TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 611: Full Halloween Horror Nights 2021 lineup revealed!

the first coaster in the U.S. to feature a free-fall vertical drop

Auf wiedersehen with your bullsh*t

I have no interest in Potter but I love Intamin and I'm super hype for this ride. 7 launches? WUT. But yeah, the world needs more Intamin launchers.

Thanks for all this awesome coverage, as always! Related, they've been playing ads on local Philly TV like crazy for this ride. It's weird to see long, elaborate TV commercials for a specific roller coaster, as the majority of ads for GreatAdv, Dorney, Hershey, etc that I see are just general park ads that usually will quickly mention the name whatever new attraction is opening/has opened.

Thank you for such an awesome new look at this coaster!

It definitely looks like they leveraged the old queue's existing infrastructure, which while smart fiscally, I'm curious to see just how much of the inside was touched, given how heavily built out the old Dueling Dragons/Dragon Challenge tunnels were... I'm hoping that they did a little to the interior than they did when Dueling Dragons became Dragon Challenge.

I'm really loving how these Intamin launched coasters are springing up all of a sudden... While I wouldn't have sacrificed the Dragons for this, it at least seems like they've put in a lot of effort for the coaster to use the plot of land for more than just a brief experience. A coaster with story was more of what I was expecting with Gringotts, where with that we got more of a dark ride with a coaster segment, so I'm curious to see how their take on the inverse turns out.

That being said... I don't know how anyone from Universal could pass the red face test over the claim that this is the first vertical free fall drop segment on a coaster in the US... As others have mentioned, Verbolten was the first to claim that title years ago.

I decided to do some digging to see if Universal could get off on a technicality. I know enthusiasts have argued if things are a true freefall or a controlled drop in the past. Maybe Universal was claiming Verbolten's wasn't a true freefall?

But per the Zierer website, their drop track does include a portion of the drop that is a true freefall.

Zierer Drop Track

I decided to do some digging to see if Universal could get off on a technicality. I know enthusiasts have argued if things are a true freefall or a controlled drop in the past. Maybe Universal was claiming Verbolten's wasn't a true freefall?

Verbolten doesn't count because it's in Germany, silly.

I like this reason better why Universal is claiming it's America's first.

Maybe they just googled the ride, saw where it was located, and legit thought that?!?!

28771841_ScreenShot2019-05-20at1_42_03PM.thumb.png.77eca5a50488a428a51b7480cf600d20.png

Besides the weird claim that it's the first freefall track or whatever, I'm kind of surprised that they openly discussed and published details of the free fall and the backward track spike in the press release. Seem kind of strange to give away the surprise elements of the attraction before it's even opened, but maybe it's not that big of a deal.

I also didn't realize until these new pictures of the train that the motorbike seat isn't really a motor bike coaster seat like most were expecting, it just looks like a regular seat maybe slightly more elevated than that side car. The trains looks fantastic but I'm not sure the two sides will feel all that different now.

So one of my blogger friends actually asked Universal about Verbolten and this is the response they received:

"Verbolten at Busch Gardens Williamsbrug features a drop, but this is achieved through a high speed elevator system — not a true free-fall. So, our statement is still correct."

According to Zierer's statement on their Vertical Drop element:

"In this specially designed coaster component, rapid velocity and freefalling, two ride sensations of the extreme, will come to a unique peak. With the Vertical Drop Element, the train plunges 5 meters downward of which 2 meters occur in total freefall."

http://www.zierer.com/en/products/coasters/vertical-drop-element.html

Edited by robbalvey

So for all the discussion a while back about how to divide up guests who want motorbike style riding vs sitting in a side-car, it looks like in this picture that both are just regular seats as opposed to one side being Tron lightcycle style seating is that correct?

Assuming the drop track on this coaster is identical to the one on Thirteen, I felt no difference between the Zierer and Intamin versions of the element.

Agreed. And I've done Verbolten, Thirteen, Darkmare, and Polar X-Plorer and they all felt exactly the same to me.

Did they even need this 'North America first' to begin with? I think a new Harry Potter ride sells itself without the marketings teams need to justify why they can ignore Verbolten.

Did they even need this 'North America first' to begin with? I think a new Harry Potter ride sells itself without the marketings teams need to justify why they can ignore Verbolten.

Yeah, I have to be honest, I'm not exactly sure why they felt the need to go with some of those "Six Flags" type of marketing "world's first...North America's first..." etc... To me if they just said "New Harry Potter ride" is pretty much all they needed to get people to show up at the gate...

The Universal Orlando Resort has announced the next original content haunted house that will be offering up scares at this year's Halloween Horror Nights!

215665274_DepthsofFear.thumb.jpg.95359daf40e5942037ede7566c4c4dcf.jpg

https://blog.universalorlando.com/whats-new/depths-of-fear-at-hhn-2019/

If you have a fear of water and what lies beneath, your skin will crawl with this new haunted house at Halloween Horror Nights. Depths of Fear mixes all the elements of the unknown with underwater elements, monstrous creatures and a countdown to a disastrous fate.

Story

The workers of a deep-sea mining company have found themselves in a dire situation. They’ve delved too deep and encountered a parasitic race of creatures that turn out to be deadly. Panic ensues as you find yourself encountering infected miners and acidic creatures. The pressure builds as the self-destruct sequence counts down to the inevitable implosion of the facility.

“Mouthbrooders”

As you venture further into the depths, you’ll encounter the creatures known only as the “Mouthbrooders.” Picture being trapped in a claustrophobic mining installation underwater with a countless number of these slithering monsters. Your worst nightmares will come to life as these fiends spew flesh-eating acidic eggs at human hosts, and you witness miners being driven mad by the infection.

Event Details

Halloween Horror Nights returns to Universal Studios Florida on select nights from Sept. 6 – Nov. 2. This year, you’ll experience 10 haunted houses, 5 scare zones, live entertainment and more. Choose a night and get your tickets now!

LAST CHANCE: Don’t miss out on the limited time ticket offer and exclusive vacation package for Universal Orlando’s Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios Florida. Offer ends 6/5/19.

I enjoyed your Hagrid video enough to finally make an account and start posting! Great videos and previews as always.

As a huge Harry Potter fan I love that Hagrid is getting his own ride. The motorbike theme is so clever and I’ll definitely have to make a trip down there some day. Can’t wait to hear the impressions after you folks to get to ride it.

I'm glad that the seating isn't like TRON at WDW. This is more practical for everybody who wants to ride this coaster, but can't ride the TRON one. But I am curious how pairs of people will be seated beside each other? And groups who want to stay together, side by side, etc?

The Universal Orlando Resort has shared a first look at the new dining options available at Beach Break Cafe, the casual dining food court at Surfside Inn and Suites, which will begin hosting guests on June 27th, 2019!

https://blog.universalorlando.com/food/surfside-food-and-drink/

If you’re anything like me, one of your favorite things to do while vacationing is to enjoy delicious food and drinks. That’s why I’m bringing you a first look at the food and drinks you’ll be able to try at our newest extra-affordable Value Hotel, Universal’s Endless Summer Resort – Surfside Inn and Suites, opening June 27.

At Beach Break Cafe, the casual dining food court at Surfside Inn and Suites, you’ll be able to take a break from your adventure in the parks and dig into some surfer-inspired dishes, featuring Southern California flavors and fresh ingredients. Just like surf culture, Beach Break Cafe dares to be different, offering food and drink from around the world in a care-free, cool and exciting setting from early morning to late at night, all within a family-friendly hotel.

This casual dining food court will be open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Inspired by food trucks, local joints and backyard BBQs, Beach Break Cafe’s menu will be super affordable and offer something for everyone from unique cuisine to comfort food.

Here’s just some of what you’ll find on the menu at Beach Break Cafe.

BREAKFAST

Bacon Egg and Cheese Croissant

Served with Breakfast Potatoes

33A9722_SurfsideBreakfastCroissant-1-1.thumb.jpg.39c613e8d371add379310415905e1463.jpg

Breakfast Pizza

Sausage Gravy, Bacon, Scrambled Eggs, Mozzarella, and Cheddar Cheese

33A9750_Surfside_BreakfastPizza-1-1.thumb.jpg.c1afde908923a57c73e8f3602d2146a5.jpg

LUNCH AND DINNER

Italian Ciabatta

Ham, Capicola, Genoa Salami, Provolone, Red Onion, Tomato, Shredded Romaine, Pepperoncini, Red Wine Vinaigrette

33A9763_Surfside_Ciabatta-512x731.jpg.72539a1db1f048f306a29c614ccecd1e.jpg

SoCal (Southern California) – Cobb Salad

Southern California is a region known for light, clean and unique flavors.

Chopped Lettuce, Tomatoes, Avocado, Blue Cheese, Bacon, Hard Boiled Egg and Avocado Ranch Dressing

33A9785_Surfside_SoCalCobb-1.thumb.jpg.0409b8da946fb481742ead5079e89308.jpg

Caprese Panini

Tomato, Mozzarella, Fresh Basil, Balsamic Glaze

33A9862_Surfside_Pannini-1.thumb.jpg.c45253c88ca116ceb7587c026d694ddd.jpg

Pipeline Burger

This burger is inspired by the classic wave — one of the most famous and most photographed waves.

Beef Patty, Topped with Caramelized Onion, Bacon Jam and Provolone Cheese Served with Crisp Lettuce and Vine Ripe Tomatoes on a Toasted Bun Tofu Power Bowl with Baja Sauce

33A9897_Surfside_PipelineBurger-1.thumb.jpg.5e5ad1bd46a827daea8dd7350b82770e.jpg

Tofu Power Bowl with Baja Sauce

If you’re more of a carnivore, you can choose chicken or carne asada for this dish as well.

Cilantro Lime Rice, Quinoa, Kale, Red Cabbage, Pickled Carrots

33A9797_Surfside_TofuPowerBowl-1.thumb.jpg.7491ee4cc18bc932d17acd13b3ee6710.jpg

Planning to spend the day at the pool soaking up the sun or looking to enjoy some refreshing drinks while you hang loose? Throw on your board shorts and head to Sand Bar, the laid-back pool bar at Surfside Inn and Suites. Here’s a taste of some of the drinks we’ll be serving up poolside.

33A0033_SurfsideCocktailLineup.thumb.jpg.d15d58907c931a5468e49b637e0b1f7e.jpg

Orange Surf Board

Orange Vodka, Coconut Rum, Triple Sec, Orange Juice and a splash of Cranberry

Tidal Wave

Endless Summer Rum, Peach Vodka, Gin, Peach Schnapps, OJ and Pineapple Juice

Surf En La Paloma

Tequila, Blood Orange, Grapefruit Juice and Soda

Epic Sunset (Frozen)

Vodka, Mango Colada and Strawberry Island Oasis

Toasted Coconut Mango Mojito (Frozen)

Coconut Rum, Mango and Mojito Island Oasis

Must be 21 years and older with valid identification to purchase or drink alcoholic beverages.

Are you ready to take a Beach Break? In the comments, tell us which dish or drink you’re looking forward to trying.

Edited by jedimaster1227

• 2 weeks later...
  • coasterbill changed the title to Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread