TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USF, IOA, Epic) Discussion Thread

P. 625: Harry Potter Ministry of Magic revealed!

Found an interesting article by the National Ledger...

It is brand new and a bit bizarre and will hit Universal Studios in Orlando next year. The Rockit Roller Coaster is billed as true high-tech, customizable, multi-sensory entertainment. According to a report from the Orlando Sentinel the exciting new roller coaster is planned to be big, bright and brash enough to become the new visual symbol for the theme park when the coaster opens in about a year.

A release notes that the exact layout of the track has not been revealed at this time, but the official announcement stated that the roller coaster track would be placed between two existing facilities, "Jimmy Neutron's Nicktoon Blast" and the "Blue Man Group at the Sharp Aquos Theatre" show in Universal CityWalk, and include track that crosses over portions of CityWalk itself.

According to Walt Disney World, guests can "customize their ride experience by choosing what song will play while they’re on the roller coaster. LED boards in the queue lines will display song options from five genres (classic rock, rap, country, pop and soundtracks). Once on-board, guests can choose their song or let the coaster’s digital sound system choose for them."

And get this, when the ride is over, guests will be able to customize footage from their experience and compile it into a take-home music video.

Aah... so close.

I just find it funny that they can get the "Sharp Aquos Theatre" right but they mix up the actual tourist destinations... maybe it's because they mentioned "according to a report from the Orlando Sentinel" earlier on?

Found an interesting article by the National Ledger...

It is brand new and a bit bizarre and will hit Universal Studios in Orlando next year. The Rockit Roller Coaster is billed as true high-tech, customizable, multi-sensory entertainment. According to a report from the Orlando Sentinel the exciting new roller coaster is planned to be big, bright and brash enough to become the new visual symbol for the theme park when the coaster opens in about a year.

A release notes that the exact layout of the track has not been revealed at this time, but the official announcement stated that the roller coaster track would be placed between two existing facilities, "Jimmy Neutron's Nicktoon Blast" and the "Blue Man Group at the Sharp Aquos Theatre" show in Universal CityWalk, and include track that crosses over portions of CityWalk itself.

According to Walt Disney World, guests can "customize their ride experience by choosing what song will play while they’re on the roller coaster. LED boards in the queue lines will display song options from five genres (classic rock, rap, country, pop and soundtracks). Once on-board, guests can choose their song or let the coaster’s digital sound system choose for them."

And get this, when the ride is over, guests will be able to customize footage from their experience and compile it into a take-home music video.

Aah... so close.

I just find it funny that they can get the "Sharp Aquos Theatre" right but they mix up the actual tourist destinations... maybe it's because they mentioned "according to a report from the Orlando Sentinel" earlier on?

No wonder we get so many tourists confusing the two. Idiots.

• 1 month later...

Screamscape has got pictures of the layout and ride details. I must say that it looks and sounds awesome. Some really unique elements and stuff that has never been tried before from the sound of it. Between this and Seaworld, WDW better step their game up. It doesnt seem like Universal wants to play second fiddle anymore.

The rest of the images are here:

http://www.screamscape.com/html/universal_studios_florida.htm

Wow, this is a lot more extensive than I thought it was going to be. I really like Universal Studios, I'm glad that they're giving me a reason to come back! I was kind of bummed when I heard that they decided not to go with a B&M mini-hyper coaster, but now I'm actually happy about it (assuming that this doesn't turn out to be rough).

I don't think that people have actually read the article properly. You do pick your music before the ride, and listen to it, and during the ride you are recorded on the video camera. From the Maurer Sohne website it looks as if the cars have cameras in the seats. Anyway after the ride you get the chance to edit the video and email it to people.

Giving the through put of most roller coasters, I can't see them having enough space to accommodate people at an 'editing station' (i presume it must be some touch screen information point style job)

I don't know how this is going to work and I look forward to seeing more information about this.

I'm also glad they didn't go with a B&M hyper coaster. There are just too many in Florida that I think this X Coaster will reallly stand out. Also, anyone else notice that in the flyer on Screamscape, the text says that this is USF's first coaster. Do they not consider ROTM a coaster?

Thats weird that it says that this is their first roller coaster, they have to consider ROTM one. It must just be a misprint or the person that did it is confused, haha.

This might sound a little odd, but Rockit reminds me a lot of Maverick at Cedar Point in regards to the fact both coasters contain a bunch of really cool and unique elements all on the same ride. There's no dead spot on Maverick and there shouldn't be one anywhere on Rockit. Universals new attraction sounds like an awesome concept and will probably be executed pretty well, however, I would have more confidence if Intamin was doing the project instead of Maurer-Sohne. The ride should be quite popular with everyone and I guess that I will have to experience Rockit when I travel to Florida again in a couple of years.

• 2 weeks later...

Small update on the Rockit.

While out at the park today for a TV shoot and the grand opening of Simpsons ( will have photos later of simpsons opening) I got a couple photos of the Rockit.

Work has started at least the beginning of the work. Lots of markers are about in the front area of the Blue Man building out in front of the park.

The is one piece of machinery starting to tear things up where the ride will go. I have heard that the ride will get done in phases and looks like the first phase is going to be up in the front of the park. Didnt see much else pertaining to the ride. Couple other photos can be seen here http://www.johnnyupsidedown.com/new2009rr.html

Couple of photos below from today.

r2.jpg.f5aada20412c6a41934da764315246c6.jpg

r1.jpg.fb4efb7b6f72af08422027316765ec35.jpg

Why was everyone was having trouble finding a tie in between DD and HP? I don't know, but maybe it is just me - I think it would be totally easy to fit DD in with the new stuff - and with minimal change! True it was 4 dragons in the Tri-Wizard Tournament, but it easily can be switched over. (Maybe this can be where the forest area mentioned earlier can have caged dragons? Just me dreaming up a scenario now..lol) I have personally never been inside on this ride though... (As I used to be chicken and haven't been back yet) so I do not know what is in there to change. Any which way you look at it... the Lost Continent to me will be 10 times better once the change is complete. It is one of my least favorite lands to walk through. Does anyone know when the soft opening is? I have to plan my trip around that next year.