TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

C'mon guys, you can't expect new rides every year.

This is designed for one thing, to keep guests in the park longer until closing. That will help the per cap situation even more as families stay and eat another meal, buy more merchandise and play more games.

Its a pretty smart move on Six Flags part.

Don't be so dissapointed, the press release said NOTHING about a new ride. I think some people read WAY too much into it.

THATS GAY I was expecting a good ride like a rocket coaster or a screamin swing...or anything execept a stupid show type thing Im so disapointed

~Matthew

Ew. Get over it.

We ALL knew Six Flags was taking a hiatus with big spending on big budget roller coasters and thrill rides when Snyder took over. This is Shapiro's vision of a complete family-inclusive day at one of his parks becoming a reality. I personally feel it's a VERY VERY good move on whoever's behalf that green-lighted this production. This only reinforces his claimed commitment to transforming these parks into places where the parents don't feel odd-man-out because of their weak stomach for thrills.

How can this be a bad or lame thing in ANY way? After a tiring day running around spending countless dollars on food and souvenir items and queuing for rides --- the entire family sits down together at night for about an hour or so to watch a Cirque-du-Soleil inspired show with lights, lazers, bizarre costumes, enchanting music, and acrobatic stunts. It definitely gives mom and dad a good reason to say "okay" to a Six Flags trip in 2007.

It's ridiculous how some of you were really expecting some Rocket Coaster or Intamin wood coaster. The park installed TEN RIDES last year -- regardless of their size and thrill-factor. TEN RIDES is A LOT.

I can't say I'm suprised. Two things that made me guess that it would be a show: (1) Great America recieving a new show (2) "Entertainment" in the press release.

I know a whole crapload of people are going to be unhappy about this. But, before you make any harsh generalizations, see the show. See how it is. Just don't complain until you see what it truly is going to be like.

In fact, you SFOT-ians should be pretty happy that your park will stay open until 11 each night during most the summer! This totally reverses the trend that parks have been using.

Who knows, this show could be pretty damn good! Just give it a chance, okay?

"If you thought this year was big, wait til you see what we have in the 2007 season!"

I'm gonna cry.... THIS IS NOT BIG!!! A new fancy circus show is the LAST thing SFoT needs, it alread has like 3 places where shows can be performed! It's not the theatre capital of the world, its the entertainment! And I dont know about you, but I see more entertainment in a new ride or something like that than seeing some crack-pot acrobat hang from a stick.

Wait, maybe this is shapiros plan, make all the teenagers die off and lose interest so the families are the only ones coming to the park! It's working!

At first when I read the article... i was pretty upset and annoyed. However, we do get some good out of it.

1. The park at night will look pretty cool with all of the lights everywhere.

2. With everyone piled in the large Music Mill... hellz yeah, no lines.

3. 11:00... nuff said.

Of course... SFOT is in the need of a new roller coaster. Out line up... while amazing to many... is lacking in some areas. The park has no mega-loopers from B&M or Intamin.

SFOT... in my opinion... is one of the parks that actually does a great job of attracting families. But I think that SFI my be trying to push the family aspect a bit too much. SFI is one of the few chains that have many locations that cater to teens. Yes, Cedar Fair is in that markes somewhat... but their parks are not in as many locations as SFI parks.

Basically... the move is a good addition... but... we do need a new thrill ride. Some of those 9 (one is a fountaion) new rides were nothing more than a marry go round that you would find outside of a supermarket (but... with boots!)

-Andrew

Wow, I can't believe how negative the reaction to this is! There's more to entertainment than just coasters, y'know. I think this sounds like a great thing for them to be adding to the park, and I would definitely consider going there for an evening to see it if I lived in the area. If this show is anything like the real Cirque du Soleil show, it should be awesome. It will also probably keep people in the park later, which means extra food and souvenir sales.

I, for one, think it's a fantastic addition. If it proves successful, hopefully similar shows will find their ways to other parks in the chain.

-Julie

Sorry, it's not a rip-off. Six Flags never guaranteed you a coaster or thrill ride. You all over-speculated and were disappointed when your speculation was wrong.

It reminds me of the stupid Apple fanboy websites. They all go nuts before product announcements, and come up with crazy rumors like "3D Video iPod with Bluetooth Wifi Coffee Maker Butt Wiping" and then are disappointed when it turns out to just be something realistic.

It's also not a rip-off because you haven't put a single penny into Six Flags pocket. If SFOT said "HEY COME TRY OUR NEW 500 FOOT INTAMIN ROCKET" and then you got to the park and it was just this show, then it's a rip-off.

Seriously, the collective outcry from all you fanboys because SF didn't deliver what YOU wanted is hilarious.

I'd be happy the park is getting anything at all. These companies spend millions to entertain you, and all you can do is whine about them getting what should be a mildly entertaining show? Pathetic.

Now, while I feel that a show like this was not what they should've invested in, it is still a step in the right direction. If they did something like this for SFMM, it'd make more sense, as there needs to be more family stuffin that park, as it has been completely neglected by SFI since Shapiro came into play. You see all these parks getting new family areas for 06 and 07, and SFMM, which needs it a LOT more than, say SFGAdv (Which already has 2, and is getting another to replace the old one), as all SFMM has is this crappy kids land with horrible looking rides.

I still feel that this was a good move for the park, and it should turn out well.

Yes, yes. It does seem like they REALLY wanted a new roller coaster next season.

Here's what we'll do. Us SoCalers will trade Flashback for your Cirque show. That way, you get your "new" roller coaster, and Magic Mountain will finally have something worthy to see, rather than do.

In the heart of rural Africa, teens in numerous communities are starving and dying of thirst and lack of medicare. Meanwhile, in the sprawling Texas scene...teens are falling apart from despair over a broken promise...spawned by false assumptions that a big shiny new roller coaster would come to Arlington in 2007. *tear* LIFE IS SO NOT FAIR!

Wow, I can't believe how negative the reaction to this is! There's more to entertainment than just coasters, y'know.

True that, but you do have to take a step back and see that, we're all "theme park" enthusiasts not just "roller coaster" enthusiasts, and from where I see things, the majority of the people in this thread really don't find this offering that attractive for one reason or another.

That's not to say that the people here are the ones that should be making the park's decisions, but if I were a park, I'd use this and other type of forums as a "sounding board" to get some feedback from people who ARE park enthusiasts.

I know that when we started work on the Transformers video game, where did we go to for some research? Transformers enthusiast message boards! Some of the feedback was agreed with, some we didn't.

Whether or not someone thinks this is a good idea or a rip-off isn't really the point, it's more as what this is "perceived" by the guests of the park.

Before any of us were "enthusiasts" we were your common park goer, and it seems that we all pretty much went to parks then for the same things that interest us now.

For example, I have NEVER been a 'show' person. I probably see about 1 park show a year, and usually it's the Bill & Ted show at Halloween Horror Nights! So even today, when I go to a park, I'm looking for something less "passive." Roller coasters, flat rides, dark rides, shooting rides, water rides, etc.....

So when I take a step back and look at this thread and see that the majority don't think this is a good idea, I have to stop and think "How much guest research did the park do before they decided this would be the direction to go?"

On another note - it's kind of interesting how Universal also announced recently a new show (Blue Man Group) and that was met with a mostly positive response.

Maybe there is some merit in the idea that "Six Flags just isn't the right fit for a show like this...."

Just give y'all something to think about...not really stating an opinion one way or another at this point.

--Robb

I agree with the idea of your posts Robb and realize Premier did a bad job, that doesn't really change the fact of how far in debt they are and how adding rides recently has not helped. Add to the fact that it was said they will not be adding a new coaster, yet half of this site is mad because it was not a new coaster. Now I am definately not a show guy and I have no idea if this is a good move, I guess I am curious what people think it should have been. Had it been a coaster we might have been happy, but wouldn't we also be saying I knew Shapiro didn't mean it or see SF really has not changed.

Just my 2 cents.

Its funny but until the invitations for the announcement went out; there was no discussion of a new ride at SFOT. Then the announcement went out and everyone expected a coaster reading a lot more into it than it really was.

This is not a circus. I don’t think most people who are complaining read the entire press release. This is something that will change the entire park at night and offer shows that are intended to keep guests in the park. The park will be open later and have some different offerings.

SFFT has a show that does the same thing with the "Lone Star Spectacular". If SFFT took out that show there would be a huge outcry from the locals that visit the park. Would this message board care?

Back in the "glory" days of Six Flags parks most parks had a show near closing, usually a fireworks show designed to keep people in the park and send them home on a good note. Fantasy of Fire at SFAW was a perfect example of this.

I still say this is an excellent move by Six Flags. It’s something the entire family can do together and if it serves its purpose it will pave the way for new rides by increasing spending in the park.

There is no convincing people who believe a new ride is the only way to go, but history has shown that is not always successful.

I would say wait and see what it is like before immediately judging it to be a rip off. To be honest I am much more excited about this than the new Journey to Atlantis at SWOT.

Six Flags never promised anything close to a new rollercoaster. What they said they would do is make the parks more family friendly and that’s EXACTLY what this is about. I really do not understand the complaints. All Six Flags is doing is what they said they would do.

This is not a circus. I don’t think most people who are complaining read the entire press release. This is something that will change the entire park at night and offer shows that are intended to keep guests in the park. The park will be open later and have some different offerings.

You have to understand a little bit of our skeptism. Especially if you've read anything about what's happened at some of the other Six Flags parks this past season.

SFMM had a GREAT start! Every week we saw vast amounts of improvements and all the Shapiro changes were amazing! Then July came, so do the massive crowds and it all went to hell.

It was really a let down for those of us who were really enjoying the "improved" park.

If they could really pull of the "illuminated park at night" that sounds GREAT! But I really wonder if it will look the same in September as it does in May.

And honestly, I really don't see a lot of "complaints" here...sure people might be dissapointed because it might not be what they wanted, but I don't really see that as "complaining." If anything, I find it interesting to see what people want and don't want from parks.

There *IS* something to be learned from people's responses to something, positive or negative. If you're expecting everyone to welcome anything new with a glowing response, then your expectations are unrealistic.

And just as a side note, Six Flags has already announced a few coasters for the 2007 season, family coasters yes, but then again so is Maverick and that seems to have plenty of people excited.

In fact, it looks like Six Flags St. Louis is DEMOLISHING a theater building in order to make room for a new coaster!

Again, I'm not being negative about the "show", but you have to understand that it's not what everyone looks for when they go to a park.

--Robb

And just as a side note, Six Flags has already announced a few coasters for the 2007 season, family coasters yes, but then again so is Maverick and that seems to have plenty of people excited.

--Robb

Really...which parks??

--Robb

Really...which parks??

I believe that Six Flags Fiesta Texas and Six Flags St. Louis are both getting spinners. Perhaps they might not have been officially announced yet.

In fact, it looks like Six Flags St. Louis is DEMOLISHING a theater building in order to make room for a new coaster!

--Robb

Hmm, I mean this isn't what I was expecting but it is true to what Shapiro said he wanted to do. I have to agree with you Robb on how once the crowds came in at ALL parks, it seemed like the vast amounts of improvements made had just dissapeared. I hope this is not a recurring theme throughout Shapiro's reign.

^Good thing St. Louis finally getting something new, they derseve it and from my understanding it is one of the better run SF parks if I am correct.

Again, I'm not being negative about the "show", but you have to understand that it's not what everyone looks for when they go to a park.

But then again, how often is it that a Six Flags park goes out of the way to bring a new major non-ride addition in such as a Cirque-du-Soleil inspired show?

Then take that and make a comparison to how often they (used to) install multi-million dollar thrillrides...

Sure, I can perfectly understand some people's disappointment with this announcement, but there is ALWAYS going to be that group of disappointed people because there is never any one thing that pleases EVERYBODY.

At least with this show, it shows how the current management realizes that stepping away from ride attractions CAN be a great alternative and a way to make up for entertainment options that were long neglected and laid-off due to their impractical fixation with mega-budget coasters for the past half decade.

If anything...the question of "what does Six Flags Over Texas have an adequate amount of and what department do they lack in" shows Six Flags is really trying to balance out the kinds of things people can experience at the parks. They have an adequate amount of roller coasters and thrillrides for every age and every type of person. But I don't believe for a second that their live entertainment department doesn't have room for improvement and expansion.

I'm in the same boat as you Robb. I go to amusement parks and usually never take in a show, EVER. Not because I don't like shows...it's just that I'd prefer to spend my time on rides instead. However, you can't ignore that relatively BIG group of park clientele that really doesn't do it the way you and I do it...the kind of people that DO take a break from roller coaster riding and seek alternate forms of entertainment. Sure, it's a disappointment to the coaster loving folks, but if you cynics just think for a brief moment...you'll realize this new show is nothing but beneficial to park goers and the park itself for MANY reasons.

I have no real interest to see a Cirque show, but I do think it could keep people in the park longer as it is a well know name.

What I find funny is all the people who expected a ride even after Shapiro has said there will be no huge additions for awhile. For those who say this won't bring in the people like a new ride, if that was the case why is SF in such financial peril considering they have done nothing but put in rides for the last 15 years. What they were doing before did not work and as much as we enjoy rides we should realize they have to try something new.

Success or failure on this endeavor will take time but at least its a different approach.

While I do agree that parks need more than "big rides" over and over again, I'm not sure the answer is the current "let's go cold turkey and give the masses nothing but family attractions and shows."

I agree, wouldn't a family park have something for the kids, normal people, and wacked out "I don't care if thng kills me" kinda person?