its age is beginning to catch up with it and popularity seems to be rather low.

Loved Higland Fling as a kid and my oldest loves it as well, I even liked it into my 30s. Now it is just to much for to long. So sad.

13450858_1196384567041170_5206648782479768397_n.jpg?oh=f9744232d42f33be11a32d4e9e677b7a&oe=57D8842E

Rush Street Flyer opened yesterday under it's new name and theme : Gravitor.

Apparently La Ronde did a lot of work on the ride and got a lot of new mechanical parts. It's the beginning of a second life for this "Falling Star" ride.

I went on it today. It looks pretty boring when you look at it, but it's actually a fun ride. I think La Ronde's customers will be glad that the park got it. The park was lacking family rides.

Thanks for sharing! Looks very nice there!!!

I have not posted in a long time but recently caught up on the past year or so of posts.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (just not in that order)

The Bad

We had moved back home to STL a few years ago and was really enjoying bring my sons to SFSTL as my parents staring bringing me in 72. We spent most of our time at the water park as my youngest just didn't like the thrills, but my oldest and I had great times getting sick riding all 9 coasters in 1 day a few times. Lol

Bought 4 Season Passes and 3 meal plans on sale Labor Day 2014 and then in November my wife lost her job. Unfortunatly she is in a very specialized industry so it meant we would have to move.

The Ugly,

All those passes went unused in 2015 as we moved in June to a city with no SF and no amusement park at all. It has a water park but it is just so, so. Never got a chance to check out JL.

So sad.

The Good,

We landed in Columbus, Ohio Baby! 1 1/2 hours from KI and 2 1/4 from CP! Just bought 3 Cedar Fair Platinum Passes and 2 meal plans! Went to KI for 1/2 day last week and wil likely go back in the morning. (Weather looks iffy up north). My youngest is finally into coasters and rode The Bat, The Beast, Diamnondback, Stunt Coaster and Banshee on his first trip!

These passes cost a lot of coin so probably will not be able to make it back to good ole SFSTL for awhile but have hopefully in the next couple of years.

The Really Bad Ugly

Well with all the turmoil and spending six months as a single Dad eating crap food with my boys I really let myself go and am now to fat to ride any of the good stuff. I am on the way back down but there is no hope for this season, but nothing like standing there watching your kids get on awesome coasters for motivation on sticking to the diet plan.

HWFan, Prozach, TNT, HarleyJB and all the rest of you regulars are great guys and make sure you let me know if you make it to Ohio and maybe we can meet up and have a beer. Well a Diet Coke for me. .

Congratulations on making your way through all of that!! Good luck with getting the weight back off, but it sounds like you shouldn't have much of a problem doing that.

13450858_1196384567041170_5206648782479768397_n.jpg?oh=f9744232d42f33be11a32d4e9e677b7a&oe=57D8842E

Rush Street Flyer opened yesterday under it's new name and theme : Gravitor.

Apparently La Ronde did a lot of work on the ride and got a lot of new mechanical parts. It's the beginning of a second life for this "Falling Star" ride.

I went on it today. It looks pretty boring when you look at it, but it's actually a fun ride. I think La Ronde's customers will be glad that the park got it. The park was lacking family rides.

Thanks for sharing! Looks very nice there!!!

Six Flags should give this sorta attention to all rides whether they are new or not... It looks awesome.

Maintenance was working on Superman at the top today, so hopefully that means it won't be down for too much longer.

I'm not sure if the pictures posted earlier in the thread showed this, but I noticed as I was walking past the former Calico's that there are now signs up on the outside listing various foods (presumably the new location's menu) and the first thing was indeed fried chicken.

Just got back from a day and a half at Carowinds... I think I'm going to pass out for a while, now.

I am on the way back down but there is no hope for this season, but nothing like standing there watching your kids get on awesome coasters for motivation on sticking to the diet plan.

If you're looking for something different, trychanging to a mostly paleolithic eating lifestyle most of the time. (notice I didn't say diet, which is temporary) You can eat delicious foods, cheat on the occasion, and you'll feel great. Good luck, man.

Great that they are bringing back a fried chicken place, they can definitely prepare it already since they have served fried chicken at ACE events we have attended. My son and I will be at the ACE CoasterCon starting on Sunday and lasting most of the week at SFSL and HW. Then we are leaving a few days later for our family summer vacation and will stop at CP on the way to New York; and at the end of the vacation will hit SFGAdv.

That's a lot of roller coaster riding in a short time but I know it means everything to our son. You've all heard of soccer moms......well I consider myself an amusement park mom

At SFSL today, and Fowl Ball should be ready tomorrow. HOPEFULLY it can alleviate some of the food issues at Mooseburger. Got in to the park a little after opening (about 10:45am) and did the traditional "what's the story with Justice League today?" checkup. Of course the ride wasn't open yet. BUT, the line wasn't prohibitively long in waiting. Asked the employee at front of the entry doors if it was down or safety testing, and he indicated that they were still testing. And that it would open soon.

He was correct, and our choice was rewarded with a pretty short overall wait (maybe 15 minutes). The line moved way faster than I've ever seen, which was awesome. However, screen two was down. Nothing doing there. When we got off I informed the OP and she just shrugged and said "yeah, everyone is telling me that". Great response! I'm also becoming increasingly confident that in a cost cutting move, six flags is having their employees show up at the last possible moment...resulting in the testing cycle being delayed EVERY DAY. JL seems to need extra testing each morning, start that sucker earlier and be ready. It is your flag ship ride. Treat it as such, as your GP does!

The park was DEAD for the first two hours, which I chalk up to most of the GP hitting the water park first. Got to ride a ton in that time.

One frustration is that the drink machines at Mooseburger were out of ice. BY 12:30!!!??? What the heck? We were there for an hour. Never any ice. We're in June. On bring a friend free day. A Friday. And this happens? They only had two expeditors at the food line (putting food into baskets), which was causing a horrific line situation.

Lastly, I long for the day that both sides of the log flume are running. I miss the immediate climb.

A screen wasn't working in Justice League and there was no ice at Moose Burger. Maybe it just came off the wrong way, but it seems like you really let that bother you. I completely understand, though. One of the soap dispensers in the Fury bathroom wasn't working at Carowinds on either day, so I made a point to piss all over the sink, throw a drink in an employees face, and we left the park for good. We won't be returning anytime soon.

Well, that escalated quickly.

My daughter has been waiting to ride JL for quite some time. We finally got on (it has been down consistently when we're there) and the ride was incomplete. I guess I should have asked one of the ride ops to piss in a cup for me so I could wash down my disappointment with something warm...given that the park wasn't expecting guests to want any cold beverages on a hot day.

So...park visit reports should be confined to praise only?

WTF MAN?

A screen wasn't working in Justice League and there was no ice at Moose Burger. Maybe it just came off the wrong way, but it seems like you really let that bother you. I completely understand, though. One of the soap dispensers in the Fury bathroom wasn't working at Carowinds on either day, so I made a point to piss all over the sink, throw a drink in an employees face, and we left the park for good. We won't be returning anytime soon.

So...park visit reports should be confined to praise only?

No, but your comments real of "bitching for the sake of bitching". Seriously, ice? Ever hear of "don't sweat the small stuff"?

I'm not getting all of the backlash...but whatever.

I've been lurking for months, reading endless bitching about not getting a first class ride, OMG the Boss is rough, food service is an issue...ad nauseam.

My entire post wasn't negative, and we did have a great day. My experiences at SDC, CP, HW, WOF, VF, and...hell adventureland...never involve the two types of issues I commented on. They were out of the norm for me, and I shared them. Didn't expect the dogpile for it. I know my home park lags behind those other parks, but these issues seem silly and easily correctable without major capital outlay.

SFSTL is my home park. It seems stuck in a bit of a self-fulfilling spiral...little significant improvement, unique gp attendance drop (read: non pass holders), revenue reduction (pass holders spend much less in the park), no new big ticket rides, rinse, repeat. I do wish it could return to glory...but it is what it is.

TNT, thanks for your perspective, as it makes sense. In five visits to the park in the past two seasons though, JL has yet to start within the first 30 minutes of park opening. It may also be nice to alert riders that part of the ride isn't working. Controlled expectations help alleviate disappointment.

My piss comment was in response to the belittling comment made concerning equating the issues with soap dispensers being out. I don't get why it's shrug worthy to wait in a food line for an hour, buy two beverages for ten bucks each on a hot day, and expect ice. What a bitch I am.

I anticipate more shade, but this will be my last response to it. I love humor (coffee, slot machine, etc) just don't get the hate. Peace.