TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Michigan's Adventure (MiA) Discussion Thread

Michigan's Adventure is a rather small park. The park needs a drop tower, and I think one of those Larson/ARM drop towers would work really well. They're not too tall, and seem to be something a small park should get.

I feel that a Larson Tower would work perfectly for this park. For some reason, I have a feeling that if they were to get a flat next year, it would be a Larson tower.

Hm... I wonder if Larson could sell them a drop tower. I mean, Cedar Fair has bought 5 sets of gliders from them, so I wouldn't doubt that they could purchase one for here. I don't really see an S&S drop tower coming here because they're fairly maintenance intensive due to the pneumatic systems, at least that's what I've heard about them, and also the height requirement is a bit high, 52" is high for this park when most of the attractions average out to 48". Also just because CF has bought one certain kind of ride in the past, doesn't mean that's who they stick with.

That's really the big major ride they're missing in their lineup and hopefully some form of a drop tower is on the way. A Larson Super Shot tower would work perfect, 140ft tall (well under the 215ft height limit for the park,) 48" height requirement (much more family friendly,) and maintenance on it is fairly light; no complicated system to run it. And also its a true free-fall, unlike the S&S towers which are all pneumatically controlled.

The ARM drop rides are amazing but as an enthusiest, it makes me sad that this is the conversation you guys are having regarding new additions to a chain owned park.

A GCI wouldnt break the bank would it? Come on Cedar Fair!!!

Every park should have a dark ride of some sort! The triotech rides are cool because they can be updated as technology improves.

With that said, screamscape said that MiA MIGHT be getting a chance mega coaster next year. That would be very good news considering how mopy ya'll are and how you all seem to be excited for even the most minimal of additions.

Cedar Fair isn't neglecting the park just because they don't get a major attraction every couple years. Compare Michigan's Adventure to other small parks around the country. Those other parks don't get major attractions often. Cedar Fair is managing a smaller park the way it should be managed. Attractions of any kind will be added when it makes sense financially. It sucks waiting years for a coaster, but you have to be patient. Hopefully a Chance Hyper GT-X is coming in the near future and the "negligence" will be forgiven and forgotten.

If the park adds something next year I can see it being a Zamperla Skater Coaster. Cedar Fair seems to like these and I think it will be a hit. I do agree that a smaller drop tower would be a nice addition at some point. A smaller pendulum ride would be nice too.

There should be a

"MICHIGAN'S ADVENTURE IS NOT A DYING AMUSEMENT PARK"

disclaimer on every page of this thread...

Michigan's adventure did NOT get nothing new this year. Their entire point of service system got a massive overhaul. It was an infrastructure year. To strengthen the park behind the scenes. To make things more efficient.

That's not something you do to a dying amusement park. That's something you do to a park that's about to expand.

That aside, I don't know about a dark ride, but maybe the park is on the list for one of those small section of the park additions like ValleyFair just got. That could bring in a couple of nice new flat rides.

I don't think think Michigan's Adventure is a dying park. It's a smaller park that's doing quite well for the market it serves. I think a lot of the disappointment stems from having the Cedar Fair label on it, and being a CF park makes people instantly expect more. As much as a big new coaster like a B&M would be appreciated, I just don't think they're ready for one. Maybe they will be ready in another decade or so, but as for right now, I'm afraid it might not work out.

That being said, I still think MiA should still add something small for 2015 because when the general public starts noticing that there haven't been any new attractions added for a while, people will lose interest and attendance could drop.

I don't think think Michigan's Adventure is a dying park. It's a smaller park that's doing quite well for the market it serves. I think a lot of the disappointment stems from having the Cedar Fair label on it, and being a CF park makes people instantly expect more. As much as a big new coaster like a B&M would be appreciated, I just don't think they're ready for one. Maybe they will be ready in another decade or so, but as for right now, I'm afraid it might not work out.

That being said, I still think MiA should still add something small for 2015 because when the general public starts noticing that there haven't been any new attractions added for a while, people will lose interest and attendance could drop.

You do realize MIA pulls in almost as many quest as VF, has alot less operating cost and has the highest profit margins in the chain right? It is not dying at all, its actually doing very well and above expectations.

I can see that English isn't your first language livai, but I think you mention something about it being most profitable compared to Dorney or Worlds of Fun. Well, yeah, it is. Combined with a lower operational cost across the whole board (games, merch, food, rides) and the fact that it brings in roughly over 600,000 guests annually (just a guess, think this was the last ballpark number the park released a couple years ago, we all know CF's stance on releasing attendance numbers) means that this park really does bring in higher profit margins. Even with a comparable size park like Valleyfair and CA Great America, they don't have the big attractions or any of the major costs that those other parks have.

I know many locals visit the park and have season passes, but the park also pull people from across the midwest, even many from the Chicago, Indiana, and Detroit areas where you could consider that market already "taken" by bigger parks. Slowly but surely, I can see this park expanding very well over the next 5 years. I mean, ever since Cedar Fair has bought the park, they've been adding more attractions than they've been removing, and I consider this list pretty impressive, even if some rides are relocated.

2002 - Ripcord, Hydroblaster, Timbertown Railway, Jr. Go-Karts, Go-Karts, Dodgem, Be Bop Blvd (Yes, they really did add all these rides in 2002.)

2004 - Swan Boats

2005 - Funnel of Fear

2006 - Grand Rapids, Coasters

2008 - Thunderhawk

2010 - Bumper Boats (even though some of the boats came from Valleyfair, those have now been replaced by new boats as of 2013)

2011 - Beach Party - Removed Jolly Rodger and Treehouse Harbor for Beach Party

2012 - Removed Falling Star

2013 - Lakeside Gliders - Removed Go-Karts

2014 - New POS system with a fiber optic network

I mean, I know Cedar Fair has only added 1 coaster since they've owned the park, but they already have a world-class wooden roller coaster so there's really no need to add another one of those. All they need is a couple more modern flats, an upgraded kid's ride area like a Camp or Planet Snoopy, and a really good steel coaster and this park really is a perfect family destination. Throw in another restaurant and maybe a new water slide to replace a couple of the dated tube slides and I'd consider this park very well rounded.

^^ I don't know if I would consider the addition of POS and fiber optic upgrade in that list.

When I see other small parks like Silverwood, Holiday World, or even small chains like Silver Dollar City and Dollywood thriving in markets that are smaller or about the same size, you just have to question what the reason is for such neglect towards MiA?

My instinct is that CF uses most of its capital towards its biggest money makers like Knotts, Cedar Fair, KD, and KI, but MiA in particular has really been neglected when examining the chain as a whole, DESPITE what appears to me to be a healthy park.

Maybe you guys have earned the right to complain a bit more.

I've always wondered how much of that is true that the profits of smaller parks go into the bigger parks. I think the bigger parks pay for their own additions just fine.

Call me a Ouimet fanboi if you will but so far he has a track record of finding the weakness is the parks and fixing them. Has he fixed them all yet. Of course not, but he has implemented much needed improvement to each park and I think to the chain overall. If he looks at the numbers from MA and sees that attendance and spending are okay, the park probably won't see much right now. If he looks and sees room for growth, I think the park will receive an attraction that will allow for the growth.

If my home park was MIA, I'd feel neglected too. Had the SLC from GL been a BTR clone..... Not one bit.

^^ I don't know if I would consider the addition of POS and fiber optic upgrade in that list.

When I see other small parks like Silverwood, Holiday World, or even small chains like Silver Dollar City and Dollywood thriving in markets that are smaller or about the same size, you just have to question what the reason is for such neglect towards MiA?

I wouldn't either. Considering we continually are improving our fiber and POSs, even with major investments like SpinCycle.

The POS upgrade wasn't exactly cheap because there was nothing to begin with. There was no in-park network or anything to improve upon. It was a major expense and why it was the last park to receive the POS upgrade. I could of thrown the FUNtv additions in there, but that was a chain-wide cost and probably one of the single most expensive additions added to the chain. It would be why 2014 was the highest capital investment year because, let's just say those TVs they used weren't exactly cheap being 47" weather-proof 1080p outdoor TVs.

In reality though, this park is fairly young, even though it started in 1956 as a petting zoo, it didn't really become a full fledged amusement park until Rodger Jourden purchased it in 1968 and added Corkscrew in 1979. It didn't really start to become the park it is today until Wolverine Wildcat was built in 1988. The park always had large gaps in between coaster additions and there were big plans for this park in the early 2000's before Cedar Fair bought the park, but it would of made this park feel quite odd if some of those things came to fruition and I think those would of hurt the park more than it benefited.

I appreciate MiAd being my home park because it still feels like a family-ran park, even though it's ran by the second largest amusement park chain in North America. Sure it's not a Holiday World, but it doesn't need to be. Holiday World has an excellent market where it's located, since it's not very far from major cities such as Louisville, Indianapolis, St. Louis, and Nashville. The market for MiAd puts a rather hard damper on its draw because of where it's located. Now if it was closer to Grand Rapids, I can see it being the size of Valleyfair or CA Great America, but because its located north of Muskegon in a rather rural area, it's why we don't see it pulling more people in and in essence, more additions.

I do need to remind you guys that 2016 is the park's 60th anniversary year, which they usually add a major attraction, and I don't mean a small flat ride either. The park's 50th anniversary brought in Grand Rapids, a rather large Intamin raft ride, which was one of the most expensive projects at the park before Thunderhawk. I think we'll be seeing something big added to the park then, whether it's the rumored Hyper-GTX, a relocated and converted floorless Vortex, or some other multi-million dollar project.

The POS upgrade wasn't exactly cheap because there was nothing to begin with. There was no in-park network or anything to improve upon. It was a major expense and why it was the last park to receive the POS upgrade. I could of thrown the FUNtv additions in there, but that was a chain-wide cost and probably one of the single most expensive additions added to the chain. It would be why 2014 was the highest capital investment year because, let's just say those TVs they used weren't exactly cheap being 47" weather-proof 1080p outdoor TVs.

In reality though, this park is fairly young, even though it started in 1956 as a petting zoo, it didn't really become a full fledged amusement park until Rodger Jourden purchased it in 1968 and added Corkscrew in 1979. It didn't really start to become the park it is today until Wolverine Wildcat was built in 1988. The park always had large gaps in between coaster additions and there were big plans for this park in the early 2000's before Cedar Fair bought the park, but it would of made this park feel quite odd if some of those things came to fruition and I think those would of hurt the park more than it benefited.

I appreciate MiAd being my home park because it still feels like a family-ran park, even though it's ran by the second largest amusement park chain in North America. Sure it's not a Holiday World, but it doesn't need to be. Holiday World has an excellent market where it's located, since it's not very far from major cities such as Louisville, Indianapolis, St. Louis, and Nashville. The market for MiAd puts a rather hard damper on its draw because of where it's located. Now if it was closer to Grand Rapids, I can see it being the size of Valleyfair or CA Great America, but because its located north of Muskegon in a rather rural area, it's why we don't see it pulling more people in and in essence, more additions.

I do need to remind you guys that 2016 is the park's 60th anniversary year, which they usually add a major attraction, and I don't mean a small flat ride either. The park's 50th anniversary brought in Grand Rapids, a rather large Intamin raft ride, which was one of the most expensive projects at the park before Thunderhawk. I think we'll be seeing something big added to the park then, whether it's the rumored Hyper-GTX, a relocated and converted floorless Vortex, or some other multi-million dollar project.

Anniversary's don't always mean Big Rides. Kings Dominion celebrated 40 years by adding Mushrooms. SFGAm is celebrating 40 years by adding 3 old kids rides. Cedar Point is converting Mantis for it's 145th Anniversary. The list goes on.

You know, the 12-year additions really make this park MUCH more of a destination than before. Once you look at what the place was like BEFORE that time and what has been added in only 12 years, (which really is not a long time for many major projects,) this place has definitely improved. They are looking at giving a full park than adding that one BIG ride that would be complimented by nothing. Now would be the perfect time to look at a major project, but I can think of multiple cheap thrill rides, renovations, and an updated kid's area that can also be added to make this park a great one.

That's why I'm kind of glad the hyper coaster plans were put on hold because it would of been the attraction that might of been too over the top. What the park added instead in 2002 and the following years helped round out the park more. Rodger Jourden was always know as an over the top person and it might of lead to some potential issues down the road. I mean, he was taking a huge risk buying a $1 million Arrow Corkscrew back in 1979, which back then was completely unheard of for a small petting zoo to buy their first roller coaster from such a huge manufacturer. Cedar Point had just opened their Corkscrew not even 3 years prior.

His plans for the park were very ambitious after Shivering Timbers was built. Not only did he want a $7mil hypercoaster, but he also wanted to build a campground, a 300-room hotel, a new parking lot, and a convenience store/gas station all within a 5 year period after Timbers was built. The Jourden family did at least end up building the Duck Creek RV resort across the street in 2010, so at least that part is completed. I think the area is still missing a good hotel nearby, as it's a good 10-20min drive to the nearest hotels near the park.

A lot can happen in the next 5 years, but I'll bet that a new coaster, a major kid's area, a new water park attraction, and at least 1 or 2 new flat rides will be added at any point in time in those 5 years, since it's really what the park is missing. Of course I do imagine them taking a year or two off and just work on infrastructure improvements.